TSG10 - Game in Progress

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to the TSG10 Game in Progress thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing. There are no reading or posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

Once you've completed the game, head over to the TSG10 After Action Report thread.

I just besieged delhi for about 30 turns until it fell into my hands...
This wont be the fastest game possible..

Anyway, i completely conquered siam and india and i have taken the russian capital and a few cities before making peace.

Two other unknown civilizations had their capital conquered as well.

Right now i only have contact to mongolia and greece, and i have no idea where alexander is, so mongolia it is next. Im a bit worried about alexander though, they are a bit ahead in tech i think, and if he goes for diplo early Im screwed.

You think it would be wise to take out the city-states on my continent?

How many votes does someone need to win if no city-states are around?

What victory condition are trying to achieve? Not sure I understand what votes you need?

This game's designated victory condition is domination. :)

I dont want to win with diplo.. i want to prevent someone else winning with it.

One of the first training games here i lost in an un-vote, and it was a game i could have basically won if i had had more time. Im always wary of people befriending too many city states now.

NOOOOO!!!

I just went into anarchy by mistake.. in the middle of war.. aaaarghhh

aye.. im screwed now.. no need to play further here... *sigh*

I dont want to win with diplo.. i want to prevent someone else winning with it.

One of the first training games here i lost in an un-vote, and it was a game i could have basically won if i had had more time. Im always wary of people befriending too many city states now.

If you go to the victories screen, then click on the "details" tab, you can see how many votes are needed for diplomatic vitory, and how many votes each civ has. If you are trying to block someone else from winning a UN victory, by killing city states rather than out-bidding for their allegience, then you just do the math. If there are 10 votes needed for victory, a civ needs 9 CS votes to win. If there are 16 CS's in the game, you'd need to kill 8 of them. Of course, in practise you'd only need to kill CS's that are allied with your enemy untill he has eight or fewer and not enough cash to buy more.

I did SIP and built the National College before founding my second city. This meant that Siam took all the good spots. I founded my second city way up north at the Iron/gold site. I managed a thrid city west of our nearest CS to get ivory. Meanwhile I beelined machinery for Cho-Ko-Nu's. (A couple quick detours for worker techs). With the iron, I upgraded 3 warriors to swords at the same time I built my first Cho-ko. That plus the GG from Honor tree, was enough to puppet all of Siam excpet the last two I razed and the one I left him in the west just to avoid some negative diplo.

I built the Glib for currency. Unless I put my capitol in Gold Focus, though, I lose gpt... which is very unusual situation for me. So CS's have only been befireinded from killing barbs and finding Russian territory, and have been very temporary friends.

Also, due to the cash situation (capture gold is all that keeps me going), I have turned down RA requests. Decl Friends with Russia. Finally found India. Denounced Mongols because they will fight me no matter what anyhow, and Russia had denounced them.

Things going OK... but I doubt I'll finish in the top half on speed. Anyhow... working towards astronomy now to try and find the civs. Too slow walking across a continent! But I will probably take down India once Russia decides she wants me to. Not really planning much, because I haven't found my targets yet. Just trying to stay ahead in tech. But at this point, a couple cho-kos and some swords is still devestatingly effective. Started trading post spam and took two policies in the Commerce tree to try and help the economy.

Fun game so far!

I can't help it, I have to start over. I just lost all of my first three warriors.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't help it, I have to start over. I just lost all of my first three warriors.
See if you can overcome it first. :hammer:

Second efforts should not be posted to results. Sorry. :)

A general Question:

I do quite often have a glitch, where already dead enemy units are shown still standing, or alive enemy units are in a completely different space than shown (So they're somewhere else out there, invisible).

Anyone else experiencing this?

A general Question:

I do quite often have a glitch, where already dead enemy units are shown still standing, or alive enemy units are in a completely different space than shown (So they're somewhere else out there, invisible).

Yes. Many times. And some graphics stuck in the air when i scroll around the world.

SIP built 2 warriors and marched north taking out a barb camp and rescuing one of belgrades workers which i kept.

placed second city to the north next to marble which pissed off siam so he wouldnt allow open boarders. raced to LSM then plowed thru siam puppet 4 cities.

9LSM and 2GG marched east and DOW russia and pretty easy puppet 3 of his cities plus moscow.

Khan denounces then DOWs me and he is a BEAST!. make peace with moscow and move my troops toward monoco. ally with monoco and begin an epic battle with khan just to the south of monoco but it is slow moving to either side of old faithful and $%^& i have not researched embark! backed troops up to friendly territory, research embark (2 turns), annex a russian costal city to get a boat in the water and pick off a few of khans embarked troops. 35 turns of war with khan and i have puppeted 2 cities and liberated kuala and the wine from them is helpful as i need a drink by this point.

tired of fighting khan as he has allied all of the cs near my capital.. i accept peace when he wants $542 gold and silver, cotton, and ivory... i have 2-3 of each so i accept figuring i will regroup and DOW him in 15-20 turns.... but WTF... i now have 0 silver, 0 cotton and 0 ivory!!! this must be a bug because i verified i had multiple of each before i accepted the deal.

this pisses me off to the point i want to trample him now.. 2 turns to rifles.. 8 turns till peace expires.. cant cross the ocean yet but i am sure alex is out there with a large empire just waiting for a fight...

Khan denounces then DOWs me and he is a BEAST!

This is what i fear the most. Playing the game and see an AI growing very large...and a warmonger one.

A general Question:

Yes, ghost units appear in every game I play... has to do with sending them into/out of a city when another unit is there, if my observations are valid. Also occurs when you cash purchase a unit on the same turn a city will complete another unit, or move a unit into that city when it will produce. Scary... but not an impact on the game that I can see.

I just besieged delhi for about 30 turns until it fell into my hands...
This wont be the fastest game possible..

I could not conquer it also on my first try. Made peace and attacked Russia instead and once that finished and additional forces reached the frontlines - India fell quickly.

Yes, ghost units appear in every game I play... has to do with sending them into/out of a city when another unit is there, if my observations are valid. Also occurs when you cash purchase a unit on the same turn a city will complete another unit, or move a unit into that city when it will produce. Scary... but not an impact on the game that I can see.

I have noticed these gliches as well for the last couple of games I've played. I also have noticed some research agreements finishing early, and others never finishing.

Going well so far. Played until 1000 AD and 3 capitals are conquered. I accumulated enough units to split in 3 stacks for other civs. 3 stacks of 4 CKNs and 3-4 melee or horse units with them for a total of approx 22 units. I will try to kill them all at the same time. All or nothing here..i hope it will going well. I spotted them all...

Well... I've gotten into the Modern age now. Greece has allied as many as 14 CS's, and has taken over all of Persia. Meanwhile, I have the capitols of Siam, India, Mongolia, and Russia. Japan, who was friendly whole game until recently, has finally denounced me. So I planned to finish him off before going on to Greece. But something came up.... first, I am worried that Greece will build the UN before I kill him, unless I do something now. Second, I traded 3 (surplus) lux resources for his surplus gems... and lost the resources.

Here is what happened: I put gems in Alex's side of the box and ask "What do you want for this?", and he indicates the three lux's. I clear the table to check that the trhee he wants are indeed surpluses, which they are, so I table his gems, and then manually table my 3 lux resources. Alex will NOT accept the deal. So I clear table, put his gems on and ask him what he wants for it... he wants the same 3 surplus lux's. I accept the deal, and find that I now have ZERO of those resources. So apparently, he was asking for ALL of my resources of those types, not just the surplus ones. Or else its a big bad bug in the game (wouldn't be the first time). Anyhow, I hope that information is useful to anyone else in the same situation.

So, to get back my unhappiness to a manageable level, I had no choice but to immediately Declare War on Alex. "You cheated us in a trade deal!" is my excuse.

Of course, that means I'm at war with 14 CS's as well. Presently, I've got him down to 12 CS's (I've captured 4 CS's but he just buys more...:mad: ). needless to say the world hates me, but I'm used to that... every CivV game ends in that state for me.

I made a stab at Knossos... had it one turn from capture when his reinforcements show. But this is just a feint... my true invasion force is headed for Athens, which is remarkably vulnerable near the coast. I land 2 inf and 2 artillery and a GG. But he has one Mech inf there and rush-buys another. So I doubt I succeed here, either... will probably retreat and wait for more units.

I am bracing myself for a UN defeat in this game. I'm going to play it out and see if inferior numbers and inferior technology can anyhow defeat the inferior tactical ability of the combat AI. May be possible, since the number of units I've lost so far in this game is like 1 for every 20 I've killed. But its taking lots of time. (I'm around 1700AD, I think, so no need for the good players to worry :lol: ).

Anyhow, maybe I'll get to see a nuke used... Alex has completed Manhatten Project. ;)

Top Bottom