GOTM 25

Duke of Marlbrough

The Quiet Moderator
Retired Moderator
This month's GOTM is a combination of ideas from what people suggested. :groucho:

You start as Catherine the Great of the Russians on the North Island of New Zealand in the Bay of Plenty with two settlers.

Large Earth map, map is revealed, but you do not know where the AI civs start.

Emperor Level
Raging Hordes
Every Civ was given the Monarchy tech (in addition to what they may have normally had)
Bloodlust
No Restarts

The game is due March 9th, 2003. This allows everyone an extra weekend to play the game. Have Fun!

File

Be sure you are using the correct saved game file.

Saved game file updated
Game Criteria clarified

Looks great, DoM!. Bloodlust means a premium on a faster finish or a more elegant civilization build. Should be fun.

Just one question:

what does no techs by conquest mean?

I get the dreaded "file is not a saved game" message. Is this in 2.42?

Damn, I was afraid I forgot something.... :(

I've replaced the file with the 2.42 version, but unfortunately I had to remake the entire thing in 2.42.

Also, since my 2.42 (or maybe all of them) don't line up right with the scenario buttons I was not able to keep the 'No techs from conquest' portion.

So, if you have already started playing, stop. Get the new File and start again. There is no loss due to the map already being revealed.

The file that you should be using is now called 'New_GOTM_25.sav'. Since this was caught early on, if you did not start your game using this file, do so now. Any games submitted using the wrong file will not be accepted.

Originally posted by Duke of Marlbrough
Also, since my 2.42 (or maybe all of them) don't line up right with the scenario buttons I was not able to keep the 'No techs from conquest' portion.
So does this mean we will get techs from conquest, or not?

All right, I take the blame for the New Zealand suggestion - although I was thinking of the South Island...

Too bad about Bloodlust - could have been a half-decent OCC, but then playing as the Russians will hurt research when you descend to Pathetic in Power Rating...

No huts, right?

Anybody NOT going Alphabet->Mapmaking?

Here's a "Lunch Time Laugh" for everyone:

If I have not even placed a city yet, and I am Russian/White so no one else has either, and we all have the same starting tech, how is it that I am 2nd in Literacy? To whom, the Barbs?

Originally posted by ElephantU
All right, I take the blame for the New Zealand suggestion - although I was thinking of the South Island...

Too bad about Bloodlust - could have been a half-decent OCC, but then playing as the Russians will hurt research when you descend to Pathetic in Power Rating...

I almost started everyone on the Southern Island, especially since one of their regions there is called 'Marlborough'. ;) If it didn't touch the south pole I would have.....

My other thought was to start the game with a trireme, but figured that would make it too easy. :)

I thought being the White player for an OCC was best? That way you are your own key civ and therefore wouldn't have any research penalty....?

But if you are your own Key Civ you cannot get the bonus for tech-gifting your KeyCiv ahead of you in techs (assuming you do not pursue some that they have).

Ah, the other civs have freebie techs. I gather you removed any we started with...

SCENARIO means we dont suffer tech "hiding", right? And no huts?

Looks like fun. Just have to finish up #24 tomorrow!

Originally posted by Duke of Marlbrough

Large Earth map, map is revealed, but you do not know where the AI civs start.
You can use find city after a few turns to locate the enemy civs first city.

You do know where the other civs are... watch the barbarians progress across the map, they reveal cities for you. I don't know how or even if it is a bug but I found out where each empire was in short order and as although I had not city name I knew the location of each city *shrugs*

Everyone one of them has a fantastic startng location but us... git.

Originally posted by Boli
You do know where the other civs are... watch the barbarians progress across the map, they reveal cities for you. I don't know how or even if it is a bug but I found out where each empire was in short order and as although I had not city name I knew the location of each city *shrugs*

Everyone one of them has a fantastic startng location but us... git.
I saw this as well. I would guess it has something to do with the way the map was revealed...Oh well, everybody probably sees it (or they know about it now after reading this thread!! ;) ) so it shouldn't give an advantage to anyone.

Somehow I think those starting positions were not chosen by accident. And I wouldn't be surprised if the specific civs we are facing might have been on purpose as well. ( :mischief: <-- DoM?)

Ah - when we all got the map "revealed" it must have set the flag that says we have seen every tile once. Same thing as exchanging maps with another civ. Until another civ moves into a tile we are the "last civ visited" and see all Barb activity, as well as entries (but not exits) of other civs. If a tile turns irrigated, another civ has moved a settler in and founded a city.

No reflection on DoM, just a byproduct of the way he revealed the map. When a special situation like this is not tested before we'll find wierd exploits like this that were not anticipated. Remember how GOTM18 AI civs could not shift out of Despotism? Always nice to have something to help out the newer players. Anybody trying OCC?

I'll have to think about it. Maybe try a test game (start an emperor level, cheat/reveal map, move to the island) & run to see if I can bloodlust at all. I'm not the early conqueror, so that will be a challenge.

But having an early sense of location may offset the other difficulties...

Top Bottom