Mod development / new civs / strange behavior

davidmarshburn

Chieftain
i'm working on a mod which includes several new civs and a map on which those new civs have specified starting conditions. i see the following odd behavior:

- browse mods, check my mod
- back -> single player -> setup game
- select the map, check 'load scenario'
- at this point, the only civ/leader choice available is "random leader - random civilization"
- start scenario
- at this point i do get a random civ/leader from the ones defined (although it always seems to be the first civ/leader from the scenario in 4 of 4 tries)
- exit to main menu
- mods -> single player -> setup game
- select the map, check 'load scenario'
- now, all the new civs and the appropriate list of civs are available. i can pick and play them just fine, etc.

has anyone seen this behavior before? any ideas of how to fix it or of things to check? it strikes me that all the information is there but that the civs aren't getting loaded or loaded correctly until a scenario actually starts. i'm not sure what to do about that.

this was done with only modbuddy and worldbuilder.

there doesn't seem to be anything wrong in the log files.

thanks for any ideas or advice!

-david

This tends to be a problem with the order of loading when the game setup screen appears. Not really sure how to fix without really delving into it.

how is the order of loading specified? the order that the xml files appear in the action tab/list in modbuddy?

it doesn't appear to be the case that load order is determined by the order in which things appear in the "actions" tab in modbuddy.

i swizzled some things around so that the dependencies were all top to bottom, but no change in behavior. when i first reported the problem, i had a leader in the list of files after (lower) than the civ in which he is used. i changed that order, but no change in behavior.

any ideas?

Could you post a link to the mod, and we'll grab it and take a look?

thanks for the response!

i've never put it up online anywhere since it wasn't working quite right. i'd be glad to zip it up and send it to you, if that works, or if you can suggest some other way to get it to you...

it happens with any user created civilization. You could literally download any custom made civilization, place it on a pre-set start location map and it will happen every single time. I think I reported this bug about 4 months ago, so its really quite disappointing you guys haven't fixed it in 2 major patches. Its obviously a cache issue if that helps.

sorry for the thread necromancy, I had followed a link

Top Bottom