IGN: CivWorld "will redefine social gaming."

Moss

CFC Scribe
Retired Moderator
IGN has posted a review of the upcoming Civilization Facebook game, CivWorld. The previewer raves:
I've covered the Facebook game space since its inception, and CivWorld blows away anything I've seen on the platform. Perhaps that's because it's being developed by Sid Meier himself. 2K says it's his baby, and you can tell. He's created a new experience that still feels like classic Civilization, with all of the strategy and depth that comes with it.
The preview also describes some elements of the gameplay:
You directly control one city, where you can you can assign your population to different jobs such as farmers, workers, scientists, etc. By doing these jobs you earn points in the appropriate categories - food, production, science, culture, etc. Achieving a certain number of points in each of these areas will enable you to complete research, earn great people, grow your population, build up an army, or upgrade your city. This is standard Civilization gameplay, but there are also some elements thrown in to change things up.
You can read the full preview here.

"If you know how Facebook games work, you're probably thinking about how premium currency fits into the equation and if it's possible to "buy" your way to victory. 2K says the developers are still tweaking and balancing, but the current plan is to limit what you can spend premium currency on, and how much you can spend a day. Their goal is to have the same fun and fair experience for the player that plays for free as the ones who pay. "

That sounds realy bad. For me, thats a deal-breaker. I hate it if players can buy advantages. Either they limit those to things like statistics and graphics or im out. Would be the very first civ I dont play at all.

"If you know how Facebook games work, you're probably thinking about how premium currency fits into the equation and if it's possible to "buy" your way to victory. 2K says the developers are still tweaking and balancing, but the current plan is to limit what you can spend premium currency on, and how much you can spend a day. Their goal is to have the same fun and fair experience for the player that plays for free as the ones who pay. "

That sounds realy bad. For me, thats a deal-breaker. I hate it if players can buy advantages. Either they limit those to things like statistics and graphics or im out. Would be the very first civ I dont play at all.

agree. its expected from zynga but not from 2k. Who the hell would buy 'civ cash' when you could spend the same money on civ v dlc.

this disaster in waiting will flop. defiantly.

this disaster in waiting will flop. defiantly.
You don't understand. The game is going to be absolutely terrible, but it's also going to be wildly successful. That's how Facebook works. This is going to make 2K a ridiculous amount of money, and that's what you should be upset about.

I say this game going to be terrible from the start, Facebook apps are always boring and repetitive... the sad part about it is that Sid Meier's don't know that until it's finished.

with all of the strategy and depth that comes with it

All of the strategy?? I seriously doubt that or perhaps the raver has never played a Civ game? So sad that Sid chose to spend his time on this.

Seriously? You guys are getting a free-to-play Civ game and all you can do is whinge?

The model for facebook games is free-to-play but there must be an income stream somehow. I'm sorry, but that is how the world works...

I look forwards to it! It seems unlikely that this will be my favorite game for years and years (like Civ3 and Civ4), but I'm definitely going to give it a good tryout before coming to a conclusion (like Civ5!).

Seriously? You guys are getting a free-to-play Civ game and all you can do is whinge?

I would rather pay to get Sid Meier involved with the real game of the franchise (that definitly needs him back), instead of this pathetic excuse of a "game" that looks more like a really bad joke.

At the moment, I don't think this game is looking much like a Civ game at all.

One city? Research goals (de facto) decided by whatever alliance you're in? Micro-transactions? Bloody mini-games, for crying out loud?

I'd rather play "Call of Duty: Civilizations" than what it currently sounds like this game is.

The model for facebook games is free-to-play but there must be an income stream somehow. I'm sorry, but that is how the world works...

You missed my point. Maybe your comment was directed at others, but I feel to repeat and explain what I said:
"That sounds realy bad. For me, thats a deal-breaker. I hate it if players can buy advantages. Either they limit those to things like statistics and graphics or im out. Would be the very first civ I dont play at all. "

I understand that they need to make cash with it. But I see many ways to do that besides giving ingame advantages. Like for instance making a free and a premium version, where the premium version would cost something and give better graphics and statistics and such. Plus it would discourage idlers and kiddys from joining and therefor offer a better environment.

All I say is, if reallife cash can strenghten your civ directly I wont play this. Just imagine what would happen: Pro-Clans dominate free clans and such. No thanks.

Sounds like playing chess with an option to buy an extra queen... that wouldn't be called "chess" anymore.

Let's give an option to buy a really-good-looking interface, modular components to play with, additional skins, hd-movies for the wonders with documentary films, let's have optional scenarios to play or whatever; but they shouldn't AT ALL harm the gameplay mechanic with money.

:rotfl: these guys should consider linking it with ebay ... you only have 2:30 minutes left to buy the Pyramids for 50 $ ...uhm 55 by now ... or your opponent will win the game :lol:

But honestly: The advantage of turn-based-strategy (even more in single player mode) is that I can play at the pace I want!

Well, milk them like the sheep that facebook-users are :deadhorse: but plz spend the money to develop a "real" Civ 6 (One Unit per Tile & Hexa & Civ IV diversity & & & )

:rotfl: these guys should consider linking it with ebay ... you only have 2:30 minutes left to buy the Pyramids for 50 $ ...uhm 55 by now ... or your opponent will win the game :lol:

But honestly: The advantage of turn-based-strategy (even more in single player mode) is that I can play at the pace I want!

Well, milk them like the sheep that facebook-users are :deadhorse: but plz spend the money to develop a "real" Civ 6 (One Unit per Tile & Hexa & Civ IV diversity & & & )

Yep. Zynga games have 'buy super over powered item now for real money! 2 days left!

In effect, you buy 'virtual goods' for real money. In Cafe World for example. Oh look, I've spent $5 on a pretty pink chair. So what have I bought? A chair? no. You haven't bought anything. You spent $5 so a tiny 2d graphic can be displayed on your file.

Therefore, i think this kind of purchase is in any game, is completely disgusting, and should be made internationally illegal.

It's a different than the Civ we play. It might get some people interested in playing the real Civ. But the idea of a game where you can buy a winning score seems unsportsman like. OTOH, it's no skin of my nose if someone else wants to be a sucker.

It would have to be one hell of a game to distract me from my real passion: tending my pear trees in farmville.

I really hate to be a hater, but this sounds hella lame. :deadhorse:

All of the strategy?? I seriously doubt that or perhaps the raver has never played a Civ game? So sad that Sid chose to spend his time on this.

What do you mean? Facebook civ is directly up Sid's alley. These are the type of games Sid likes to make-- if anything, he should have LESS influence on the Civ series. When he gets control, things like Civ-Rev and Civ-facebook come out -- those are his two little projects.

I don't understand why Sid has any sort of good reputation -- the best civs are the ones that he had absolutely no creative or design control over, apart from tacking his name on the box's cover.

This stupid sheep will check it out. If I don't like, I'll move on. No need for anyone to get worked up over a social-networking site and a game they haven't even played yet.

let's be honest, this game could be the best game ever created and you guys wouldn't like it because it is on facebook and is therefore casual (and we all know that it is impossible to have a good casual game cos only mums play that sort of thing and we are way to hardcore for it right!) . At least give it a try before calling it a "bad joke".

Top Bottom