not complicated enough :/

gracjanski

Civ IV + V are the best
first of all thank you for all the efforts and for the fun I had with this mod. I love Star Trek, saw every important franchise and had a lot of fun with that mod.
but unfortunately the fun finished very fast, somehow it doesnt give me diversification and motivation to play it very long. Now I see why: this mod makes civ 4 too simple: For research you dont have many options, it goes straight to next researches. in cities you dont have many options to specialize or change much. More planets in star systems would help to have more options for star systems. there are not many units.
on the other side the maps are very open, that makes frustrating to defend your star systems. in BTS you need to consider continents, oceans, mountains, that makes easier to defend your kingdom and that makes you to thing how use the map for defend effectively, in ST there is almost no use of the map :/
My priority is: give more technologies and give more variety to researches, then I think it would be fun to give more planets for every star system, so that you can set up your systems better.

While I'm not saying it's not 'complicated enough', there is a lot of replay value that I've found. The replay is the difference of the 'enemy' civs you run into should be different every game you play.

This is not like typical Star Trek (TV or movie) which is narrow in focus but is rather broad. The expansiveness of space adds to the game. You have to be mindful of those around you and what needs to be done to keep your systems safe.

A variaty to research would be nice, but Deanej did put a lot of work into the current one to keep it balanced and any additions would need to be done carefully. One major issue is that the AI could get bogged down with too many choices and just fall far behind you in the long run.

a friend in our forum suggest to make research more expensive and like in Road to war. I hinted our players in the german forum for this mod ;)

There hasn't been an update in awhile for the Space Empires mod; is this still actively supported, or is it stable 'as-is'?

Plenty stable I've found. Just make sure to have any image packs that are mentioned in the readme. It's a fairly big mod with all parts together. They started to make a newer mod for the current Space Empires game, but interest was lost, kinda like here. That said, they did a very thorough job on this one.

Sounds cool. I don't think it's fair to say interest has died here; technically this mod is on it's 4th full release, and it's been around for 3 years. I've been around since 2008 and early on development was rapid and almost all bugs and kinks worked put, but now just like the nod you mentioned it is very stable.

Top Bottom