TSG9 After Action Report

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Hi everyone and welcome to the TSG9 After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

Please use the Civ5 game submission page to submit your final, first play through, .Civ5Save file, saved AFTER the victory ceremony if you were not conquered (using the "Lemme play one more turn" feature.).

Please also state your HoF score.

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay). The game will not be closed as such, but after two weeks, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the closing date.

Good Luck and have fun! :high5:

lol, I literally just stayed up all night playing this game after it was posted. So...

I really like social policies, so I decided to play warmonger out of one city and puppet the rest.

I built a bunch of warriors hoping for some iron, but ended up having to rely on war elephants and horsemen instead since Oslo was too stupid to build any workers for their 6 patch! :mad: This evolved into an army of knights, cavalry, and even tanks for a few turns in the late game. Was sort of fun to use those for a change, but incredibly frustrating whenever I was up against a hardened city. By the end of the game I'd received way more units from city-states than I'd lost so I never had to build any extras past 500 B.C. or so.

I learned about research agreements from folks here in TSG8 so I decided to leave all of the other civs alone after beating them up and taking their lunch money. By the end of the game I was denounced and hated by everybody, but my economy was so strong that I could force-feed them all the gold they needed to complete my RA's for me! :) I never got around to attacking Greece, Japan, or the Ottomans, but I did leave Siam, Persia, Mongolia, and China in the game after cutting them down to one or two cities each.

I stumbled ungracefully through the tech-tree at the end instead of RA blocking and beelining the right techs to get to globalism. I'm sure I could have shaved off 10-20 turns if I was thinking ahead more instead of playing with tanks... ;)

Victory Screen:
Spoiler :

Social Policies:
Spoiler :

Wheeeeeeee sleepy time! :crazyeye:

I just love playing Ghandi, the ultimate vertical civ! I ended up playing the entire game with two cities and three to four military units. I really get an exhilaration out of being surrounded by superior firepower and yet somehow weaseling my way thru. Its difficult to imagine why somebody didn't just squash me like a bug, maybe it was my 120 defense cities?

Overall, this game was all about RAs out the cornhole, developing friendships, pacts of cooperation, and defensive pacts to protect myself. It was also about supporting the second biggest threat to balance power against the first biggest threat, pitting the lesser powers against each other, and being patient with my CSs. It took me a long time to get one, longer for two, and so on, but I eventually got there.

I also had a cultural victory back-up plan. I had completed all of tradition, piety, patronage, and freedom. I needed 14 more turns to complete order and I was going to have an engineer for the utopia project.

Spoiler :
The two dominant powers in my game ended up being Sully and Khan. For some reason Khan liked me and we had a wonderful relationship thruout the game. Lots of friendships and defensive pacts are probably the real reason nobody screwed with me.

Wu was totally into me until Khan killed her. Darius was a good friend until near the end. Alex was a complete douche as usual but I didn't discover him until well into the renaissance. Tokugawa was Sully's first victim so I barely got an RA out of him.

Rami (Siam) was my primary adversary thru the game. He was nearest me at the start, settled even closer to me, and was competing for all the near CS. Towards the end of the game he finally declared war on me and he dragged Darius in against me as well. I have to admit it kind of hurt that Darius would attack me after all we had been thru, but all is fair in love and war.

Sadly for Rami I was able to bring Sully in against him for about 100 dollars and I brought Khan in against Darius for a similarly paltry sum. Since Khan and Sully were THE dominant military forces in the game, that put a stopper to Rami and Darius's shenanigans. Still tho, Siam did conquer one of my CS allies before he went, which made me a little nervous about reaching 10 UN votes. To make matters worse, Khan attacked some CS that was allied with Darius and one of my CS's declared permanent war on him. That sucked a fat one b/c I had no way to make peace between my CS and my best friend Khan. Khan conquered that CS and I got even more nervous about getting to 10 votes.

In the end, I took all of the CS that belonged to Siam when he finally went down and then I got everybody to DOW Alex and took all his CS as well, all while remaining on trading terms. In the end tho, the aforementioned loss of my two allied CS meant I would have to steal a CS from Sully at the end.

Sully beat me building the UN by 3 turns and SydneyOp by 2 (grrr). He also had about 20000 large compared to my 3000 bucks. With three turns to go, he supplanted me for one CS and I took it right back for 1000 (gulp). With one turn to go I supplanted him twice (for a total of 11 votes), and he did nothing about it. That is the only really hollow thing about this victory. Why didn't he spend his money to supplant every CS on the last turn? He had three times the cash of every other player put together.

I feel great just to have gotten the win and enjoyed this one very much. I didn't even have to break the GOTM rules this time. Overall, the game feels better balanced now, but it still doesn't feel like the AI is intelligent at all. On these higher levels of difficulty they have big production advantages and whatnot, but they still let you win in boneheaded ways. I think I need to get into multiplayer, but I have a job and a family so I squeeze these games into some pretty strange time slots.

I also tried and failed once again to attach map files. I saved some map files from my game, but I get "invalid file" errors when I try to attach them using the "manage attachments" feature on this site. I downloaded this IRFanView software per another poster's suggestion, but I obviously have no idea what I'm doing. Any other ideas about how to post map files as jpg or tif or something? Do I need to buy some CiV add on?

Hey Aaronius,

Sounds like you played a little more in character for Ghandi than I did. :)

As far as posting images goes, they're completely separate from saved games or replays. The images come from screenshots, which you can take in-game by simply pressing the print-screen key. There's no confirmation or anything (though you might hear a very brief hard-drive noise as it's writing the file and the game might stall for a split second), but the images should show up in Windows Explorer under ..\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\ScreenShots and are numbered chronologically for you as you take them. The images are initially stored as TARGA (Truevision Advanced Raster Graphics Array) .TGA files. These are lossless (high quality) image files, but since they tend to be rather large you don't see them on the web (where bandwidth is life) much. Before you can do anything with your images you'll want to find a program that can view and convert them. The most common program for doing this is Photoshop, which is ridiculously expensive. That's where your free IRFanView program comes in! ;)

Once you've opened the images with IRFanView and converted the ones you want to .jpg files (slightly lower quality but much smaller files) then you'll need to upload them to the web so you can link to them in your posts. Any site like Picasa, Photobucket, ImageShack, or even Facebook will do. After registering at one of these sites and uploading your images (the sites can walk you through the process) you'll need to copy the URL for each image that you want to link to in your forum post here.

Once you've got the images hosted somewhere on the web and have the links handy then you can simply post them here by placing those links between

This got pretty close at some points. Between all the wars and my sometime weakness noone wanted to have any diplomatic relationship with me exept for the city states. In the Course of the game 5 got conquered by other civs though, 4 because i was in war.

I managed to liberate 2 of them in the end, and to get the upper hand in all 3 wars.

Spoiler :

Built in place, than formed a second city to the south, river and lots of resources. I started with going for Tradition this time, since i thought many cities wouldnt be that wise with Ghandi. Well.. my people were very very happy and i think i should have just built a few more cities. Especially a coastal city.. not having ships can get hairy, even on a map with a big continent. Since we were going for Diplomatic victory, Siam was definitely a rival, and i spent some time to conquer their city. All in all it took me too damn long. Partly because there was just no Iron in sight. I had a bit of an army and decided to go east and continue, but the Japanese were just too hard at that point,s o i wated around for a while until war came to me (And 2 allied CS wer taken by the Ottomans).

The Japanese were the hardest, but i needed to get through them to get the city states back from the ottomans. I couldnt liberate the two conquered by Greece later on though, since Darius decided his war with Khan was not all that important and send all of his army against me instead. Good thing the AI isnt that smart about conquering cities. I managed to hold him off for a few rounds and got my army back west, while finally being able to make peace with greece and the ottomans. They seemingly wanted a piece of darius, who was then everyones center of attention. Poor guy.

Somehow the whole diplomacy thing eludes me.. I always end up conquering most of the world since it just does not want good realtions.

Hey Aaronius,

Sounds like you played a little more in character for Ghandi than I did. :)

As far as posting images goes, they're completely separate from saved games or replays. The images come from screenshots, which you can take in-game by simply pressing the print-screen key. There's no confirmation or anything (though you might hear a very brief hard-drive noise as it's writing the file and the game might stall for a split second), but the images should show up in Windows Explorer under ..\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\ScreenShots and are numbered chronologically for you as you take them. The images are initially stored as TARGA (Truevision Advanced Raster Graphics Array) .TGA files. These are lossless (high quality) image files, but since they tend to be rather large you don't see them on the web (where bandwidth is life) much. Before you can do anything with your images you'll want to find a program that can view and convert them. The most common program for doing this is Photoshop, which is ridiculously expensive. That's where your free IRFanView program comes in! ;)

Once you've opened the images with IRFanView and converted the ones you want to .jpg files (slightly lower quality but much smaller files) then you'll need to upload them to the web so you can link to them in your posts. Any site like Picasa, Photobucket, ImageShack, or even Facebook will do. After registering at one of these sites and uploading your images (the sites can walk you through the process) you'll need to copy the URL for each image that you want to link to in your forum post here.

Once you've got the images hosted somewhere on the web and have the links handy then you can simply post them here by placing those links between

I missed TSG 8 with my favorite science for a few days, so I was a bit angry when I saw that this round is diplomatic one. I was never good in diplomacy in CIV IV and in fact never tried a diplo win in CIV V too. But then I realized that, it's only matter of science and money and that Gandhi is such great leader for my style of play. I went peacefully with two superb cities at the beginning, I added two more (one for iron, one for 3 fish). I easily survived two dow's by Siam and finished the game in turn 280.
Very good game for a peaceful play.
Thank you.

Attachments

• TSG_9_zvovesny_0280 AD-1820.Civ5Save
    911.7 KB · Views: 64
  • Gandhi_0280 AD-1820_10.Civ5Replay
    103.2 KB · Views: 79
1909 Diplomatic Victory. Very low score, I only had four cities. Thanks for the game :)

Date: 1937 AD, Score: 1343, Victory: Diplomatic

I'm kind of in disbelief about this win. It's my lowest scoring win for a non-scenario game. Only Siam declared war on me in medieval era and I whooped their butt. After that, it was just the other major powers and there perpetual battle with Mongolia. It was funny to see Suleiman lay waste to the Japanese empire (though they did scrape out two cities). I'm almost started to believe that the AI has a special dispensation just for Gandhi.

So with perpetual peace I just built up culture to get some of the patronage track (along with tradition and a few liberty in the beginnning) and the 'United Front' policy of the Order track. Then I would just save up to 1K of gold and buyout each city-state. Once I built the UN it was actually a close vote because Greece had 6 city-states allied that I hadn't even met. Still, my 10 allied city-states (plus my two self-votes) gave the win! :goodjob:

Turn 279. Score 1189.

I only fought defensive wars to defend my meager 2 cities. I got messed up 2x with not allowing enough time to tech block properly on a couple RA's so that hurt me signficantly on turns. As soon as I saw Siam I was thinking that I needed to put him on ice so he didn't compete with me for the CS's but I just never got around to fielding a military....it seemed so anti-Gandi! :)

I decided I was going to do something different this game and just go with the one city. There was all this talk about a vertical empire vs. a horizontal one, so I thought this might be the perfect chance to test it out.

It actually worked pretty well. Delhi was huge. My happiness was 45+ the entire game. I never had to go to war with anyone. Only two civs were hostile toward me in the entire game, and one of them ended up being my friend in the end. I won a diplo victory pretty easily.

I did lots of RAs without any blocking. I should have won 10 turns earlier, but Genghis AND Alex each bribed a CS from me between the end of my turn and the UN Vote...so I was one vote short and had to wait 10 turns. :mad: Near they end, I found myself trading gpt for lump sums of gold so I could make sure that I had 12 solid CS as allies, just in case Genghis and Alex tried any more shenanigans. In hindsight, if I would have went for the satelites to get the whole map that would have helped. There were several CSs that noone even found on the map that would have been easy to bribe.

This was my second game with the new patch and I'm still not sure on the impact of the new SPs. But after my scout popped a +30 culture early on, I decided to go for the +20% wonder SP and get a NC before settling the second city. When I saw Siam to the south I knew I would probably need to "acquire" them at some point and I conquered his capital after building some longswordmen. After that I didnt go to war anymore and just kept focusing on RA's and timing the great person production.

For SPs, I went for the Patronage tree and then for Rationalism to get the 2 Free Tech bonus. When I was approaching the next threshold in culture I could see that I needed to stall for 5 turns. So I annexed a small 2 pop city, which Siam gave me in the peace deal and that delayed my next SP, so I could use the 2 Free Tech to get Biology and Steam Power. I later sold the city again :)

I also managed to get both GL, SH and the Oracle. SH was quite late and it surprised how few wonders the AI build. My final great person from Delhi was an Engineer and he helped me with the UN.

No one declared war on me, but all except Ghengis Khan and Suliman were Guarded in most of the game. I didn't find Alexander until the end and he stayed Neutral.

Attachments

• TSG9_slugster_0199 AD-1390.Civ5Save
    786.5 KB · Views: 61
The following factors played into this game:

1) Initial warrier move was in the wrong direction so I settled in place only to find out that I missed getting a third luxury in the capital's border.

2) Didn't get any culture from ruins.

3) Went with liberty only to find out that by the time I got the free settler Siam had settled the only good spot nearby.

4) Captured a Siam city but couldn't figure out how to raze it. It wasn't quite in the spot I wanted it. However I had to annex it and spend the time in unhappiness getting the courthouse up. (edit: just read the game post and sure enough no city razing was enabled. Have to be more careful the next time)

5) China and Persia DOWed away two RAs JUST before they were due. So RAs mean that nothing happens for 29 turns then on turn 30 a bunch of research gets done??? How is that realistic? RAs would make more sense if you got credit for the time spent on them.

Of all the above the one that I think hurt the most was the settle in place on turn one. It meant that I had a subprime location for the entire game.

Oh well better luck next game.

I tried to find out for a while now but i havent had any luck with that one...

What does NC stand for?

I tried to find out for a while now but i havent had any luck with that one...

What does NC stand for?

National College :)

I am often perplexed by all the abbreviations people use on this site....

This was really amazing game for me.
Directly after loosing in previous TSG i was able to get my first king level victory, so I think playing these games works good for me. :)

This i also started with not too much hopes. My target was to stay alive for longer than in previous TSG, so 250+ turns would be great.

Plan was to get 2-3 cities and stay with them only. Grow them vertically, control money income and happiness and try to stay alive.
I settled in start position and build scout, worker, granary, library, war elephant and national college.
My second city was founded at turn 74 east of Delhi at the coast. Turn after i found out that it was a mistake, because only 3 more turns was needed in Delhi to finish NC. Because of that mistake it was delayed and finished at turn 105.
My third and last city was founded north of Delhi at turn 113.

This is how it looks at this point:
Spoiler :

At turn 166 there was first war that I know about (Siam vs. Persia). Later also Greece and Mongolia joined and they made peace and declared wars between each other through rest of the game (also joined by Japan later). I was just trying to improve cities and stay out of trouble. I was in dead end in every aspect, but luckily friends with everyone.

Spoiler :

At turn 224 Siam (at friendly) declared war against me. I think I'm still felling a bit weird about diplomatics in civ5.
This was the war that lasted through my whole game and ultimately bring my defeat.

Spoiler :

At this point i was sure, that it's over. I had practically no soldiers and he's military force at my land was huge. I was disappointed that i won't even get my 250+ turns. But...

He's force crushed on my cities. Not even sure how, but my cities defensive abilities was amazing. Full health infantry attacking Delhi was dying in one attack. At this point i quickly realized, that Canon added to these defense will make them alive and well for much longer and game is not lost yet.

After 250 turns mark i was still there and Siam force was gone. He kept sending some troops but most of the time they didn't even reach my city to attack it. So it was going great :)

Spoiler :

After some time he was trying to make peace, but peace treaty, where i should give all my gold, resources and 2 cities was a no go. :)

So i kept upgrading while still at war and wasn't even paying attention to it any more. But this was my mistake. At turn 293 I saw, that Delhi was target of air strikes. Make me smile that he tries some different approach, but few turns later i wasn't smiling anymore ;)
It turns out, he has 10 planes in neighbor city to the south and Delhi defense wasn't able to survive that.

Spoiler :

It fells a little wrong that there can be multiple aircraft units in attacker's city, but i can defend only with one artillery/anti aircraft unit in mine.

Lost it at turn 298.

I realized my mistake was not having any anti aircraft defense, so quickly start building it in Mumbai, but it was already too late.

Spoiler :

It was able to take down one bomber, but with 10+ air force attack it was lost at the same turn. And then... booom:

Spoiler :

Siam nuked me! :)

At this point i couldn't fight with him and he took my 2 cities not much after.

Defeat at turn 314.

Plan was to survive more than 250 turns and I managed to do that. Got a great game and lots of fun with it.

Attachments

• Gandhi_0313 AD-1886.Civ5Save
    925.9 KB · Views: 58
  • Gandhi_0313 AD-1886_17.Civ5Replay
    136.6 KB · Views: 69
Wow, I got lucky this game, and I guess I'm getting better at RAs.

My submitted game was 224, but I also reloaded turn 180 autosave to see if I could correct a mistake and sure enough I got a turn 208 win.

Spoiler :
I got an early culture hut and took tradition. Took liberty, settler and worker after that, then got into patronage and scholasticism earlier than I ever have before. Two early culture city states was a huge bonus to me. I got an encampment request from one which had a captured worker from another so it was 250 each to ally them!

This map was great. I usually play on continents, but having so many civs to trade with so early was a lot of extra money. I quickly added two maritime and a militaristic to my allies with the help of one more barb quest for the militaristic.

I settled only one additional city on the excellent river to the south above Siam. I chose to settle early and buy an extra library there because I didn't want to miss the spot. To my amazement I was able to build both SH and Oracle in the capital after NC finished. I haven't been able to do that since pre-patch. After monument in second city I built military. Oslo gave me 6 iron thank God since I didn't have any in my lands and after some build up DoWed Siam. I took them down pretty easily once I upgraded to longswords and left them in two luxory-less cities. Once the money started coming in from puppets and more trades I started adding a lot more city states to my allies. After Siam I decided to go after Japan since they had started encroaching on my land and also left them in two cities. Annoyingly I couldn't get a trade network with their core cities because a city state and Siam was in the way. Later I annexed Kyoto to build a harbor and settled another city east of the capital for another harbor. In my replay I didn't bother. I thought about warring Persia, but decided not to bother.

Probably the biggest bit of luck I had this game was the ability to start research agreements so early. I was on my second round of 3 or 4 RAs before turn 100. Near the end oxford, 2 great scientists and 2 RAs got me to globalization within a few turns of each other in my replay. My first shot I messed up the blocks and took an uneeded tech with one of the scientists (I love christo lol). I didn't even think about going rationalism for some reason which would have probably helped me get a faster win. After Patronage I went Freedom then Order with a few more from tradition and liberty. Also I took cultural elite to try it out and it was mostly a waste.

Except for Siam all the world was friendly for awhile. Once I met Greece he was his usual jerk self though since I had allies. Eventually I bribed Mongolia into DoWing him to keep them both busy. Japan turned on me so I turned on him. The rest stayed friendly until near the end they turned guarded except for Mongolia. Oddly in this game Mongolia built a ton of wonders. He took almost all of the mid game wonders to my annoyance. Also not a single city state was conquered. Partly because most were my allies I think and I had the tech lead but also I think it had to do with the leaders randomization this game, especially Mongolia. I've never seen him not at least try to take his nearby city states.

Anyways, it was fun game. Feels good to have a start that comes together so well. Wish I hadn't messed up at the end though.

View attachment Gandhi_0224 AD-1570.Civ5Save
View attachment Gandhi_0208 AD-1480.Civ5Save

My first post here.
I never went to war.
SP: tradition (--> landed elite), Patronage (all SP except one) and order (two SP).
Start with 2 City - NC (second city to the south, near the gold on the river). I Built 4 more cities to sell more luxuries.
RAs worked all the time, since Mongolia and Japon were friendly most of the time and the rest neutral or guarded. Also, I was able to sold all my luxuries and kept happy (and didn´t built any theater).
Not quite sure If rationalism or declaring on Siam could help me, especially when I got enough units coming from Almaty.

My first post here.
Welcome to CivFanatics and GoTM. :wavey:

There is a lot of good advice posted in the various threads that should help you out.

Good luck in future games. :thumbsup:

Wow! That was fun!!! I ended up losing but that was only because I mistakenly thought that once I liberated a CS they were mine for life. I didn't realize they could turn on me again. Especially back to the civ I was warring against and just liberated them from. I STILL don't get why that is but....I guess I'll know better next time.

I submitted my game since I wasn't winning any awards anyway but I had a few restarts after that happened because it basically ended my game so I needed to try a couple different things in order to survive and play on. Either way, it ended up costing me. I figure that cost me about 3-5 turns of screwing around and I ended up 2 turns short of taking Alex completely out so I could buy his CS's for the vote. Because of that, I missed having the 10 I needed for that turn and had to wait for the next vote and I think there were 5 turns left before that happened when Suleiman built the spaceship.

Super fun though!

I can honestly say this was the first Civ V game I've actually been completely immersed in. Mainly because I actually had some competition when warring. I still managed to defeat a far superior army with the few pieces I had but it actually took some serious strategy, planning, and a little bit of luck for a change. Since I was so far behind army-wise, every piece I had was vital so I really needed to think ahead and place each army carefully while still advancing. I got to do my first real amphibious assault against a well-fortified chunk of land. Seriously, it was really fun.

So, I've got a few questions....

1) Why doesn't a CS that I liberate from the Civ I'm warring against immediately declare war on that Civ since I've become their ally when I liberate them? Since they are my ally, they should declare on whomever I'm at war with and it should set that Civ's influence to -60, peace-block them, and stop them from being able to negotiate. It doesn't make sense that 3 turns later they can all of a sudden declare on me out of the blue. Now if a 3rd party outbid me and became their ally and then Greece came in and took it from them, I get that. But I never got any notifications of that happening and it happened with at least 2, maybe 3 of the CS's I liberated from Alex.

2) Am I wrong in thinking that in a scenario like this you'd be a lot better off never meeting Alex? It seems to me I never had to compete with him on any CS's until I actually met him. Then, a few turns later, he was buying up all the CS's. If I would have just stayed in my little land-locked empire as opposed to going out and meeting him and the other CS's, I probably would have been better off. That seems to be the key to the early diplo wins in other peoples' games. Or not?

3) I did zero RA blocking as usual. Seems to me the game wasn't designed with that being a planned on strategy. I could be wrong but it feels a little like cheating to me. I'm pretty sure the AI's aren't blocking their tech trees and must just deal with whatever random I generate for them. Anyway, that aside, is a player able to basically skip whole sections of the tech tree forever? Or do you eventually need to go back and fill in the "blocked" sections? Presumably after you've built up substantial research so you can basically 1 shot most of them?

Anyway, thanks again for the game! When I saw the set-up I was thinking it was going to be a fairly boring affair. Little did I know.... :)

Top Bottom