Civ5 GOTM Submission Deadlines

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
We have been discussing in the staff thread whether we should make a change to the deadlines for the TSGs. We would like to try running each game for a month.

While the deadline for the game would change to a month, we would still start a new game every two weeks and they would run at the same time.

Curious what you think of doing this?

Well, I guess it depends on your motivation for something like this, no?

One month would mean more time for participants to join in which would probably up the number of entries for each round.
It would also encourage people to replay the rounds and submit their personal best.

But would it be easier from a management point of view?

Well, I guess it depends on your motivation for something like this, no?
Motivation is to encourage more players to participate.

One month would mean more time for participants to join in which would probably up the number of entries for each round.
It would also encourage people to replay the rounds and submit their personal best.
With GOTM, as well as TSGs, the first play through is the game you must submit.
Replays are for trying to do better and telling others what you discovered, what the differences were in your games, for the purpose of learning to play better. Just wanted to clarify. :)

But would it be easier from a management point of view?
We are flexible, most of the time... :mischief:

If i understand, games can be followed like this(for example) :

GOTM X : 2011-07-01 to 2011-07-31
GOTM Y : 2011-07-15 to 2011-08-14
GOTM Z : 2011-08-01 to 2011-08-30

and so on.

If i understand, games can be followed like this(for example) :

GOTM X : 2011-07-01 to 2011-07-31
GOTM Y : 2011-07-15 to 2011-08-14
GOTM Z : 2011-08-01 to 2011-08-30

and so on.
Exactly. :thumbsup:

I would support a test phase of maybe 2 months. You need to track the numbers of submissions per TSG and it should go up (btw, what is your aim? 10 % more submissions? 50 %?).

This is also a great idea to test other difficulties. Maybe you need to lower the difficulty to attract more new players.

This is also a great idea to test other difficulties. Maybe you need to lower the difficulty to attract more new players.
We could alternate difficulty levels. Have a Prince or King level game followed by an Emperor or Immortal?

Sounds good to me, particularly as I am just off on holiday and will miss the TSG15 deadline! Altering difficulty levels to increase participation also gets my vote.

What is TSG15? I clicked on this because it was under game of the month.

Welcome to GoTM. :wavey:

What is TSG15? I clicked on this because it was under game of the month.
TSG15 means the 15th Game in the Training Series of games we have been running.

For an overview, please click here.

For details of the TSG15 game (and the save), please click here.

Please let me know if I didn't answer your question. :)

I like the 30-day proposal. I have trouble finishing my 1st run through in two weeks, let alone getting it submitted. What about the 1st one of the month due the 30th/31st and the 2nd of the month also due the 30th/31st? This way those who are newer (like myself) can focus on the 1st but if time permits, have an option for another TSG in the same month.

We could alternate difficulty levels. Have a Prince or King level game followed by an Emperor or Immortal?
If lower difficulty games will attract new players then it makes sense to have them on occasion. I for one however would like to see all difficulty levels represented. Yes even Deity. If these TSGs are never to be at Immortal or Deity then perhaps we could have an alternate higher difficulty TSG? Thanks.

i think its a great idea. with a month to play most people i think would find time to finish, i know i would ;) and those who play more would have a new game every two weeks. Also we would know when the next one is coming and plan accordingly. I like it.

Interesting. I want to see more set of difficulties too.

I'd prefer a new game every 2 weeks, running for a month but at alternating difficulty levels.

Especially at the higher levels I seem to learn most from the others, so if achoice is made to have a game only once a month I hope to see the higher levels 2 out of three games...

I vote for more GOTM's on a regular basis. So 1 every 2 weeks would definitely have my blessings. For my self, I think a deadline of a month is too long, because most of the time I finish it within a week (except holidays etc.)

Here are the changes we have decided to make concerning deadlines and difficulty.

• Game deadlines will now extend to one month.
  • Games will begin on the 1st and 15th of each month (after TSG16)
  • Game difficulty will vary between Warlord and Immortal (perhaps an odd Deity if you beg enough... :joke:)
  • There will be one game per month that is Emperor or higher and one that is between King and Warlord.

Hope this works for the majority of you. :)

Top Bottom