European Wars: French Armies from High Medieval to Late 19th C

imperator1961

Last of the Mohicans
From left to right;
French High Medieval: Archer, Crossbowman, Horse Archer, Horseman, Knight, Spearman, Swordsman;

Late Medieval: Archer, Crossbowman, Horse Crossbowman, Horseman, Knight, Spearman, Sworsman:

16/17th C:
Arquebusier, Caliverman, Front Rank Swordsman, Spearman, Reiter
Musketeer, Musquetaire du Roi, Spearman, Dragoon.

Early 18th C: Fusilier, Grenadier, Cuirassier, Dragoon.

Mid 18th C: Fusilier, Gremadier, Early Hussar, Cuirassier, Dragoon.

Late 18th C: Fusilier, Grenadier, Light Infantry, Hussar, Cuirassier, Dragoon.

1820: Infantry, Grenadier, Light Infantry (CHasseur à Pied), Artillery, Hussar, Cuirassier, Dragoon.

Mid 19th C: Infantry, Grenadier, Chasseur à Pied, Artillery, Chasseur à Cheval, Cuirassier, Dragoon, Zouave.

Late 19th C: Infantry, Grenadier Gardes, Chasseur à Pied, Artillery, Chasseur d'Afrique, Cuirassier, Dragoon, Zouave, Tirailleur Algerien, Hochtkiss Mitrailleuse.

Other Artillery units for the French (16th C, 17th C, early 18th C, Mid 18th C) are here:

French Artillery Units

The Downloads:

Part I

Part II

Part III

Part IV

Part V

Part VI

Very good unit! Although one is missing: Foreign Legion for late 19th

I second that. An Algerian scout of that era would be cool, too (and useful in a Steampunk setting..). Amazing unit pack, & I'm quite taken with the whole thing, from the Medieval units to the Musquetaire du Roi. Great work, Imperator!

i have analysed the units carefully and i like them. i think it would prove of great skill and beauty to add the shield on the back to those units that lack. great detail. take a look to the chamfron i sent you and maybe try it. hope we see a line of heavy javelin thrower, with their shields on their backs...thank you;)

Attachments

• FFLDrawing1.jpg
    FFLDrawing1.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 307
mon dieu! C'est magnifique! Merci beaucoup!

And then, suddenly, with out any warning, ALL THE FRENCH.

Superbe! (The italics make it French). Be sure to enter one Frenchman into the monthly unit competition!

There's a new French horse knight... I want it to participate in my mod instead of the old one made by Sandris. You know what it means. :)

Mr Imperator, sir, a bow to you, a respect to you and a HUGE "thank you very much" for the brilliant work to you! :)

i have analysed the units carefully and i like them. i think it would prove of great skill and beauty to add the shield on the back to those units that lack.

Sorry, but what would a shield on the back be useful for?

I like the historical accuracy of your work, Imperator. Great units!

first, steph i agree with you some heavy or semi heavy medieval cavalry for the maghrebians,

second ares - units in medieval warfare were not onle archers or peltast, they were multi many tasks men like steph, so they had to have shield and weapons for self defense, a shield on the back of a unit suggests that this unit is not only a hit and run unit dressed in heavy chainmail, but also a heavy infantryman that is using also a bow, rather that inverse. the explanation is larger than that so i will stop here. so i ask mr.imperator to add in the future also shields on the back as a refinement brought to his superb units.

Sorry, Jerry, but I have to disagree, at least if you generalize it so much. Most sources say otherwise. And trust me, I've seen enough at the University I studied Medieval History at. Until the late middle ages, the common bowman could not even afford armor. Ever tried to shoot an arrow with an 11th-13th century shield on your back? At least up to the 14th century, depictions of warriors with shields on their back are VERY rare, and IIRC none of these are shown in hand-to-hand combat (one or two are shown destroying fortifications, but that's it). Even if you had one or two manuscripts showing such a thing, it would still be an exception.

first, steph i agree with you some heavy or semi heavy medieval cavalry for the maghrebians,
My suggestion was for a 19th century Sipahi, not for a medieval cavalry. For medieval cavalry, we could use Sandris's marinid. But we don't have gunpowder arabian lines.

steph, i must agree with you once again...

ares, what you say may be true for some parts of western europe, but the rest of euroasia is inverse, here traditions are semiheavy infantry relying of bowshot, obligatory for every soldier to carry a bow to the battlefield, and self defence weapons, u may know very well the price of a mail shirt fluctuating through each century and u will notice some times prices compared to a large number of cattle, an ordinary soldier could not afford it, unless it belonged to a retinue of somebody. since a soldier has a mail shirt it belongs automatically to heavy infantry. i have a mail shirt and i mock people by convincing them to put it on and then undress it, on the other side a shield is affordable, and u never know when u might get involved into combat, so a shield is more probable for an archer, than a mailshirt. if u have a shiel how do u carry it, and since u are heavy infantry u may fight also hand to hand combat. longbowmen where the cheapest infantry available, and they fought with no honor by killing the enemy horse, they didn't want to fight with french knights - so the point goes to you, but because a shield is a massproduction item and since it is less expensive, and comes in different shapes and sizes, the point goes to me. what do we do with an equall score??

Longbowmen cheap? It took a lifetime to train them.

You agreed that Ares' statement is true for western europe. This IS a pack of Frenchmen, so point goes to Ares, I'm afraid.

Imperitor, lovely work, once again. The 19th century units are especially welcome, and I can see that soon we will finally have full upgrade lines for all cultures in that era!

I'll join in the requests
Maybe you want to revisit Asia, and release a 19th century pack for them? (civ colored please like belts or nap-sacks sheaths, but not the shirts, pants or hats)
Japan:
Spoiler :

Boshin War (1868–1869)
Spoiler :

Imperial Forces (Satsuma and Choshu during Boshin War:

Choshu Soldiers

Shogunate Forces:

Republic of Yezo Troops:

Satsuma Rebellion 1877
Spoiler :
Black, shirts or Purple (which should actually be black, or deep dark blue) is Imperial, White shirts or in traditional clothes or with the cross are Satsuma. Red is either one.

First Sino-Japanese War (1894-1895)
Spoiler :
White or black Western clothes are Japanese

Top Bottom