IO6 - Math is for the weak!

IdiotsOpposite

Boom, headshot.
My last two games (IO5 and Matrix1) stalled. So I'm starting a new one. I don't have many details yet, so here we go!

Basically, I was struck with an idea earlier after watching a certain game where the players refused to ever get Economics (you know the one). What if you went the entire game without ever researching the Mathematics tech? Now, this would be extremely difficult, as it is equivalent to saying "no siege for you". Also, it would have to be on a single-continent map, otherwise the game would be impossible.

Now, by a convoluted path, Riflemen ARE allowed under the "No Math" rule. So that will probably be our strategy, conquer the world with Riflemen. Here's what I have so far:

Civilization: <unknown>
Map Type: Pangaea
Map Size: Normal
Difficulty: Monarch
Variant Rules: No Mathematics

Anyone want to join? I'm hoping for 3-5 people.

Confirmed:
IdiotsOpposite (of course)
AntiTwelve
woopdeedoo
BobRoberts

I don't think I've played a normal game of civ 4 since '07. Sign me up.

I signed you up. I assume you have BTS?

Oh, I play with BUG mod, but that's hardly a requirement. It's just I like the convenience.

I signed you up. I assume you have BTS?
THAT, sir, made me laugh. I was tempted to say, "What's BTS" but decided to play nice.

I'll probably implement BUG simply for the War Dec and leader attitudes' options.

THAT, sir, made me laugh. I was tempted to say, "What's BTS" but decided to play nice.

I'll probably implement BUG simply for the War Dec and leader attitudes' options.

Ahahaha... just making sure.

Now, I'm going to take a look a bit to see who the ideal leader is. Since we're not going to get any siege... at all, we'll want to be able to get a strong military out. So, here are some possible choices for Civilizations I've laid out. Assume all leaders are possible.

Babylon
Inca (I don't want to do this, just because it's too obvious a choice)
Mongolia
Ottomans
Persians
Rome
Zulu

Of those, I'd like to play the Babylonians or perhaps the Ottomans under Mehmed. Your thoughts?

Hi there

Long time lurker here. I'm dying to try a SG. Please can I be on the roster?

Sure, let's go for it. Any preferences on the civilizations?

Oh, I found out that neither Babylon's UB nor the Ottomans' would be allowed. So I'm thinking the Zulu might be a better choice.

Signing in to lurk, IO I'm suprised that you haven't included Toku with his second UU or Monty with his merry ability two whip cities into the ground.

Plus you'll be taking a civ you don't want to be up against if you go this route.

Also Maths is always plural.

Signing in to lurk, IO I'm suprised that you haven't included Toku with his second UU or Monty with his merry ability two whip cities into the ground.

Plus you'll be taking a civ you don't want to be up against if you go this route.

Also Maths is always plural.

Hmm... you do have good choices there. But what do you mean by "second UU"? I thought Toku only had the Samurai, which we wouldn't be allowed to use.

Monty is a good idea, though...

Hmm... you do have good choices there. But what do you mean by "second UU"? I thought Toku only had the Samurai, which we wouldn't be allowed to use.

AGG/PRO rifles and infantry of course. Wouldn't you like to be the proud owner of Combat1 Drill2 CG1 regiments of well trained riflemen. It's more in the combination of traits than anything else.

AGG/PRO rifles and infantry of course. Wouldn't you like to be the proud owner of Combat1 Drill2 CG1 regiments of well trained riflemen. It's more in the combination of traits than anything else.

What is this infantry you speak of? Infanty requires Assembly Line, which requires Steam Power, which requires Chemistry, which requires Mathematics.

Although, yes, I do see your point. Toku would also be a good idea.

See, this is why I wanted you in the game.

lurker's comment:

Great idea!

I'd love to join but can't. :(

I think Mathematics is likely to catch up to you at some stage, so you'll probably have to shut down research at Rifling or thereabouts and minimal tech' stuff like Divine Right. Hopefully the game will be all but won before then.

Best of luck! :)

This appeals, I'd quite like to sign up for this... time can be a little patchy nowadays, but I'd be interested if the occasional skip would be OK?

Started having a look at no maths and was amazed at some of the changes it would make to the shape of a game.

On the no siege front:
Spy economy might be good to promote revolts and remove the wall defenses.
Flank promoted horsey units could be interesting to try for the softening up aspect of siege weapons.

Knights would be doubly useful as you can't get CS and so can't build macemen, make a god replacement offensive unit. Unfortunately, you do 'top out' at knights as no maths = no music = no military tradition.

But these things would definitely add some variety to a usual game. No civil service/macemen is an exciting thought - end up with those in nearly every game of civ 4!

On the civs front, I'd also throw these into the hat:
Summeria has those nasty vultures and the ziggurat could be great for a spy economy.
Byzantium has their amazingly OP knight replacement and I think spiritual is a fun trait for SGs.
England might be good. Redcoats are quite nasty. Victoria might be 'better' than Lizzy as philo is a bit questionable - math bulbs will happen from a lot of GPs... making financial even tastier...

Not fussy though, any old leader is good with me!

This appeals, I'd quite like to sign up for this... time can be a little patchy nowadays, but I'd be interested if the occasional skip would be OK?

Started having a look at no maths and was amazed at some of the changes it would make to the shape of a game.

On the no siege front:
Spy economy might be good to promote revolts and remove the wall defenses.
Flank promoted horsey units could be interesting to try for the softening up aspect of siege weapons.

Knights would be doubly useful as you can't get CS and so can't build macemen, make a god replacement offensive unit. Unfortunately, you do 'top out' at knights as no maths = no music = no military tradition.

But these things would definitely add some variety to a usual game. No civil service/macemen is an exciting thought - end up with those in nearly every game of civ 4!

On the civs front, I'd also throw these into the hat:
Summeria has those nasty vultures and the ziggurat could be great for a spy economy.
Byzantium has their amazingly OP knight replacement and I think spiritual is a fun trait for SGs.
England might be good. Redcoats are quite nasty. Victoria might be 'better' than Lizzy as philo is a bit questionable - math bulbs will happen from a lot of GPs... making financial even tastier...

Not fussy though, any old leader is good with me!

One other thing: No Civil Service means we will never be able to chain farms. We'll never be able to get Biology either.

And yeah, picking the Civ will be the hardest part. But you're on the list now!

You know what? Byzantium, IMO, doesn't get enough love. We're going for Byzantines!

And no, I'm not trying to pick the best one. I just want to have fun.

SOOO...

Here's what we know about the Byzantines!

Byzantium has a rather nice unique unit, the Cataphract. This unit deals 2 more damage than the knight it's based on. It will be useful.

Byzantium's unique building is the Hippodrome. In addition to the culture bonus from the theatre it's based on, it also gives +1 happiness, +2 with horses. And Drama is a technology that we can research.

Byzantium's leader is Justinian I, who is Spiritual and Imperialistic. This will allow us to generate settlers quickly, as well as not have to worry about Anarchy. And from the looks of things, we might do well with a religious economy, eh? I wonder if we can pull off religion economy with a spy research center.

Byzantium starts with The Wheel and Mysticism, again seeming to promote a religion-based economy.

So here's a plan I'm thinking of: get our gold from religion and spend it on espionage. Go for Drama and Guilds as well to get those delicious Cataphracts and Hippodromes. Settle quickly with our boosted Settler rate. And conquer the world in the name of the Eastern Romans!

So... thoughts?

lurker's comment:

'Yes' ... just post a game and a roster! ;)

Justinian is an excellent choice btw ... it's quite feasible to get to Guilds somewhere around 200AD (or earlier) if you're committed and prepared to bulb your :gp:s.

Okay! Here is our illustrious leader, Justinian, holding his invisible cigarette:

And here are our three game starts!

START 1:

START 2:

START 3:

Personally, I think Start 1 would be best. It has corm, and it doesn't have any Calendar resources (which we can't use, because Calendar requires math for some reason). Did I mention it has Flood Plains? Did I mention it has corm?

EDIT: Did I mention there are rules? Yeah, there are. Here they are!

1. Style of play is far more important than technical accuracy or winning.
2. Turn reports should be entertaining to read; an auto-log dump is not a turn report.
3. Above all, have fun!

Top Bottom