RFC Mesoamerica and Andes

hangman

almost-scientist
Announcing...

RFC Mesoamerica and Andes

I'm mostly done gathering art, but a few things need touching up, and new suggestions are always welcome. I'm in the process of converting embryodead's Sword of Islam for the purposes of the mod.

Tentative timeline: Beginning of Caral-Supe (~3500BC) to about 1750. Note that the game speed does not have to be constant the entire game ;)

Tentative list of civs:
Spoiler :
Aztec region:
  • Teotihuacan
  • Toltec
  • Aztec
  • Tlaxcala
  • Irechecua Tzintzuntzani
  • Zapotec
Andean region:
  • Inca
  • Nazca
  • Chimor
  • Muisca
  • Wari
  • Tiwanaku
  • Moche
  • Chawin
  • Caral-Supe
Caribbean region:
  • Arawak
  • Yanomami
  • Xingu
  • Taino
  • Carib
Maya region
  • Olmec
  • Baak'
  • Xukpi
  • Tikal
  • Calakmul
  • Chichen Itza
Polynesian region:
  • Rapa Nui
European region:
  • Spain
  • Britain
  • French
  • Pirates
Civs to add later:
  • Teuchitlan
  • Mixtec
  • Hivans
  • Tahitians
  • Chachapoyas
  • Diaguitas
  • Quimbaya
  • Guarani
  • Pipil
  • K'iche

Anyone willing to help should check out this thread :)

EDIT: Unfortunately, I had to gradually abandon this project a while back. I wouldn't say it was a total loss though, I've released some of the resources as modcomps, and I have collaborated with FramedArchitect to develop the spiritual successor to this project, Rise and Fall of Andean Civilization, which is essentially complete as of the time of this edit. Anyone interested in picking up this project can PM me for the SVN link, although there's only a few differences between that and the project as it's posted here.

Attachments

• Minimap.jpg
    Minimap.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 1,596
  • native areas.jpg
    native areas.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 1,611
  • valley of mexico.JPG
    valley of mexico.JPG
    247.4 KB · Views: 1,619
  • central peru.JPG
    central peru.JPG
    166.1 KB · Views: 1,428
currently working on:

Spoiler :

-tech tree

art needed:

Spoiler :

new units:
-mesoamerican/andean great scientist
-mesoamerican/andean great spy

new resources:
-manioc/cassava
-beans
-tomato
-ayahuasca

new buildings:
-suka kollus (Andean)

I don't have time to mod but i will try to help as much as possible :)

what about Portugal and France?

The region that the map covers doesn't include many areas that were conquered by the French or Portuguese, so I don't think it wouldn't be worth it. Besides, I plan to make the Spanish strong enough to wreak havoc accross the map. :)

I don't have time to mod but i will try to help as much as possible :)

Cool, thanks! I'll start posting the things I'll probably need.

Spices are actually chilis, also could you post a map?

Huh, I always thought they were supposed to be herbs or something...

I installed the terrains from SoI, but I haven't got the world builder set up quite yet. I'm working on an excel map also, so I'll probably post that first.

Here's the google map I'm working with. It will translate to 98x112.

Attachments

• map2.jpg
    map2.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 1,018
Huh, I always thought they were supposed to be herbs or something...

I installed the terrains from SoI, but I haven't got the world builder set up quite yet. I'm working on an excel map also, so I'll probably post that first.

Here's the google map I'm working with. It will translate to 98x112.

zoom in really close and you'll see they appear to be peppers

What's the Timeline?
IMO it'll be quite hard to do as there's a lot of civs spawning in the Yucatan peninsula and around Mexico and they basicly spawn to conquer around the same place..

Btw, how about adding Norte Chico Civilization?
It's pretty ancient and I believe that's the city that Tucume represent in RFC :)

What's the Timeline?

From the beginning of the Caral-Supe civ up to around Tupac's rebellion, tentatively. I may include the Mexican and Bolivarian revolutions at a later time.

IMO it'll be quite hard to do as there's a lot of civs spawning in the Yucatan peninsula and around Mexico and they basicly spawn to conquer around the same place..

My idea for the Mayans was to have several compact, classic Maya polities to represent the intense competition between the city states. There will be a barbarian wave to correspond to the collapse, and then Chichen Itza will spawn. I'll probably end up putting a lot of resources there to make it more practical.

Btw, how about adding Norte Chico Civilization?
It's pretty ancient and I believe that's the city that Tucume represent in RFC :)

That's just an alternate name for Caral-Supe, so it's included ;)

Nice.
What i don't get is why you just use parts of Latin America instead of the whole continent. You could use civs everyone knows, which makes coming up with fun UHVs and UPs a lot easier, and you could use all Civ 4: Colonization for the art.
But don't get me wrong: You have my full support. If you want me to help brainstorming i'm ready;)

Any plans to include Oasisamerican or Mississippian Cultures?

Nice.
What i don't get is why you just use parts of Latin America instead of the whole continent.

The reason for the current map boundaries is that that's where most of the interesting stuff happened. I thought about expanding it northward to include the Seminoles, Chaco Canyon, and Chumash, but I felt like it was getting to be a bit much. If I expanded South America, the only other legitimate possibilities are the Tupi and Mapuche, and I don't think it's worth making the map any bigger than it already is due to computing time.

You could use civs everyone knows, which makes coming up with fun UHVs and UPs a lot easier, and you could use all Civ 4: Colonization for the art.

Unfortunately, I already pulled the useful bits in Colonization from CIV Gold.

But don't get me wrong: You have my full support. If you want me to help brainstorming i'm ready;)

Cool! I haven't given much thought to UPs yet. If you have any unique ideas, feel free to post them.

The reason for the current map boundaries is that that's where most of the interesting stuff happened. I thought about expanding it northward to include the Seminoles, Chaco Canyon, and Chumash, but I felt like it was getting to be a bit much. If I expanded South America, the only other legitimate possibilities are the Tupi and Mapuche, and I don't think it's worth making the map any bigger than it already is due to computing time.

Because there wasn't much interaction between Mesoamerica and South America, you could concievably split it into two maps if you are worred about computing issues.

Personally, I would prefer there are two or three different stand alone mod..
1. RFC of Mesoamerican & Caribbean region
2. RFC of Northern America
3. RFC of Southern America
Just for better gameplay and so we can focus on each RFCs aspect on them :)
But it is just a suggestion lol no offense :)

Because, still in my opinion, based on the map picture..
Mesoamerican still too small compared to the South american which will make Mesoamerican too crowded at certain times but the South American being really sparse.. at least until the arrival of European...

But whatever it is, you got my support !
Tell me if you need help in brainstorming or getting facts :)

Because there wasn't much interaction between Mesoamerica and South America, you could concievably split it into two maps if you are worred about computing issues.
The problems with civ's meeting that shouldn't come with the territory. it happens loads in normal rfc (i.e. greeks meeting the chinese) so i don't think this should be a big worry (although you might be able to do something to stop AI from exspolring)

I don't think contact between China and Greece before the Renaissance is beneficial in normal RFC. At least the Chinese had a longstanding trade relationship with Europe, but there is nothing of that sort that existed between the Andes and Mesoamerica. I don't think it's worth sacrificing the northern 2/3 of North America in order to squeeze the Andes and Mesoamerica onto one map.

Cool! I haven't given much thought to UPs yet. If you have any unique ideas, feel free to post them.

It seems to me that many other things needs to be included first, like wonders, techs, unit types etc. to have a alpha version. UPs comes afterwards.
But...
If you look for UPs you can get some "inspiration" from the History Of The Three Kingdoms mod. There is a similar system with some really nice ideas, like one fraction can vassalize to another civ if played by humans and brake free anytime they want, even if they capitulated. That f.e. could be used for Tlaxcala.
It's just nice to know if an idea is easily codeable, and even better when there already is such a code;)

EDIT: stupid adverbs

Top Bottom