New Unit : Swedish Stridsvagn S103

Boulboulgadol

Gadol as my tanks barrels

This is the Swedish S103. This is a small defensive mech infantry.
It is cute and funny ! :)
To attack or defend, they descend their back and raise their barrel, and can stay “fortified” that way. That's what I did for the Fortify FLC.
I think this is just a flavor unit for the scandinavian mech inf, and it should use similar stats.

Check out these ingame shots (some S103 are forified in the 2nd pic):

Thanks to Omnimover who sent me a S103 picture at first, and gave me a sample of original Swedish camo too. I had some precious advices from him !
I also have to take my hat off to Steph for his wonderfull Civ3_SBB tool. Man, this just same me a HELL of time ! I'm not affraid to make long animations any more ! :goodjob:

As always (for those who know my work), I have to add some more personnal sounds. Here I just modified existing ones to fit the animations.

Check the Units Uptades Announcements thread for updates.

This zip includes FLC's, ini file, and pedia entries/icons.

The pedia entries contains some options you could want to apply on this tank, so just delete what doesn't fit your stats.

Have Fun !

(The preview may be slowly diplayed by Explorer. I don't know why, but the anims are faster in game)

Download it !

Hey, Boulboulgadol, I've been wondering what you've been up to. I hadn't seen any posts in such a while. Well, you beat me to the Scandinavian mechanized infantry unit. I was getting set to make one. Oh well. It's nice to see another unit from you. Yours are always of the highest quality! Hopefully, we'll see you around here more frequently again.

I have always loved the look of this tank thanks for making it. Very good work.:goodjob:

outstanding!! as normal dude. i know someone who will be very happy with this. no, not me. it,s the :beer: man

Vikings have always known how to build craft with a sense of style, flair, and undeniable determination. Now this a tank I actually LOVE to look at! Outstanding job!

Originally posted by utahjazz7
Hey, Boulboulgadol, I've been wondering what you've been up to. I hadn't seen any posts in such a while. Well, you beat me to the Scandinavian mechanized infantry unit. I was getting set to make one. Oh well. It's nice to see another unit from you. Yours are always of the highest quality! Hopefully, we'll see you around here more frequently again.

Yes, I've been very busy at work these late times and I think they're not over yet. I didn't post a lot, but I lately saw your work. You're doing pretty good too, dude ! ;)

To others, thanks for your comments ! I hope you'll enjoy it in game !

Originally posted by Boulboulgadol
I didn't post a lot, but I lately saw your work. You're doing pretty good too, dude ! ;)

Well, thank you. I'm trying to make quality units like yours. My animations are better than they were before, but they still don't run as well as yours.

I know it doesn't look like any other of its class but actually it's not a mech infantry unit. It's not a troop carrier; Stridsvagn is swedish for tank and that's how she was used by the Royal Swedish Army.

But it's a beautiful unit Boul made (causing a flood of drool to join the coffee all over the keyboard) and on behalf of the swedish civ playing community I sincerely thank him!

Regards,
/Wolfhart:viking:

Well, as is can't fire on a move, I figured it would be a better part for it to defend cities. I can't seriously imagine such a unit directly against any kind of T90, Leclerc, Bradley etc... It would be way too vulnerable. But in a Civ3 like game, why not... ?

Anyway, everybody is of course free to use this stuff the way they want according to their particular mods.

Master words for any unit creator are : HAVE FUN !! :crazyeye:

Well, as is can't fire on a move, I figured it would be a better part for it to defend cities. I can't seriously imagine such a unit directly against any kind of T90, Leclerc, Bradley etc...

Yep, all too true... the S was built to take on T-62, AMX-30, M60, Leopard 1 and others of the same generation as the S. And due to the turretless design a direct assault against those was tactically unsound, and not recommended. Swedish crews were in the end trained to perform ambushes against newer enemy MBTs and the Strv103 is no longer in service (replaced by Strv121 = Leopard 2A4 and Strv122 = Leopard 2A5 Improved S).

So the defending role is indeed where the S excelled as a sort of tracked and armoured fully automatic antitank gun with extremely low silhouette, hard to see and kill, and with a lethal punch even against newer MBTs. So you're right; the S shouldn't replace the Modern Armor, it's older and less capable.

Now that the lecture is over, I must once more compliment you on this beautiful animation, not only goodlooking and true to the original but also blending very well with the ordinary Civ3-graphics. Seeing your S go and fire actually takes me back to younger days running like hell with a AT-crew from a couple of Strv103 chasing us and laughing at us in scanian.

Thank you!
/Wolfhart:viking:

Looks good! Consistently good work, keep them coming.

Top Bottom