Who here would want to go there first?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to check out the Mars bars.

My work product is transmissible through radiowaves, and so I might be a potential colonist. Doubtful, though.

Giant planet or not, colonizing distant Kuiper Belt or Oort cloud objects may become a real possibility at some point in the future, but probably not for many generations. At a minimum, it would require some pretty mature developments of semi-closed artificial habitats (based on locally available resources) so it'd logically follow well after colonies had been established and thrived in the inner system.

To give an answer applicable to the original question: Back when I was younger and single I would have jumped at the chance to go off on an interplanetary trip, even if it would have been one way and resulted in a significantly shorter expected lifespan and carried with it a lot of discomfort and hard work. These days, though, leaving my family behind is a non-idea, and I wouldn't want to drag them along either.

Pioneers are in a sense, lucky to experience extraordinary achievements within their lifetime.
I saw somebody walking on the Moon when i was 13.
Ever since that very minute, some have been drilled and trained to reach a goal; Space.

All i got was a Virtual world of techno 'puters and a planet stuck in Economic Inflations & Wars.

We should *Be* on Mars already, incredibly solid Robotic Probes aside that still rolled (In Spirit case!) around on depleting batteries while Opportunity cratered an Hole-In-One against all odds.

And that's the whole point... Dare to explore or keep on dreaming while Jupiter & Saturn Moons are barely next door.

The Final Frontier is a mindset written aboard even on the ISS Calendar that daily clocks with the immediate neighborhood.

We shouldn't be looking down - but out to the outskirts of Heaven & beyond. Generations away.
Lucky them - no... lucky us.

Yeah, I agree that it's in our destiny. And I agree that we should have been there already. We waste an incredible amount of time & energy on useless crap, instead of helping focus on the things that we should be doing. It's not even 'space development' that we should be doing, but focusing on things that make it more likely. Watching sports, engaging in celebrity gossip, and worrying about pretty shoes is certainly not the way forward. The hours (and energy and $$$) wasted on crap is astounding.

Specifically space: I think we need a breakthrough to lower the costs. I prefer the space elevator route. The more people who do teeny things to help the SE research (from buying books and clicking on links devoted to it, all the way to helping support industries that benefit from carbon nanotubes), the faster it will happen.

Innovation in many areas of the human quest for the future precludes any choice we make.
There's pride when someone discover the Genome, but if a genius cures Cancer in one swoop - there's a revolution as much as Landing some of us on Mars.
Cuz, the race isn't over... not because of a militaristic Cold-War stockpiling of brute force weapons (even if only defensive in scope) but to prove ourselves that Pollution & extinction of the Species is of our own wrongdoings.

Terraformed Mars is an extra spare tire in the trunk for experimental attempts that lead to discoveries... while Io & Europa (etc) might have soooooo much resources to exploit, we've seen the last of Global poverty and developing countries.

Collective or individual, the fact remains; progress benefits the most.
And Space is a simple gateway to even greater hopes.

I am a firm believer in technology advancing exponentially but I still don't think we are going to see the colonization of Mars in our lifetime. It would about a million times cheaper, a million times easier, a million times more hospitable, and about a million times less far to travel in order to seriously colonize, for example, Antarctica or the oceans than Mars. So why would we do it? It would take amazing advances in technology and an epic cold-war-esque ****-waving contest for it to be remotely likely.

It's a symbol of Pioneering success - if anything.

But consider this; Resources of Fossil fuel are depleting rapidly... we're gonna need solutions fast.

Antarctica is a thick block of Ice and Greenland has sooooo much fresh-water it's mind boggling - given.

In the meantime, even if we were to plaster the whole continental shelves with underwater cities & facilities... the core issue hasn't been fixed - how and where to find the immense amounts of minerals, energy, agricultural supply necessary?

We can't even reasonably sustain 7.5+ billions today let alone twice (or three times more with shelves above occupied!) as much within the next two decades. Over-population is not about numbers, it's a matter of living_quality & means.
Read the section about Carrying Capacity here. These are verifiable facts and a solid set of predictions.

Off Earth.
Moon? Dust bowl.
Venus? Burn in hell.
Mars? Terraformable.

We're talkin' Thousands of years ahead, yes i know. The decision has to be taken, now.

In the meantime, even if we were to plaster the whole continental shelves with underwater cities & facilities... the core issue hasn't been fixed - how and where to find the immense amounts of minerals, energy, agricultural supply necessary?
There are still immense untapped terrestrial resources.

We're talkin' Thousands of years ahead, yes i know.
You're proposing something that takes thousands of years for a problem in the very near term? :confused:

The decision has to be taken, now.
What decision?

What decision?

Now with the Shuttles parked, what do we keep or maintain in Orbit - for good or necessary reasons?
The ISS, thousands of Satellites to sustain our luxury Toy_Phones & GPS gimmicks, a bunch of Military snooping_spies, weather monitoring assets?

Or do we go for the plentiful Resources nearby or further away?

THE decision...
Flash News in the Scientific wire; We are NOT alone in the Universe.
Not a fantasy, not a lie, not a speculation anymore, not even a myth.

It isn't a Film or an Astronomer glazing at the Stars through a convex mirror or tapping the sheer power of detection by the Hubble Telescope.

THEY are about 5 million years ahead of us in Technological progress, located in a spot exactly 5,420 LYs away from Earth & slightly above the Orion cluster. They're watching and heading this way.

It was proven -- just yesterday. In a microscopic fraction of the Space/Time Continuum.
Tomorrow is today.

Now with the Shuttles parked, what do we keep or maintain in Orbit - for good or necessary reasons?
The ISS, thousands of Satellites to sustain our luxury Toy_Phones & GPS gimmicks, a bunch of Military snooping_spies, weather monitoring assets?
The ISS continues to be served by Soyuz, and these satellites were never regularly visited.

Or do we go for the plentiful Resources nearby or further away?
At some point we will probably want the resources of the heavens. Resources exist to be consumed...

That said, I don't see the pressing need to get out there to solve problems we see today on Earth. That doesn't mean manned spaceflight now is unjustified or anything. It just means it isn't a cure for current problems.

THE decision...
Flash News in the Scientific wire; We are NOT alone in the Universe.
Not a fantasy, not a lie, not a speculation anymore, not even a myth.

It isn't a Film or an Astronomer glazing at the Stars through a convex mirror or tapping the sheer power of detection by the Hubble Telescope.

THEY are about 5 million years ahead of us in Technological progress, located in a spot exactly 5,420 LYs away from Earth & slightly above the Orion cluster. They're watching and heading this way.

It was proven -- just yesterday. In a microscopic fraction of the Space/Time Continuum.
Tomorrow is today.
:confused: Surely, you jest?

That said, I don't see the pressing need to get out there to solve problems we see today on Earth. That doesn't mean manned spaceflight now is unjustified or anything. It just means it isn't a cure for current problems.

:confused: Surely, you jest?

Foresight excluded i would agree, but taken into a global perspective - humanity has HUGE problems in too many areas to start a comprehensive list here. Anyhow, everyone knows what they are.

The probabilities are mind-boggling; given a Fermi paradox or the Drake equation.

We may be blind or unaware but it's not some proof or evidence that will state without a doubt that "We are actually Alone" considering Galaxies.
In fact, odds against are of the infinitesimal nano sized fraction realm.

But, i'm only talkin' of the immediate neighborhood... we're just starting a collection of detectable planets & systems. One day, we'll dig a path or reach over to witness it.
From Earth.

While I hold to Pascal's Wager on the existence of ET, I don't think you'll get much traction by insisting that they exist and are a good reason to colonise space. The problem is the insistence, btw, not the actual thinking that "if ET exists, colonising space is a good idea"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom