Map Maker's Templates

Drewcifer

Agent of Karma
These tools are for people who want to create their own maps. These maps consist of ocean with a grid of mountains. All 5 standard map sizes are represented plus the largest size the editor will permit. The dimentions in the titles are the size of the grid drawn on the template. These templates came into existance as a result of my efforts to create maps of the Great Lakes and the South Pacific. The Great Lakes map used a different, diagonal grid that was less sucessful; the South Pacific was created with the current version. The basic process I used was as follows:

- Using tracing paper with a grid on it or graph paper that is so cheap that you can see through it, trace the map you want to use on to the graph paper (this may require placing a light under the map).

- Count the number of squares on both the X and Y axis of the map you have just drawn and compare it to the dimentions of the template you intend to use.

-Using this knowledge, decide on the scale the map you have just drawn relative to the template, one template square will correspond to a section of the map.

-When you have determined the scale of your map, you can put the template grid points on your traced map and draw lines between them, the squares you have just drawn on your map correspond to the squares on the template.

-At this point you can draw your map into the editor square by square, using an atlas, personal knowledge etc..

These templates are bic files so they are compatable with basic Civ 3 v1.29f.

this is what they look like.

Attachments

• template.jpg
    template.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 926
this picture should give you a good idea of how to use these templates. Beware of what you start, huge++ maps can take a long time (months/forever). Good regular sized maps can take as little as a day or two to make and are much more playable.

Attachments

• building australia 2.jpg
    building australia 2.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 841
Originally posted by Fëanor
but whats the difference between this and a standard grid with coordinates?
By superimposing the template grid over the paper map I have an easier time visualising the map I am trying to draw. It might be a matter of personal taste though. Also, if you are creating a map of a large part of the Earth, it often makes sense to use a composite of several maps rather than a single projection. When you are making such a map, the templates seem to make it easier to put the maps together to form a custom projection.

it should also be noted that most of the templates have fractions of squares at some of the map edges, you should take this into account when planning how to do your map.

Originally posted by Plexus
I tend to use BMP to BIC util. But that's just me.
I think the BMP to BIC utility is great for making maps quickly but it has some weaknesses. It gets a lot of the terrain wrong. It tends to paint the terrain in large swaths making unvaried maps that are boring to play on. There is a lot of distortion of the shapes of the landmasses due to the curvature of the Earth. By making your own projections you can correct these distortions. This is more of a problem for maps of larger areas of the Earth. For making quick maps of small areas BMP to BIC is probably best.

Top Bottom