News: TSG14 Announcement

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Civilization 5 – Game of the Month Training Series Game 14
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////////

Welcome to the fourteenth game in the GOTM V Training Series! There are plenty of new features in Civilization 5 to explore and the Training Series games will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out these new features in a friendly environment. You are all encouraged to post your questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads described below. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread. Before going into the details of this game, we would like to ask you to abide to our most sacred rule: don’t replay any turns. If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. It’s better to do the bad moves in the Training Series instead of in the actual GOTM competition, once it starts.

In this game, the designated VC is Domination. You may win by any VC you wish, as all VC's are enabled, but the results will be posted with fastest finish by Domination victory and then all other VC listed below by fastest time. Good Luck!

In this game you will play as Oda Nobunaga and lead the Japanese civilization to victory. It’s a standard sized fractal map played at King difficulty and at standard pace. Domination victory is the designated VC for this game, all victory conditions are enabled.

Please note that this is a One City Challenge Game, you may not build Settlers and may only "own" one city. Also, I uploaded a saved map and, while I allowed ruins in the options, in testing I did not find any ruins. Please consider this game to be without ancient ruins. :)

We welcome Mac players to join us in this training series game. :thumbsup:

Please note that you are only allowed to build Oxford University one time. :nono:

Civ V - TSG14 game settings
Playable Civ: Oda Nobunaga - Japan
Number of AI Opponents: 7
Number of City-States: 18
Map type: Fractal
Map Size: Standard
Difficulty Level: King
Temperature: Temperate
Game pace: Standard
Game options: OCC and Promotion saving are enabled. Quick Combat is disabled (You can enable it by following instructions in this link.) Policy saving is disabled.

In this One City Challenge game, you will be playing as Oda Nobunaga, you possess Bushido. Your units fight as though they were at full strength even when damaged.
You can train Samurai, which replaces the Longswordsman. The unit fights more effectively and helps produce Great Generals (receives Shock1 and Great Generals 2 when built) more quickly than the Longswordsman it replaces. It requires the technology of Steel and the resource of Iron to produce.
You can also train Zero, which replaces the fighter. The Zero is a moderately-powerful air unit that receives a bonus versus fighters. It starts with Interception (100), Bonus vs. Fighters, Air Sweep, Air Recon, Bonus vs. Helicopters and Weak ranged attack. It requires the technology of Flight and the resource of Oil to build it.

Information about threads associated with TSG
TSG Announcement thread (this one). This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please don’t post any information from a game you have started. Instead use the next thread.

Game In Progress thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once it's on the way. There are no reading or posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play.

After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state (preferably in the post title) your victory date and score, as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory! , We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the two week period (sorted by date and score). Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after two weeks, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.

File Upload System
We now have a game file upload system you can find here. Please use it to upload your completed first attempt by saving the game on the turn after your victory or defeat. (by using the "lemme play one more turn" feature)

This game runs for two weeks and ends Monday, 27 June 2011.

The Save can be found here.

Please read the announcement above carefully and completely. This game is set up as a One City Challenge, at King difficulty and, with an altered map, no ancient ruins. :mischief:

Please note that this is a One City Challenge Game, you may not build Settlers and may only "own" one city.

Does this mean that you must Raze all enemy cities? Or that you are not allowed to attack enemy cities other than capitals?

Also, I don't think you can raze capitals so how can you win a Domination game if you only "own" your starting city?

Or does "owning" mean that you are allowed to puppet cities, but never annex them?

Is there any other option than settling in place? The hill would be nice, but makes it non-coastal

OCC beats capitals. You will raze anything.
Ah ok. Don't think I ever played a game with the "OCC" setting although I have played one-city games. I didn't realize that when it was enabled, it auto-razes everything. Good to know. Thanks

Oh, decisions decisions! Do we waste a turn and move 1NE for the extra silver and the extra early production, but sacrificing naval output? Since it's a Dom game we don't have to worry about long-term development, so I don't care about losing the fish. There's marsh everywhere, so early development will be an issue. Knowing Leif, we might even be alone on an island, so the coastal start might be required!

Guess I'll move my warrior to the hill first and see if it's worth doing. Unless there's something spectacular, I'll just settle in place.

I was wondering if you were ever going to mix it up with some out-of-the-ordinary game settings, like say an OCC...

As far as settling...as useful as it would be to go inland and maximize the chances of getting iron early, you might want ships eventually. So I think I will settle in place as it's on the coast and doesn't have as many marshes as E.

Haha this will be a challenge for me. I'm not too much of a conquest player and doing it with just one city will be tough; something I haven't done. I'll probably set up a practice game with these conditions first. Settling in place seems the best plan because that fish will be essential but I'm thinking maybe start by taking the warrior SW a tile to see what's over there first, maybe I'll luckbox another resource.

I'm assuming there is iron in this city or else we wouldn't have the challenge on this map. Unless you guys are totally evil and are going to make us buy it from a city-state :mad: Though I guess buying militaristic city-states wouldn't be a bad draw here.

I guess buying militaristic city-states wouldn't be a bad draw here.

This. And those among the warpath to save turns.

I never played an OCC game for civ5 but i have an idea where i'm going with all this stuff. I have read a lot of OCC threads and it should help me to get something decent from this game.

Edit : I will also play with no restriction(i will give me a chance to learn and win an OCC game!)

Hm.. One City.. never did that before. But don't feel like playing a test game before that, so on we go!

Just to clarify for folks that have never played an OCC. As soon as you conquer a city, it is *immediately* destroyed. The city vanishes from the map, and the cultural borders associated with that city are gone. It is *not* like when you choose to Raze a city in a normal game and it takes some turns to burn down completely

cool. Never played an OCC before, in any civ actually. Will be interesting...i wonder if i'll lose again like soem 2-3 gotm's ago. :))

Okay, I played last GOTM's & HOF'S without RA's, but when even Tabarnak is playing "w/o restriction", I'll do the same.

A pitty, as playing w/o RA's was so relaxed, not having to count, block etc......

Nevertheless, I will settle in place and go hunting..

Still playing without RA's, but took the liberty to take lump sums of gold and ignore treaties when i started my warcampaign.

Okay, I played last GOTM's & HOF'S without RA's, but when even Tabarnak is playing "w/o restriction", I'll do the same.

A pitty, as playing w/o RA's was so relaxed, not having to count, block etc......
I find RAs (with tech blocking) to be much more abusive in a Diplomacy or Science game. In a Domination game, they really don't help nearly as much.

Just to clarify for folks that have never played an OCC. As soon as you conquer a city, it is *immediately* destroyed. The city vanishes from the map, and the cultural borders associated with that city are gone. It is *not* like when you choose to Raze a city in a normal game and it takes some turns to burn down completely
So I can only upgrade units next to my capital? :crazyeye:

So I can only upgrade units next to my capital?
Correct. I wasn't sure if I should post that explicitly since I was not sure if it would considered a spoiler.

Let's just say I was a little surprised when I took my first city and it vanished from the face of the planet...

So I can only upgrade units next to my capital? :crazyeye:

Yeah. You used to be able to upgrade units in any friendly territory, even other AI's with whom you had Open Borders. But then DaveMcW abused the hell out of it in GotM 7, and he *single-handedly* caused Firaxis to patch it out. ;)

Top Bottom