OCC size1

Hi everyone!
A while ago I read about this weird idea to play an OCC-game without ever growing to size 2! :eek:
So I decided to give it a try, and so far it seems to work out pretty well. I created a game with a nice starting location, allowing to build on gold and work wine (this is possible with custom-sized maps that have overlapping special-patterns near the date-line).
If anybody should be interested I attach the start.

Some hints:
- don't build/do anything to improve city growth or happiness
- start mining the gold, THEN found the city before the mine is completed
- try to ally with the AI and beg for money

Attachments

• MI_B4000.SAV
    69 KB · Views: 71
I have seen discussions of such a game, but never tried one myself. As in your case, that one was also on a special map and on or near Gold.

It was on a gold, with ocean as the 2nd square. When I saw the game log at Apolyton, I was... stunned. Especially with the landing date.

I read about settling on mountain-gold and working forest with river. I decided to allow working on wine wich provides more trade arrows and shields. Eventually, my size-1 city was able to produce 50 arrows (=400 beakers at 100% science). I think it could have been even more if gold and wine also had rivers...

Anyway, I finished and landed in 1936, however I did reload a couple of times to correct some stupid playing mistakes.

I think that Poly players usually allowed themselves reloading in "stunt games" like the first OCC efforts, but not in comparison games. Not quite sure about this, but I'd take some of those dates with a grain of salt. Still pretty impressive, of course.

The Map
This map was actually a lot of fun. I played it with the intent of landing an OCC-1 SS (size 1 "landing"), for the first time in many years. I began the game with full intent of a standard landing, probably in the 1900's. But... that is not what happened.

In a major game goal switch (and in an OCCC-1, this is more major than probably any other game type), when some elements for a possible conquer became apparent, I decided to commit to a OCCC. The trajectory of build order, use of caravans, aggressiveness to neighbors, choice of Wonders, priority of exploration, nature of treaties (or lack thereof), choice and timing of governments, etc. all change markedly from OCC-1 "normal" strategy. By the early 1800's, the progression of the game appeared tight -- to get everything done (e.g., every AI village located and conquered) by 2020, esp. since this game was not started as a conquer. With early commitment to terrain modifications on certain continents, and among key future enemies, and in particular preparation for RR, the major obstacles were overcome. Blocking (and delay when those eventually collapsed) both allies and enemies with containment as objective also reduced AI expansion to such an effect that the 2020 deadline was not even a factor in the final bloody wars and destruction of enemy villages.

However, this map has some very interesting terrain characteristics for an OCCC player who takes advantage of them, though I did win it using with Civ II Gold MGE... before 1940. The enemy was actually crushed militarily, my record remained Spotless until the end (when I had to attack my Ally after it ended the alliance and I got saddled with an "Excellent"), and my ally actually rushed to my aide (yes, in MGE) and actively (though ineffectively) helped me against some of the enemies. My ally, the most powerful civ (Carthaginian) helped me financially on more than one occasion. Techwise, I was able to delay gunpowder to key AI's, disrupt their AI communication/tech trading, while orchestrating the world's research, yet keeping a military tech lead enroute to my obtaining Tactics and Espionage.

Wonders
The key (essential in this game) wonder was Leonardo's. But the first wonder was Marco Polo, and the game would have been "iffy" had this not been built. Colossus was out of the question, of course, given the nature of OCCC-1 play and resources. Copernicus was also used, along with the only improvements of Library and eventually University. The 4th wonder was Darwin's Voyage, and was the catapult to Espionage, not the usual Corporation or Electronics of many regular games: the techs taken were Industrializaion, Communism, and the start of Espionage, which was the final key tech for the game. The orchestrating of the techs to arrive in this position were important, as was the timing to make the Darwin.

While not able to gain SunTzu as a size 1 due to limited resources and priorities, I was able to keep it in the hands of my Ally, and later destroy the wonder at the outset of the eventual end-game Armageddon (though Carthage had built Barracks in most villages anyway). Magellan's was the 5th and final wonder, and both some disbandments and final RB was used to beat an enemy to it, when I was surprised by the sudden announcement that it was almost completed, 3 or 4 turns before I had expected it.

Room for Improvement
Big picture mistakes, in hindsight, were becoming more powerful militarily than was necessary, and in late game, rather impulsively (based mainly on certain other OCCC games of the past) deciding that the Magellans expedition was important enough to complete with a PRB of ca. 570 gold. It was not, given the terrain layout, and ocean tiles between key locations which required only a 5-move vessel in late game, which a normal transport can easily handle. I had also forgotten (its been a while) the fact that my spies could locate the key AI ship villages and clean most of the seas with land battles, not sea battles, and would not need to "run". In an OCCC-1, or any OCC game at all, real thought must be given to choice of wonders, and how they are used on a given map. In many respects, OCCC is more like Chess, than other Civ 2 variants.

Ocean/Navy
On this map, the end game will fail if the AI gets control of the seas and the human transport network in key channels is broken. Its game over (human loss) in that case, and Magellans can make the difference, but in this game as it played out, Magellan was not particularly important after all, and on almost every ship move, the extra +2 move was completely wasted (the only "help" was on a couple returning ships that were exploring black ocean just for fun). Prior to the final Indian conflict, I bribed 2 of their Ironclads which had spent much of the game bombarding Japanese units, for a cost of 500+ gold each, in the anticipation of naval battles occurring between continents, where my critical galleon/transports were operating.

In another footnote, in this game, Industrialization did not yield transports as I had expected and planned. In the management of techs, I had overlooked the necessity of obtaining Magnetism in order for Leonardo's to upgrade caravels to transports. This was a pretty major oversight, though on this map and the way it played out, it was not critical. But it certainly could have been, as there is a huge difference in speed, capacity, and defense value of Transports over Caravels. A minor advantage of caravels is the ability to kill barbarian leaders on occasion, but I dont think that during the extra interval of ca. 25 years until I stole Magnetism and Theology and finally got Transports that any Caravels got any kills.

Governments
I used Monarchy, Republic, and (during last ca. 20 endgame turns) Fundamentalism. I never built any Fanatics, there was zero need for them with my 5 or 7 attack army of about 80 riflemen; but did use the 20 shield prod box to IPRB/PRB units, particularly spies. Trade was no longer important, as my main and most profitable trade villages belonged to America (Washington) and India (which had the Colossus). Washington was destroyed before the endgame after backstabbings (which were triggered by my almighty trade unit doing a fine job ZOC-ing), and most Indian villages shortly before the endgame, limited by the Senate or lucrative cash/tech offers for cease fires/peace.

I can make a writeup later, if there is any interest in this style of play, though actually, its probably better to begin with a regular OCCC-20 game. This map does make for a nice OCCC-1 game though.

NOTES/TERMINOLOGY
Spoiler :

OCC: One City Challenge
OCC SS: One City Challenge, SpaceShip (or "landing) game. Note: the normal context of nearly all references you will see is that OCC is a Landing (SS) game; I post with the SS, since my posts may often not be clear which one the topic is about.
OCC-20: This is one city, with unrestricted size. 20 refers to the base number of tiles that a village can cover, since the upper size limit is variable for a given location in OCC.
OCC-4: This is a fun variant of the original OCC; one good map to try this on for the first time is Four Whales (by Sten Sture).
OCC-1: One city, size 1. Landings are certainly possible!

OCCC: One City Challenge, Conquer. You are never ever allowed to possess a 2nd city for any reason, but can of course (and must) raze villages. You win when the AI is conquered, not necessarily when all villages in the world are destroyed. Barbarians can control a village(s) in some games.
OCCC-20: Full size city, playing OCCC.
OCCC-4: City cannot exceed size 4.
OCCC-1: City must remain size 1 for the entire game.

A thread regarding OCCC is now made, to avoid hijacking the SS intent of this thread and make easier to find OCCC information if others are interested.

Top Bottom