New social policies, other features that I will make in the future = aatami's ideas

aatami

Kuruth Urfarah, kuruth!
In my spare time, I decided to design a few new social policy branches and at least one new victory type. New ideas will come later on as I get more time and ideas...

New policy branch:

Enviromentalism:
Unlocks at Modern Era.
This branch cannot be active at the same time as Autocracy or Commerce.

Opener: Workers may grow forests (works the same way as improvements, time taken is twice the time it takes to grow farms) and improvements can be built on forests and jungles without clearing the forest/jungle first. You can not start wars.
Finisher: All nuclear waste from inside your borders is cleaned each turn. Whenever a nuclear missile is launched upon you, the launcher's civilization gets 20 :c5angry: for 30 turns unless they have adopted Autocracy (indirectly boosts Autocracy).

Enviromental Activism: Reveal all natural wonders on the map that have been found at some point as though you would have just found them. Culture bombing converts 100% more tiles (the hexes beside the hexes that would be normaly converted are also converted).
Rural Electrification: Roads and railroads increase unit :c5moves: movement by 50% while moving on them.
Ecological Ethics: Workers can grow jungles and make oases in the desert.
Environmental Preservation: Players with a decleration of friendship with you get +8 :c5happy: happiness. Players that declare war on you get a -1 "You are severely against natural preservation." modifier with other players and 5 :c5angry: unless they have adopted commerce.
Biophilia: Cities are in a constant "We Love the King Day" state when you are not at war. Units heal inside own cultural borders as though they where garrisoned in a city.

Any comments? Opinions? Something too OP or UP? Please comment.

Sounds cool, but if you asked me, I would put this branch in the Modern Era. In Industrial Era (1750 - 1920?) there wasn't any idea about how massive industrialization could be bad for the world (or at least I think so). This leads us to one issue: if we're to put this on Modern, then all this SP's should be powerful enough to compensate.

Anyway, it seems like a awesome idea. ;)

Sounds cool, but if you asked me, I would put this branch in the Modern Era. In Industrial Era (1750 - 1920?) there wasn't any idea about how massive industrialization could be bad for the world (or at least I think so). This leads us to one issue: if we're to put this on Modern, then all this SP's should be powerful enough to compensate.

Anyway, it seems like a awesome idea. ;)
Done. (Moved to modern era)

Enviromental SP tree is a really good idea. Have a cookie for that. I'm sure you can come up with an idea for a diplomatic SP tree too:goodjob:

I'd really like to hear some input balance-, and gameplay wise.
I am thinking of making an Enviromental victory, but do not quite know how... Maybe Enviromentalism could spread through population (not government) a little bit like culture in civ IV (the big difference being cultural borders wouldn't change because of it, and population wouldn't flip over to your civilization)? What do you people think of that?

how about environmental win is when you hit like say 100 happiness for 5 consecutive turns? that would be like people living in harmony or something.

Another idea for a policy branch to make the number twelve is "Progress" where the policies increase science output, as well as decreasing build time of new technological advances (ie, decrease time to build railroad to same as road, turn all roads into railroads, or decreased time to build newer buildings and wonders)

This sounds like quite an awesome and innovative idea. I'm not sure how it would fit into the game, given that the later social policy branches aren't all that viable, but it would definitely be cool for some modern era games or scenarios.

I don't think the 'you cannot start wars' thing would be very good. That would automatically make this policy rather useless. It's a penalty, not a bonus. And I'm not even sure how it makes sense.

For the nuclear missile penalty in the finisher, I think 20 :c5unhappy: is a bit severe. Maybe 10?

Environmental Activism seems a little weak. Ecological Ethics is interesting, and could be very overpowered if you are in the desert. I'm not sure why anyone would want to have more jungle tiles though, other than for defence.

Environmental Preservation seems a little random.

Also, 'Biophilia' is an...'interesting'...descriptor. :p

Way to OP and way to PC to boot.

That's helpful (sarcasm). If you could give some specifics (and learn how to spell) I'm sure the OP would be grateful.

I personally love the idea all together. It sounds really fun & I've always wanted to have the opportunity to grow trees in the game.

I have a few problems - 1 - being only unlockable in the modern era means it is very inaccessible, at best you're probably going to get the opener and one or maybe two other policies. Maybe move it on earlier, call it stewardship and be incompatible with honour?

Environmental activism seems OP to me. Just imagine having environmental activism with Isabella - the gold she'd get is insane and way OP. The boost to the culture bomb sounds good. Would it be a larger negative modifier than before if you take AI land?

Rural electrification on the other hand sounds quite weak - Maybe each connected route with a railroad also boosts that trade route by 25% (because, say, renewable fuels are cheaper in the long run)

Maybe ecological ethics could give a +1 production boost as well to oases and jungles to make them a little more attractive.

Environmental preservation - why would you want the AI to get even more happiness? And if you get it too, that is far too much happiness.

Ecological Ethics is interesting, and could be very overpowered if you are in the desert.

Why would you settle in the desert in the first place? It would probably only allow you to improve, say 5 tiles I'd say unless you very poorly place your cities to begin with.

That's helpful (sarcasm).

Well the tree is just silly, every single unlock is stupidly OP.
Not to mention its a modern era tree so its completely pointless.
While I know you Europeans are big on pushing PC ideas that
don't work but really...

Well the tree is just silly, every single unlock is stupidly OP.
Not to mention its a modern era tree so its completely pointless.
While I know you Europeans are big on pushing PC ideas that
don't work but really...

I'd advise you to not post your political opinions here - you're likely to start a pointless flame war; I also advise you stop being pointlessly confrontational.

As for your part of the post that has some degree of value, WHY are they OP? I agree that the modern era is too late, and I addressed that problem in what I hope is a constructive post above. Either be constructive, add something of value to the conversation, or don't bother replying. I fail to see how, for example, the road/railroad movement policy is even slightly OP.

(edit) I ended up myself being pointlessly confrontational.

In my spare time, I decided to design a few new social policy branches and at least one new victory type. New ideas will come later on as I get more time and ideas...

New policy branch:

Enviromentalism:
Unlocks at Modern Era.
This branch cannot be active at the same time as Autocracy or Commerce.

Opener: Workers may grow forests (works the same way as improvements, time taken is twice the time it takes to grow farms) and improvements can be built on forests and jungles without clearing the forest/jungle first. You can not start wars.
Finisher: All nuclear waste from inside your borders is cleaned each turn. Whenever a nuclear missile is launched upon you, the launcher's civilization gets 20 :c5angry: for 30 turns unless they have adopted Autocracy (indirectly boosts Autocracy).

The Opener is alright. The Finisher is so incredibly overpowered that it hurts.

Enviromental Activism: Reveal all natural wonders on the map that have been found at some point as though you would have just found them. Culture bombing converts 100% more tiles (the hexes beside the hexes that would be normaly converted are also converted).

Interesting.
Rural Electrification: Roads and railroads increase unit :c5moves: movement by 50% while moving on them.

Might work well with the Commerce Branch.

Ecological Ethics: Workers can grow jungles and make oases in the desert.

Also interesting.
Environmental Preservation: Players with a decleration of friendship with you get +8 :c5happy: happiness. Players that declare war on you get a -1 "You are severely against natural preservation." modifier with other players and 5 :c5angry: unless they have adopted commerce.

I do not like this at all. It's hardly realistic, for starters.

Biophilia: Cities are in a constant "We Love the King Day" state when you are not at war. Units heal inside own cultural borders as though they where garrisoned in a city.

The second part of this should be the policy alone and moved up the tree. Meanwhile, the first sentence should be the Finisher.

Top Bottom