News: TSG10 Announcement

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Civilization 5 – Game of the Month Training Series Game 10
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////////

Welcome to the tenth game in the GOTM V Training Series! There are plenty of new features in Civilization 5 to explore and the Training Series games will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out these new features in a friendly environment. You are all encouraged to post your questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads described below. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread. Before going into the details of this game, we would like to ask you to abide to our most sacred rule: don’t replay any turns. If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. It’s better to do the bad moves in the Training Series instead of in the actual GOTM competition, once it starts.

In this game, the designated VC is Domination. You may win by any VC you wish, as all VC's are enabled, but the results will be posted with fastest finish by Domination victory and then all other VC listed below by fastest time. Good Luck!

In this game you will play as Wu Zetian and lead the Chinese civilization to victory. It’s a standard sized fractal map played at Emperor difficulty and at standard pace. Domination victory is the designated VC for this game, all victory conditions are enabled.

A note for Mac players. Your version of Civ5 is not yet compatible with the Windows version. Results from the two version would not be comparable given the extensive game play changes. We hope your next, next patch comes out soon. :rolleyes:

Please note that you are only allowed to build Oxford University one time (has this been fixed yet?). :nono:

Civ V - TSG10 game settings
Playable Civ: Wu Zetian - China
Number of AI Opponents: 7
Number of City-States: 16
Map type: Fractal
Map Size: Standard
Difficulty Level: Emperor
Temperature: Temperate
Game pace: Standard
Game options: Quick Combat is disabled (You can enable it by following instructions in this link.) Promotion saving and Raging Barbs are enabled.

Playing as Wu Zetian, you possess Art of War. The effectiveness and spawn rate of Great Generals is increased. You can train Chu-Ko-Nu, which replaces the Crossbowman. The unit is a Medieval ranged infantry unit. It can fire twice in one turn, unlike the Crossbowman which it replaces. You can also build Paper Maker which replaces the Library. It provides +1 Science for every 2 citizens plus +2 Gold per city in which it is built. It requires Writing to build.

Information about threads associated with TSG
TSG Announcement thread (this one). This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please don’t post any information from a game you have started. Instead use the next thread.

Game In Progress thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once it's on the way. There are no reading or posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play.

After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state (preferably in the post title) your victory date and score, as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory! , We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the two week period (sorted by date and score). Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after two weeks, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.

File Upload System
We now have a game file upload system you can find here. Please use it to upload your completed first attempt by saving the game on the turn after your victory or defeat. (by using the "lemme play one more turn" feature)

This game runs for two weeks and ends Monday 18 April 2011.

The Save can be found here.

Thanks for the game Leif. Domination is the only victory condition I have not yet achieved on Emperor level as I'm more of a builder than warmonger so this should be interesting

Looks like a reasonable start position with respect to resource tiles, although I do not like the idea of a coastal city without access to seafood. Plain sea tiles tend to be mostly a waste. Still, three cows, when improved with pastures and stables give a nice early boost to production, so settling 1W, 1NW, with loss of one initial turn, could be a better city site in the long term.

An army supported by Chu-Ko-Nu is quite powerful against cities providing you can get the CKN on-line quickly enough. A beeline to Machinery is definitely called for.

Agree about CKNs. Capital get often 2 different luxuries, but we can see 3 spices right of the bat. What about the tile SE of the hill, near the shore? Maybe a luxury ressource.

Edit : I think i will settle in place. Nice coastal city for further intercontinental invasions.

very nice 3 cow start. That will be solid for a capital position.

Given there's only one lux (3 copies) by the capital, there will definitely be strat. resources nearby. Hopefully horses to go with the cows :)

And yeah... a CKN army supported by random melee units to finish the job.

Sweet! I just finished a huge 22 player / 28 city-state marathon deity campaign as China. It took forever and my computer hated what all that AI processing did to it in the late game. This should be much less stressful! :)

UPDATE: Why it no download? :(
The forums are really slow this evening for some people, including me. The file will download, just have to be patient. In fact, you may have to use your "reload current page" button a few times.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Sure was! Things seem to be back to normal this morning, I hope. :)

edit - the Civ5 submission page appears to be having difficulty, posting to have it checked.

edit2 - the upload system appears to be functioning normally for me.

I think you should mention in the OP that this game has raging barbarians turned on, and no goodie huts.

I've never seen such a plague of barbs, and I play immortal. UGHH! Forget it, too big a pain in the *** and I'm not that big a masochist. I'm fifty turns in and still can't knock out more than one barb camp.

From the OP. Please see the last line - Game options. :)

Civ V - TSG10 game settings
Playable Civ: Wu Zetian - China
Number of AI Opponents: 7
Number of City-States: 16
Map type: Fractal
Map Size: Standard
Difficulty Level: Emperor
Temperature: Temperate
Game pace: Standard
Game options: Quick Combat is disabled (You can enable it by following instructions in this link.) Promotion saving and Raging Barbs are enabled.

edit - btw, I did not turn off goodie huts, they just weren't placed near the start in this game.

Since TSG11 will be waiting on a patch, is there any chance submissions could be accepted after April 18? I will try to finish tomorrow, but if not... it could be a couple days. The "mother of all battles" awaits... don't know how long she'll be. ;)

What's the consensus about extending the closing date while we wait for the patch (or not)?
I've just got back from vacation and haven't started yet. If you want to keep the 18th as the closing date and press on with TSG 11 pre-patch then that's cool but it would be good to know whether I have just 24 hours to complete the current game. :crazyeye:

What's the consensus about extending the closing date while we wait for the patch (or not)?
The closing date has been extended for an additional week. :)

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. :blush:

I'm glad to hear it. I'm a playoff hockey zealot and there was no way I was going to plow through the last 4 civs during the Buffalo game tonight. :thanx:

I'm glad to hear it. I'm a playoff hockey zealot and there was no way I was going to plow through the last 4 civs during the Buffalo game tonight. :thanx:

You mean I could have been watching hockey :drool: instead of losing :cringe: this game???? :lol:

Top Bottom