Nobles' Club LXVII: Hammurabi of Babylon

dalamb

Deity
The Nobles' Club series started out as a way for Noble-level (and below) players to improve their game. Most of the original participants now play at much higher levels, so this has become a way for advanced players to help others learn to play better. You can play your own game at any level and with any mod, but it would be nice to comment on the games of other players and give them advice.

Our next leader is Hammurabi of Babylon, whom we last played in NC 52. The Babylonians start with Agriculture and The Wheel (which let you research pottery immediately if you feel like it).

• Traits: Hammurabi is AGGressive and ORGanzed. AGG gives Combat I for melee and gunpowder units, plus cheaper barracks and drydocks; it may let you conquer a bigger empire a little earlier. ORG gives 50% reduction in civic upkeep, plus cheaper lighthouses, courthouses, and factories; it lets you build a bigger empire sooner without crashing your economy.
  • His UB: the Garden, a Colosseum that gives an extra +2:health:; this synergizes well with ORG for supporting larger cities earlier.
  • His UU: the Bowman, an Archer that gets +50% versus melee units. This makes it a better defender but doesn't benefit from the AGG trait.
And the start:

Spoiler map details :
Full of Resources, 2 custom continents variant, after a lot of regenerations to see what the script is like and to reject a few where an AI seemed to have far too much territory. I stopped when we happened to get a really, really nice start. I'm not really sure how close the FoR version of CC is to the normal one, since when I was exploring what the map would do under various parameterizations, I occasionally saw weird stuff like forests on top of wheat.

There is a lot of possible parameterization with this script, and it's not really all that well explained. For what it's worth, here's a description of the parameters I set. I wasn't sure whether to spoiler it but erred on the side of caution.
Spoiler script options :
  • The biggie: people asked for a food-rich map, so on the "Resources" page I increased "percentage of ground resources" and "percentage of water resources" to 35 from 27, a 25% increase. It looks like I could have just increased "health" resources, which would have just increased food.
  • On the "Ground" tab:
    • Reduced "desert" from 80 to 40 but I really don't know the exact effect other than to reduce desert. I think all the "percentages" on that page are really proportions, which get divided by the total of all the "percentages".
    • Reduced the "rivers" option from 12 to 10, which increases the number of river tiles.
    • Turned on "remove mountains from coast.
  • Turned on ("apply" button) all "Standardization" options one the "Starting Locations" tab, except Team.
  • Increased the number governing huts from 2.5 to 3.5, which if I understand correctly increases the number of huts by 40% (of course, only for those who use the Huts map variants)
Spoiler edits :
Turned our starting location to a hill. Moved a nearby corn from off-river to on-river.
Finally, a cut and paste of our standard doctrine:

There are no hard and fast rules here: fun and learning are our primary goals, but we do suggest that you update your progress at various points in the game, using the Spoiler feature of the boards. You can post as often as you like; here's one suggestion:
  • 4000 BC (starting thoughts, no spoiler required for that discussion)
  • 1000 BC or so (how you decided to progress up the early tech/build paths, which AIs you have met, where you're thinking of putting cities, etc)
  • 500 AD or so (after establishing some cities and a possible plan of action)
  • 1200 AD or so (mid-game, Lib race, wars or peace, or whichever happened or didn't, met other
  • continent if applicable, etc)
  • 1600 AD (or when you have decided on a course of action and a specific victory condition)
  • End of game (Victory!!! or defeat, no shame in losing, especially if you tried a higher level. Learning is what we focus on, not fastest win or biggest empire)
This is just a guideline. If you're trying to improve your game, then posting more frequent updates, in as much detail as you can manage, is the best way to get suggestions from other players. If you come to what seems like a major decision and you want some advice, post an update, regardless of what game-year it is.

We also welcome players to ask for specific game advice, as we have a number or stronger players who lurk and help out with solid tips, and of course, we help each other. Replies to specific questions should also be in spoilers, with a simple "@" in front of the person the answer is directed towards.

Special Thanks go to Bleys and TMIT, who really made this series a great one, r_rolo1, mapmaker extraordinaire, for his maps for most of the series, and all of you for playing.

The WB-saves are attached (zipped; they are bigger than standard saves). To play, simply download and unzip it into your BTS/Saves/WorldBuilder folder. Start the game, and load your favorite MOD (if you use one, if not, check out the BUG MOD), select "Play Scenario", and look for "NC 77 Hammurabi Noble" (or Monarch, etc., for higher levels)
Spoiler what's up with specific difficulties :
In each scenario file you can select your level of difficulty, but that doesn't give the AI the right bonus techs by itself. Use the Noble save for all levels at and below Noble. The Monarch save gives all the AI Archery. Emperor adds Hunting; Immortal adds Agriculture; Deity adds The Wheel
You can play with your favorite MOD at the Level and Speed of your choice. From Quick-Warlord to Marathon-Deity, all are welcome! We stuck with the name "Nobles Club" because it has a cool ring to it.

Note: The standard saves have no huts and have events turned off. If you want tribal villages and random events, choose the saves with "Huts" in their names. If you want huts but no events, select the Huts saves and use Custom Scenario to turn on the option that suppresses events.

For players on Monarch or above, you should add archery as a tech for the barbarians (if you don't, the AI will capture their cities very early). This cannot be done in the WB save file and must be done in Worldbuilder as follows:
Spoiler how to add techs to the barbarians :

1. Zoom in all the way so you can't see the rest of the map.
  2. Use the CTRL-W key (or the menu) to enter the worldbuilder. Avoid looking at the mini-map in the lower right corner.
  3. By default you're in "player" mode (look in the box in the upper right; the icon that looks like a person should be selected). You'll get a drop down menu labeled with your leader's name. Barbarians are at the bottom, so cover the rest of the list with your hand if you don't want to see who else is on the map. Select "Barbarians".
  4. Select the "Technologies" tab in the box on the left.
  5. Find Archery (the arrow head icon; 8th row, 3rd column from the right) and click it.
  6. Exit the worldbuilder.
  7. Zoom out again after the map fades, and start playing.

Attachments

• NC 77 Hammurabi.zip
    209.1 KB · Views: 566
Spoiler :

Huts!!! And such a nice start... How much time do I have before the next one? I might give it a try.

is that a 3 hammer start if you settle in place? I've been thinking about playing this one and that start is so ridiculous I just might.

If I play this, I'm almost certainly going to wind up getting too wonder crazy in the early game for my own good. Might be a good lesson to learn.

Probably start it tonight.

My thoughts are Mining then AH. I'm not sure if it matters since my first move would be to improve the Wheat straight away. If I recall correctly you can get Mining and AH in before your worker finishes building a farm.

Turn 75 Emperor/Normal
Spoiler :
Talk about $hitloads of resources. My initial thought was "f*ck! Tokugawa has to be my next door neighbor. He's getting HA rushed. Then, when AH came in, he had the closest source of horses. Double f*ck! Ok, plan b he's getting elepulted. Tech path went mining > AH > BW > masonry > fishing > mysticism > writing > math > hunting > construction > HBR. I thought I could get fail gold from great wall before I built mids, but AI was too slow. My immediate plans are chopping out stables and elephants to destroy tokugawa. I will decide whether or not to kill HC and/or zara afterwards, but this land really makes me greedy. I want HC to build the great lighthouse for me.

ugh I called for map full of food... not full of everything...

as i see it it will be problematic to streamline the early game and not to try foolishly achieve everything...

I'm thinking SIP is the best option. 3 hammer city, 2 golds and enough food to sustain them. The only other option would be to head to the coast I guess, but thats overkill food if you include the deer and the golds just to valuable to pass up. Mining before pottery then :p

Alright, trying this one at Prince/Normal(also, should I use the Noble or Monarch save for Prince?)

Spoiler :
Settled in place, a bit overwhelmed by all the stuff, but Animal->Mining first to get food and gold hooked up. Worker ->Warrior->Settler to hit the triple Gold site to the south.

Met Zara on turn 13 after exploring north and down the east coast. He'll probably be a strong contender with this many resources. Huayna on turn 25, gonna have some competition.

I decided to try for Stonehenge because of the stone/combined with Organized meaning I'd could try to get as many cities out as possible. and get them set up quickly.

Sent my Settler to [1] to block off my little peninsula and get the commerce up and running. I don't know how close the other 2 are, but at worst with where we started I can see 6 good cities.

Settled there and immediately saw red borders, not sure if its Russia or Japan yet. Got Stonehenge in 2440. Turns out red is Toku. Not the nicest neighbor, I figure I'll try to take him out once I've gobbled up as much land as I can.

Once I got my third Settler out I saw that Great Wall would only take 6 turns to build, so I gave it a go and got there in 1720.

I settled to block off the western land at the start of what turned out to be a peninsula. Now at 1000 BC I see 5 city sites I want + however many that peninsula can support. I'm making a few axes to deal with an annoying Barb city, and just got a Prophet who I settled in the capital to support my economy which is -1 at 80% with 5 cities, and a 6th to be settled once the Barb city is gone.

The world;

Accidentally let Akkad grow too big. :( Not a whole lot of happy resources, so I figure Monarchy might be a priority. Still, nearly 20% of the world's population, and almost 10% of the land with a bunch to backfill means this should be very strong.

I'm thinking now I might attempt to get on Toku's good side and win culture with him as a buffer against everyone, but that's the easy way out since warfare is my definite weak point in Civ. Still, thoughts, suggestions, comments would be awesome.

Oh yeah; tech so far;

Been pretty good, can't wait to play some more. :) Thanks in advance.

I love that extra hammer. SIP for sure. Great capital.

Wow, I am liking(loving) what I see. This map is out of this world so to Alph centauri for me at immortal level.

SIP, worker and several war, AH and then to wring. I wonder about CS sling but may be better to be safe and go for MC for more happy.

New leader for me.

You call this full of resources map?
No gems!?!?! :gripe:
And no silver!?
And where are my furs!?!?!11

Spoiler :

Well.. What a start, I don't know what to say! First off, settling in place looks to be impossible to pass up. That extra production bonus for building the starting worker is also nice. My likely decision will be to tech mining right away, and lay down irrigation and some mines with that.

The question becomes, at what size to build first settler? 4 Would seem to be a good choice (two food, two gold) but with the starting production bonus in capital, and the ability to afford early expansion, I think you actually want to get Settler1 out earlier than later. Will consider the numbers when I get to play the map!

Prince/Normal/No events or huts
1919 Diplomation

Spoiler :

Not only is that start nice and we have food everywhere, Hammy's starting techs are very nice. Not that we needed the wheel since the stone is on the river. Went AH---> Mining---> Mason ---> Myst---> BW. Stonehenge completes in a timely fashion and the 2nd city is out so fast thanks to the extra hammer getting settlers and fogbusting warriors out faster just enough so the settler doesn't get randomly jumped.

Of course, it can't be completely smooth sailing as Toku is rather close by. I figure I'll need some bowmen in case he gets too angry. Skipped the GW since I hate Great spies and bowmen are good enough if I really have to. Eventually I research hunting for the elephant happiness.

Toku proves to be too much of an obstruction, and I had to find a way to get on his good side. I decided one of my side cities sends out a settling party to offer themselves to the Japanese. I try to find the worst city possible to settle against him, preferably near Zara where it can cause tensions and without getting that city's culture in the way of my own expansion. But unfortunately as they go down, they run against a barb warrior, and thanks to Toku's unwillingness to open borders, they can't run away from the barb! But it's ok... they'll sacrifice themselves. I just settle a city right there and it is immediately gifted to Toku, who easily takes the bait.

It's promptly razed the next turn by barbs, but that's not my problem. He's happy anyways and opens borders.

Unfortunately he doesn't like anyone else and absolutely zero religion reaches me, so I found confu, and it jumps over to him. I build the AP under Confucianism to deny it from anyone else. Was planning to lib steel, but accidentally researched it myself. (I clicked on steel in the tech menu to go straight to it, but forgot to change it. :lol:) Libbed Sci Meth around 1000 BC and went for Biology. Probably should have libbed Biology, honestly, they were pretty behind.

Anyhow, I went to free religion after completing the Taj and because I was able to wonder spam and expand someone decently, Toku would prove to be an easy target. But wait, he peacevassals... and suddenly he has grenadiers. Damn Cupac's been teching well himself. Fortunately, he decides to jump off Inca's protection. Seeing that this is time time to attack, I wait a few more turns to get some artillery and destroy his forces.

He's stubborn as always, so Zara is bribed in to fight Toku. Hunaya decides to take this time to attack Zara, so I'm good for now. After Japan gives in, Inca's next and needs to die for beating me to the statue of liberty. Before I go for that though, I grabbed the modern culture wonders except for Hollywood.

I also decide to betray Zara at this point, though in retrospect, it might have just been better to go for space asap. Memhed builds the UN and tries to go for a diplo victory. He's backed by his whole continent, and is going for space, plus he hates me. After Zara caps, I have enough votes to control the UN and switch everyone into FR, breaking up their side a bit.

As I'm pretty ahead of them in tech, I decide to build my own spaceship, while planning to raid/capture some of the Ottoman cities. Thanks to Zara, I'm only a few dozen votes away from winning as well and I can also finish a spaceship long before anyone else does. I decide to attack the Ottomans anyways because they are annoying.

Capped the Ottomans with Mech infantry/mobile artilery/Modern Armor. They were not so behind in tech, having attack submarines that terrorized my coast. But they didn't have enough and bribing in Khan caused them to give up hope fairly quickly.

For some reason I was really slow in building thrusters, and launched a 14 turn spaceship since it would take 5 turns for the last thrusters to finish. But since I now have control over the UN, the game's won anyways.

Maybe it'd be easier to list the wonders not built...

It was one relaxing game, once Toku was settled.

Attachments

• NC 77 Hammurabi BC-2560.CivBeyondSwordSave
    60.7 KB · Views: 169
  • NC 77 Hammurabi AD-1320.CivBeyondSwordSave
    290.6 KB · Views: 183
  • NC 77 Hammurabi AD-1755.CivBeyondSwordSave
    428.4 KB · Views: 158
I'm definitely going to play this one, starting either tonight or tomorrow. Perhaps make it my first Prince attempt... Any tips for someone attempting their first prince game?

I'm definitely going to play this one, starting either tonight or tomorrow. Perhaps make it my first Prince attempt... Any tips for someone attempting their first prince game?

Build lots of workers :). Expand!

Top Bottom