Food Resources

killmeplease

Mk Z on Steam
Link up food resources ( Wheat, Cattle, Fish, Bananas), create buildings utilizing them and get tons of food in your key cities! Make some megapolices!

Or use food resources to feed a production powerhouse somewhere in the heart of a desert! No more your cities will stick to food-rich locations.

There are 4 food-producing buildings in the mod significantly increasing food intake of the city. They require bonus resources to be built. At the same time food from resource-free buildings was removed. So instead of having virtually 7-10+ additional food in each city (granary + hospital + water mill) you will have a number of cities supplied with as much as up to 25 additional :c5food: Food from bonus resource utilizing buildings.

New buildings are:

Grocery Store: cost 120 :c5production:, +4 :c5food: Food, 1 :c5happy: Happiness, consumes 1 Cattle and 1 Fish, maintenance 1 :c5gold: Gold. Deer sources worked by this city produce additional +1 :c5food: Food.
Requires Optics.

Supermarket: cost 400 :c5production:, +5 :c5food: Food, +1 :c5happy: Happiness, consumes 1 Bananas, maintenance 2 :c5gold: Gold
Requires Refrigeration, city must have Grocery Store.

Grain Elevator: cost 500 :c5production:, +10 :c5food: Food, consumes 1 Wheat, maintenance 3 :c5gold: Gold.
Requires Railroads, city must have Granary.

Changes to existing buildings:

Granary: cost 100 :c5production:, +6 :c5food: Food, consumes Wheat resource. No additional food from worked resources.
Water Mill: cost 80 :c5production:, provides 2 :c5production: Production, maintenance 1 :c5gold: Gold (was 1 Production, 2 Food, cost 120, maintenance 2). Floating Gardens left unchanged.
Hospital: additional 20% :c5food: Food kept after growth, 1 :c5happy: Happiness (was +5 Food).

You can download it from the in-game Mod Browser
OR from the download database

Attachments

• 2011-06-23_00001.jpg
    2011-06-23_00001.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 1,565
  • 2011-06-23_00002.jpg
    2011-06-23_00002.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 1,292
  • 2011-06-23_00003.jpg
    2011-06-23_00003.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 1,265
+6 food that early on for the granary is way OP IMHO. It is 60% of hanging gardens and you can have one in every city!

Excellent idea, I always wanted some kinds of food destribution across empire, like from oversaturated agrocities to strategic desert outposts. It really adds tonns of realism and strategic value to food.

Few questions:

1. Does AI know how to use these new possibilities?
2. Can you trade resources?
3. If you can, does AI know how to appraise the current value of resources?
4. Can Grocery store consume randomly either 1 cattle or 1 fish? Because in most cases it will be unavailable for empires deep inside the continents.

I have few suggestions:

1. Other cities should be able to use resources they don't have on their territory only if they are connected to the capital via roads/railroads or harbour, otherwise it is very imbalanced.
2. Since these resources are common comparing to luxuries, they should contribute more in terms of quantity. Like 2 of them per source to the empire pull instead of 1 (may be this should be an upgrade from researching something like Fertilizer).

Excellent idea, I always wanted some kinds of food destribution across empire, like from oversaturated agrocities to strategic desert outposts. It really adds tonns of realism and strategic value to food.

Few questions:

1. Does AI know how to use these new possibilities?
2. Can you trade resources?
3. If you can, does AI know how to appraise the current value of resources?
4. Can Grocery store consume randomly either 1 cattle or 1 fish? Because in most cases it will be unavailable for empires deep inside the continents.

I have few suggestions:

1. Other cities should be able to use resources they don't have on their territory only if they are connected to the capital via roads/railroads or harbour, otherwise it is very imbalanced.
2. Since these resources are common comparing to luxuries, they should contribute more in terms of quantity. Like 2 of them per source to the empire pull instead of 1 (may be this should be an upgrade from researching something like Fertilizer).

1. it can build those buildings as they have flavour tags in xml.
2. you cant trade food resources. there is a possibility to mod that in (see Food Economy mod). but i'm certain AI will not understand how to trade them to its benefits.
3. do you mean city placement strategy? i have not touched this aspect, thank you for pointing to. i have to look what could be done there.
4. cows and fish are very abudant so either cow or fish resource alone reqirement would be meaningless.

1. at the time when you can build those buildings all your cities are already connected to capital by some way, usually.

2. interesting idea but i think the quantity we have is ok.

Thanks for both your mods, they add a lot to the game. :)
Are there any incompatibilities with other mods?
Apart from that, should I load them before or after other mods, especially CivUP/VEM?

thanks!
not sure about incompatibilities, for emigration 3, it may be incompatible with mods that use custom notificationpanel.lua (and not a Sneaks/alpaca's one).
Food Resources cant be incompatible with anything as its an xml mod. Though loading it along with other mods which change granary and water wheel may produce mozaic effects.

Alright, thanks once more. :) I'll try it out by loading yours last then and hopefully will be without any mosaics. :)

Hello there,
Any word on making this mod (or parts of it) Gods & Kings compatible? I love the concept of tradable food, since it's a major issue in geopolitics and can be a valuable mechanic. I'm currently designing a post-apocalyptic mod, and want to place a heavy focus on the struggle to acquire food.

Even if only some of the core mechanics were updated, that would be great. Or perhaps explain your methods so I could try implementing some of them in my own code?

Hello there,
Any word on making this mod (or parts of it) Gods & Kings compatible? I love the concept of tradable food, since it's a major issue in geopolitics and can be a valuable mechanic. I'm currently designing a post-apocalyptic mod, and want to place a heavy focus on the struggle to acquire food.

Even if only some of the core mechanics were updated, that would be great. Or perhaps explain your methods so I could try implementing some of them in my own code?

there is no food trading in this mod
for the food trading see the Food Economy mod

Outstanding, I'll have to test it and see. I suppose I should have clarified, I like this mod's concept of using resources to create buildings to boost food, but also plan on integrating tradeable food, ala Food Economy. Do you mind if I tinker with your work a little bit while trying to fuse the two concepts together?

Top Bottom