Overlays with names of locations

RickFGS

Deity
This is probably a basic know how for moders but i haven´t found a way to do it. I would like to name specific locations on my map, creating an overlay with the name of rivers, zones of land such as deserts, mountain ranges and such.

How is this possible and what´s the easiest, simple way to do it.

Many thanks Pounder, now if i could only increase the number of resources....i think i´ll just increase the pcx size file of pinky area...

You can have a very large number of bonus resources, the problem is the strategic and luxury resources. That is were you have that nasty limit of 32 total, although Pounder has run some interesting tests to try and get around it.

This is probably a basic know how for moders but i haven´t found a way to do it. I would like to name specific locations on my map, creating an overlay with the name of rivers, zones of land such as deserts, mountain ranges and such.

How is this possible and what´s the easiest, simple way to do it.
Use dummy resources that are made of text, you may have to string a few together for large names.
TAM does this if you want to see a practical example.

Many thanks Pounder, now if i could only increase the number of resources....i think i´ll just increase the pcx size file of pinky area...

As far as I'm aware the city pcx file is the only one you can increase the size of, every other pcx file has to be the eact right size for it to work in game.

As far as I'm aware the city pcx file is the only one you can increase the size of, every other pcx file has to be the eact right size for it to work in game.

That is true for the content of such a pink "box", but not for the magenta files that contain the "boxes". You can add hundreds of bonus resources to the resource file and they are working without problems. The biggest existing resource file I´m aware of is the resource file of Casus Belli (I hope I remember the name of that modder correctly). I use alone 512 bonus resources for the city names of the upcoming CCM world map. So it is no problem to combine the letters in different resource files in a way, that is working for the intended purpose. flame´s scenario Aventurien is another Civ 3 scenario that uses this methode very well.

Here is a screenshot of flame´s Aventurien scenario. He uses different letters and letter sizes for the name of the sea (Meer der sieben Winde = sea of the seven winds), the Golf of Pren and the name of the province Nostria (on a wooden shield).

Spoiler :

Superb, exactly what i want, i guess i´ll just download someones big resource file and edit it to my needs instead of compiling one item at a time. Ty all for your sugestions.

I guess i will also place a name tag over the 7 golden cities i have on my scenario then. Sweet!

Ah, I missunderstood which pink bit was being refered to. Those letters look great in that screenshot. Is that a German fantasy scenario?

Yes, Aventurien is a German fantasy scenario and in my eyes it is one of the best fantasy scenarios ever done for Civ 3 (what is no wonder as flame is one of the best German modders of Civ 3, giving me a lot of strong input to my mod CCM :)).

The mod can be run with the US version of C3C or Civ Complete, so the language used in that mod is German. You can download the mod here:

http://www.civforum.de/showthread.php?t=22900

----------------------

RickFGS, you could look look here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=59068

Top Bottom