Princes of the Ancient Lakes: A Greek City-States RP

Sonereal

♫We got the guillotine♫
Supporter
This is a Realpolitik-like Civilization game. Players are immortal politicians yadayadayada only we're city-states this time around.

All parties will respond to issues presented by the game host (Sonereal ), and the ruler will either put their policy into action or heed the advice of other parties and figures and follow their course. Again, chose wisely, for bad decisions or strong opposition on the forums to the ruler could lead to me penalizing our nation in-game .

We will be playing as the great Athenian Em-err, City-State. Small Ancient Lakes map, Complete Kills, policy saving (for important reasons), No Ancient Ruins.

Realpolitik chatroom: http://realpolitik.chatango.com/ (Trololo)
---------
New players, you can form a House or join one. Houses are like political parties with key differences. For starters, there is no democracy at the beginning. When the leader of a city-state is CLOSE to death, he selects a player in his or her house to be the next King or Queen. If the King/Queen doesn't have a heir apparent before his death and there are multiple members in the House, then bad things will happen.

----------

Here are the rules:

- I as host reserve the right to veto any action any player wishes to undertake: To consolidate the stability of the AAR, to stop interference with the normal functioning of the thread or simply because I feel like it.

- Rule #1 of Realpolitik: Democracy is absolute. This is not the case in my RPs.

- I am going to ask everyone to use their own nicknames at all times when playing or in story updates they write. This is to avoid confusion. Exceptions are full names, I.E. arya126's John Arya Armitage, but he must always be referred to in short as Arya.

-I can prematurely end your career and/or life in-game if you're an asshat.

Government and City-States

Greece is a diverse civilization. Athens is a city-state, meaning there is a King. Every thirty turns, the King will select the next player to rule after him or her. As social policies are unlocked, more and more governments become acceptable.

HOWEVER, until a single social policy tree is filled, a King can't directly rule over two cities. This means that there will be several Kings or Queens.

Most importantly, Kings and Queens, at least at the beginning of the game, have full control of the military and build orders of their city.

Government Actions
Martial Law - Leader uses military to enforce military curfews and cancels elections. Opposition acts are limited with the more basic actions less likely to succeed.

Investigate - The Administration can order the investigation of another player.

Jail - The Leader can jail a player.

Government Crackdown - The government can order the mass arrest of a group of people or a group of protesters.

Opposition Actions
General Strike - Only opposition leaders can call this. When called, I take into account Opposition strength when deciding which cities are shutdown.

Assassinations - What It Says on the Tin. You hire NPCs to take out another player or NPC.

Vote of No Confidence - Opposition Leader Act. Calls for reelection. 66% of voters must support the VoNC before it can pass.

Sabotage - Basic Action. PM which improvement/building you want destroyed and it shall be.

Call for Desertion - Opposition Leader Act. Calls for Desertion in Army.

Kidnap - Like jailing, only possibly illegal.

Investigate - Players can investigate the government or another player.

Armed Revolution - VERY advanced action. Must be declared in thread by opposition leader. Every player who wishes to participate for either side PMs me with this information:

- Allegiance (Government or Rebels)
- A unit type they wish to raise (Era applicable, please)
- Name of ship (if a naval unit, otherwise, unit will be called ______'s Company. Ships for the Government will be given the prefix HMS and rebel ships will be RNV(Revolutionary Naval Vessel)).

The leaders (President and Opposition Leader) will be represented by a regiment with a Great General attached.

Then I will use worldbuilder to create a map where the fighting will take place and add in the two armies. Both sides will send in orders for their units each turn and the game is over once the opposing general is captured.

Armed Revolution Concepts:

Foreign Legions - Governments across the world might decide to send units to intervene on one side or the other.

NPC Units - NPCs that support a side will join the side as the "basic" era unit (Warrior-Spearmen-Pikemen-Musketmen-Riflemen-Infantry-Mechanized Infantry).

Governments/General Forces - Having these on your side is important.

Note, if you can think of more ideas, PM me.
------

City-State Wars

The City-States of Greece may go to war with one another for control of puppet states at any time. Kings of City-States may not conquer another city-state until a social policy tree is filled.

I generate a map and we'll work it out from there.

Social Policies

Because of the decentralized nature of Greece, the Kings and Queens will need to cooperate in military matters or try to go it alone. One important thing to keep in mind is social policies. The more influential a ruler, the more likely they will be allowed to select the next social policy. When a King or Queen selects a social policy, that social policy becomes the "norm" for the city-state while other city-states will gain the benefits but at the same time, find their own cultural legacy being overwhelm slowly but surely.

War Room Ruleset

1. When a Greek city-state declares war on another civilization, we enter the "War Room". The King/Queen can appoint players to take command of units s/he controls and give direct orders to NPCs.The advantage to letting a player take command of a unit is that the unit will be able to earn promotions.

2. A King/Queen can appoint multiple units under the command of a single player.

3. During war, there is a turn-by-turn update instead of every five, ten, or fifteen turns.

Athens
Government: Monarchy
Rulers

King Hoplite Joe (3250 BC - | 50-)

A little advice, Houses can merge and schism over time. Schisms will always have negative affects however. Consider joining a House before forming one if you arrive late because established, well-off houses will last a while.

For reference

Code:
                                              ->Disliked -> Opposed - > Hated
Unknown->Seen->Spoken Of - Recognized |
                                                         ->Liked -> Admired -> Revered

House of Athena
Founded 3250 BC
NPC Popularity: Recognized
The House of Athena is some of the most prominent worshippers of Athena, the goddess of wisdom. The House seeks to spread the word of Athena to all of the world, and will use the nessecary powers to eleminate her enemies, both external and internal
Founder: Magnive
Members: Icaria

House of Cthulhu
Founded 3250 BC
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Worhippers of The Great Priest, it has been fortold that a united Earth will bring him into this mortal plane of existance. Blood must be spilt in his name. Only he will lead us to prosperity.

Founder: Red Spy
Members: Christos

The House of Economou
Founded 3250 BC
The House of Economou is named after its founder, Nicholas Economos. Members of the House of Economou have always been keen barterers, seeking control of new resources and expanding their power through wealth and diplomacy.
Founder: Celticfury
Members: Steel Knight

The House of the Philosopher
Founded 3250 BC
NPC Popularity: Liked
To prosper, the soul and the state must be a balanced into appetite(the workers), Spirit (the warriors) and Reason (the philosophers) with reason and the philosophers in control. the philosopher ruler to both give guidance to the people and to obtain the truth of objects.
Founder: Hoplite Joe
Members: None

House of Desposyni
Founded 3250 BC
Descendants of the relatives of our lord, specifically James the Just (though anyone with a sufficient claim to a Desposynic ancestor may join), the House of Desposyni observe strict christian values and expect their subjects to follow suit.
Founder: Prospo
Members: None

I will form the House of Athena
The House of Athena is some of the most prominent worshippers of Athena, the goddess of wisdom. The House seeks to spread the word of Athena to all of the world, and will use the nessecary powers to eleminate her enemies, both external and internal

The Houe of Cthulhu

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Worhippers of The Great Priest, it has been fortold that a united Earth will bring him into this mortal plane of existance. Blood must be spilt in his name. Only he will lead us to prosperity.

Added War Room ruleset to second post. Will add player soon.

The House of Economou

The House of Economou is named after its founder, Nicholas Economos. Members of the House of Economou have always been keen barterers, seeking control of new resources and expanding their power through wealth and diplomacy.

The House of the Philosopher

To prosper, the soul and the state must be a balanced into appetite(the workers), Spirit (the warriors) and Reason (the philosophers) with reason and the philosophers in control. the philosopher ruler to both give guidance to the people and to obtain the truth of objects.

House of Desposyni

Descendants of the relatives of our lord, specifically James the Just (though anyone with a sufficient claim to a Desposynic ancestor may join), the House of Desposyni observe strict christian values and expect their subjects to follow suit.

Want to join house of Athena

Got the five Houses. Might start today. Do you guys want to decide which House becomes the King of Athens or would you rather I use RNG?

Noo, let us decide :D

And let Athena smite those who do not vote for her house! xD

And may Cthulhu smite all those who do not worship him.

If the players don't come to an agreement who should be it by Wednesday, I'll use RNG. :)

*Psst, whispering voice* Join the House of Athenaaaaaaaa

i join House of Cthulhu

Nooez! Join ze house of Athena! :D

Top Bottom