Mod cannot be updated

Thalassicus

Bytes and Nibblers
ModBuddy limits version numbers to integers in the range (1, 100). This is a problem for two reasons:

• Cannot have subversions, the industry standard for version numbering. CiV is version 1.0.1.221. If it follows normal standards that means there have been 221 builds.
  • After a mod has 100 builds, what do we do?
I'm currently at build 70, with about 3 builds per week. My old Balin's Tomb map for Warcraft 3 had thousands of builds in the eight years I worked on it. With ModBuddy's restrictions on the version numbering system, in 2 months I'll be stuck. :(

What's needed is to allow decimal points in the version number, and remove the limit on version numbers. Even in old computer systems integers can reach 32,767, so the cap at 100 is very bizzare.

Apparently, the 100 limit is just in ModBuddy, not the service - that does have the right limit for a signed short (32,767)... here's hoping a patch is quick, eh?

I'd also hope for multi-part version numbers, but there you go...

I'm wondering if there's a communication problem between 2K (who Tech Ian works for, IIRC) and Firaxis, as things have been acted on quickly once Sseckman's been made aware, IME. Of course, I can't tell for sure that he didn't know about the problems before the time I know he was aware, but... this one is definitely Firaxis's to fix, which makes a fix more likely, I reckon.

Thal, we've fixed this one, and expect to update the SDK for testing this weekend. If all goes well, we should have this out to you guys next week.

Top Bottom