TSG17 After Action Report

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Hi everyone and welcome to the TSG17 After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

Please use the Civ5 game submission page to submit your final, first play through, .Civ5Save file, saved AFTER the victory ceremony if you were not conquered (using the "Lemme play one more turn" feature.).

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay).

Would be interested to hear any thoughts on the setup of the map. :)

GG, could have been a pretty easy tech win as I had a good 3 tech lead on the top AI towards the end but rules are rules. I used my first nuke ever to take out the last enemy cap (songhai), that was fun haha, although I wish I had a chance to use the other 3 I was packin.. Oh and Songhai very generously took Rome just as all my units were crossing the ocean to go own that continent, very convenient :p

Oh and I have a bunch of saves sitting around if anyone wants to see where I was at a particular turn or any of the strategies I used.

That was... Intense!

Rome grew into an 800 pound gorilla and was throwing more infantry and artillery at me than I could handle when I tried to approach from conquered Songhai territories by land. I tried bombarding Rome from the ocean, but had all of my frigates torn to shreds by submarines! :( In the end I had to load a dozen fighters onto 4 aircraft carriers and bombard Rome from 12 tiles away. I floated all the crappy units that Almaty had given me across the channel, and one eventually made it through to take the battered city. :)

Never had a good industrial era fight like that before since the tech gap is usually pretty severe by late game. Was fun!

I'm really glad to see someone won this game... :goodjob:

Been worried that I would be boiled in oil. :eek:
(glad I'm safely behind my computer screen) :mischief:

Just want to explain a little bit about the map choice.

Initially, I created 12 maps using the random map script. I decided against a water map because the Keshik would be relatively useless. In testing, on all the maps with wide open plains, my survival rate was pretty poor because the AI know how weak you are and they come after you pretty quickly, and they have a lot of units.

On this map, we start the game relatively isolated with enough space to build three or four cities and have enough lux to keep the citizens fairly happy before you can trade for more to grow cities. The choke point works both for and against you as it allows you to keep Montie at bay while promoting units to eventually take him down.

I thought you would need several cities for unit production as the AI had a lot of units and could build them quite quickly. Also, with Keshiks movement, you could use rough terrain to limit the enemy movement while still being able to move yourself, at least most of the time.

Anyway, that was my thinking in choosing this map.

That's all true if you're sensible enough to wait for Keshiks before attacking Monte, but for those of us who like to push out early this was a bit of a rude awakening. ;-S

No need to justify though, we all volunteered for it, and it was a good challenge!

Thanks for taking the time to set these up for us. :)

You're welcome. :)

Some players may have taken the save and ran with it, tough way to go.

Glad you enjoyed it. :goodjob:

Game: Civ5 GOTM 17
Date submitted: 2011-08-06
Reference number: 24686
Your name: ferven
Game status: Domination Victory
Game date: 1490AD
Turns played: 209
Base score: 1475
Final score: 3597
Time played: 4:27:00
--------------------------------
I am not currently submiting my games but I am still playing all of them. I am sending this after reading those comments. Good map :goodjob:
Maybe the problem is that this kind of games takes a lot of time, especially if one needs to deal with mounted units with a lot of movements per turn. But the map is rather easy with just one civ. close, although this means less early promotions:(. But under t200 victories would be very easy for some players, don't worry.

I Built only two cities for a fast N.C. and filled the liberty tree to get a GS as soon as possible for Chivalry (Monaco really helped). I got an army of 5 keshik at turn 86. With the P. Tower I got Astronomy by turn 121, but Moscow with the Great Wall was very hard to capture (turn 162) and I couldn't split the army for a faster victory. The last civ. to conquer was Askia (turn 209). Highly promoted Keshiks with the help of two riflemen was enough.

Date submitted: 2011-08-08
Reference number: 24698
Your name: Maxym
Game date: 1814AD
Turns played: 277
Base score: 1987
Final score: 3612
Time played: 29:47:00
Submitted save: Genghis Khan_0277 AD-1814.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Maxym_C501701.Civ5Save

What a game, it was a close one for a while. And entertaining almost till the end. Also prolly the only domination game i will play that i did not declare on anyone in the entire game. I have been repeatedly backstabbed to everyones delight, last one by Cathy, Alex and Askia at once while i was still fighting others, lol. SO i never took their peace offers and just took them out one by one. All those lost RAs :mad:

Taking down Askia was a long painful slog, as just as i was about to land my invasion force he built Kremlin, which i was building to deny it to him and took out one of my 4 rifles. I decided not to risk all my super-keshiks and sailed south to Ragusa which fell quickly, then libarated Belgrade to protect my flank, but ended up protecting it. Then two more towns: Jenna and Timbouktou on the way to his cap. Over 50 turns of keshik swapping fun, hoping to not fall behind on science and get flattened by tanks or planes. In the end my few double tap tanks with 5 or 6 destroyers and 5 artillery and 3 infantry broke through. I still had few keshiks i kept to harass and b/c i could not bring myself to upgrade them.

If i build that Kremlin then maybe 30-40 turns earlier, and i wish i knew what a monster a double-tap, range extended, indirect keshik is. I would have prebuilt CHAs and promoted them more efficiently, also might have gone for 50% exp policy first. Lesson learned. It was my first immortal game and i must say i like it, especially not knowing if i will survive ;)

Nah, finally made it!

as mentioned in the "in progress" thread my start felt pretty slow-ish.

I continued taking Siam (took almost 20 turns, as Cathy & Monty's units were occupying MY battlefield. After that I took on Alex and Cathy.

In the meanwhile I had 7 keshiks/1HM/2LSM/1Khan sailing west that started capturing Rome 1st, then Oda and Harun. When I took on Harun he had over 3000 in cash, and was no 1 in Army, but around turn 155 I got Rifling so that made the difference.:goodjob:

It was Cathy that took me longest, here Capital behind the waterlines was difficult to grab for my 5 Keshiks/1HM/1Rifle, although she had only pikes and knights. I had to take her Northern city 1st to have a better approach.

As written already , the fact that I w/o thinking GE'd the PT and not ND, must have cost me 10-15 turns at least as I was always below -10 happiness. What a stupid mistake!!!!!!:hammer2:

Oh, and one Keshik on the way west promoted himself to Cavalry on a ruin. I was surprised to see this as I was the Tech leader and no one else was in the right age by that time, except me. Is this a bug????

BTW, I only signed 1 RA. Looking back I could have had Chivalry ~turn 85, but I had hardly horse/chariiots up at that time. Therefore I chose to research vertically, to get the most out of my RA. I finally used the RA to pop most of Chivalry. I still think this was the best choice for my game, but with 2 Keshiks and 1 Horse I would have been able to take on Monty 10 turns earlier.

All in all my feeling is that I could have finished around 150 turns, so in hindsight not so good play from my side...

Oh, and one Keshik on the way west promoted himself to Cavalry on a ruin. I was surprised to see this as I was the Tech leader and no one else was in the right age by that time, except me. Is this a bug????

I think the unit gets upgraded to whatever is the next step in it's upgrade path (Horseman/CA->Keshik->Cavalry), no matter the techs researched.

A warrior who wanders into a ruin and get upgraded on turn 1 will become a spearman though. If he gets another upgrade in the next ruin I imagine he's a pikeman...

This image is pretty good: http://i.stack.imgur.com/d1rX7.png

Date submitted: 2011-08-10
Reference number: 24710
Your name: Attaturk
Game date: 1460AD
Turns played: 206
Base score: 1254
Final score: 3058
Time played: 4:13:00
Submitted save: Genghis Khan_0206 AD-1460win.Civ5Save
----------------------------------------------------------------

Settle in place

Great Library Gamble Payed off

Pot->Wri->(start Great Library)->AH->Trap->(Bulb CS)->Beeline-Chiv->Beeling Astro
Beeling->Metallurgy (Lancer)->Beeline Military Tradition (Upgraded Horse to Cavalry)

Scout-Scout-Granary-Great Library-Monument-NC-Settler

Second city few tiles west on the lux, reaching 6 horses

Saving money for keshiks.

Attack Monte around turn 100 with 4 keshiks 1 horse, with another horse building to be upgraded to Keshik

Social Policies: Tradition-Faster Wonders, Honor (full), Patronage

War Path: Monte->Siam->Alex->Russia->Rome->Askia

I was lazy and did not launch a second fighting force to go and fight askia and Rome while the first army clears up my continent. Otherwise, you could easily beat this under 200.

Wonders: GL, NC, Sophi (Eng), PT (using Engineer from Sophi), Oxford, Notre Dame

When I swam to Askia I added One extra Keshik and a Lancer.
Final fighting force:

5 highly promoted Keshik
1 keshik Rookie
1 Lancer
1 Cavalry (from Horseman)
1 great general

Date submitted: 2011-08-13
Reference number: 24723
Your name: Stormreaver
Game date: 1830AD
Turns played: 285
Base score: 2005
Final score: 3517
Time played: 17:41:00
---------------------------------------
Was fun. First win on Immortal, nonetheless.

Keshiks were used to conquer my own continent, never wiped anyone out but targeted the capitals and keeping a few nice/strategic cities in between. Greece was the last to fall there, and by then Keshiks were getting pretty obsolete but just enough to get Athens. The other continent I left for too long, and had to get Artillery, Cavalry and a decent navy to get through as Caesar had STR60 cities with artillery in backup. Kicked Seouls ass to establish a beachhead, where the +30% CS bonus came in handy to negate some of the Amphibious penalties.

Also, really long game, with all the warfare. Several wars dragged on for way too long, and a few stupid mistakes (always puppet cities you plan on keeping!!!) cost me lots of extra turns where I was handcuffed by happiness problems.

Well, following on from my in-progress posts...after taking out Monty's cap fairly late compared to most here (the only civ I actually used Keshiks as my main invaders for), and the successful naval invasion of Moscow, and then march to and capture of Athens, I turned my attention to the other continent. As soon as I was able to upgrade to infantry (bulbed the tech), my troops set sail for the other continent. We landed and took Rome without losing a unit. After some turns and a GS/Oxford combo, most of these troops (now mech infantry) reembarked to sail around to attack Gao (Oda was already wiped out by Songhai).

In the meantime, a newly built army was massed to invade Siam, via the coast to the SW of his capital, squeezing between his 2nd or 3rd city and the mountains there. This was much easier than expected; I think I only lost an artillery at sea, as I had to re-declare war on Greece just to pass through his sea lanes to get all my units into place to invade en-masse.

So I took Sukhotai on the same turn my units had landed against Gao on the other continent.

This is where it all went to hell. Siam's cap was size 34; so as a puppet it added 17 unhappiness, which took me well into the red (-33% combat penalty, etc). Oh and somewhere along the way Russia, who'd been building units galore (they hadn't used many against Greece; I'd gotten Siam and Russia to declare on Greece to try to whittle down their armies, but Greece was already too weak to do much)...Russia retook Moscow, which only had a mech inf and an artillery as token defense.

With the combat penalty, and Songhai also having built Himeji, the Great Wall, and the Kremlin, my mech inf were taken out by cavs and infantry. A few units retreated back to sea.

To really top it off, Russia came looking for peace not long after re-taking Moscow. Somehow (it was late, I should've been in bed, thinking was not clear) I imagined I'd solve my happiness problems by gifting Russia Athens (they were offering even peace). I'd completely forgotten I'd recently annexed Athens and bought a courthouse there. It also had Chichen Itza and the Taj too. So instead of improving things, this disastrous idea meant my happiness went from bad (about -14?) to much worse, -23.

I couldn't believe I'd screwed that up so royally. The initial happiness issues on taking Sukhotai were difficult, but would've been solvable. This was too much. Oh, and by this time no one would give me open borders, so my army at Siam was almost completely boxed in; it could only exit to the northeast, through a city state, which meant using it again on Moscow would've been a very long path. Before I shut down I'd decided, well , I'll just have to retake Athens, and had marched that army toward the outlet....

I doubt I'll load it up again though. My infrastructure is seriously compromised (only one or two public schools, one factory) from building units for so long. I've only come close to rivalling Askia's army at my peak military, and he's got nearly double production, nearly the entire other continent. Rome was holding him off before I arrived. Russia, and possibly Siam, might still give me trouble. And the happiness issues are quite a knot to unravel.

It was a fun game, though I took much too slow an approach. I built five cities to start. Although I think this was what allowed me to have a tech lead for most of the game.

Before hitting the happiness wall, it seemed like the game was in the bag, and even Gao would fall to mech inf and artillery pretty easily. Funny to see such a big reversal. It might be a salvageable situation...then again, it might not. Ah well. Next!

oh and please someone confirm for me that you can't buy a courthouse until the conquest disorder is finished--17 turns!

Onan wrote:
oh and please someone confirm for me that you can't buy a courthouse until the conquest disorder is finished--17 turns!

Yep, I can confirm that!

Base score: 1646 Final score: 3227 Time played: 35:23:00

I didn’t think I would have time to finish this but managed to squeeze in some spare time today to complete before a busy weekend! This allowed me to complete my best ever CiV victory so very pleased. Keshiks ......... what more is there to say!!? No way I would have won this with any other leader, they are astonishingly good, if very time-consuming to move about the map safely (especially for laggards like me). After Aztec and Siam, I moved on Russia. After taking Moscow, I sailed my First (highly-promoted) army to the other continent and landed on an allied CS (Seoul originally IIRC, but changed to Katmandhu after mid-game patch causing some confusion). I DOW on Rome (who had Great Wall and was at war with Askia), taking Ravenna as a port, then made peace with OB and set about Askia (who was military leader). I pushed him back to the edge of his capital, but this was in a very awkward spot, so I made a temporary peace, turned back on Caesar and captured Rome. Having Great Wall made my Keshiks more secure from Mandekelu etc and I finished off Askia with infantry. I built a second army to face Greece and battled my way through wooded terrain to take Athens and complete the victory using artillery and infantry (and some Keshik support!). I never met Japan, who had been conquered by Rome and Songhai before contact.
For SP, I completed Liberty, the top LHS of Piety and RHS of Honour (mainly for happiness), and started Autocracy at the very end. Very unusually for me, I didn’t sign a single RA (seemed a poor deal without PT or Rationalism) but managed to keep up in Tech with GS and large population. I also managed to keep 4 strategically-useful CS out of Greece’s grip, which helped greatly with warfare. I didn’t scout the coastal bridge to Russia until very late (Sailing was not a high priority) which probably held me back a bit. As this was my first Immortal game, I also used what some consider “ungentlemanly conduct” by selling luxuries / making war bribes before DOW:- personally I think the Great Khan would approve. I also annexed capitals after conquest and rushed courthouses, which ensured happiness was never a serious problem. I didn’t have any major issues with the patch, but I continue to get stability problems immediately after large Windows updates (I had to replay half a turn mid-game, during a rare period of peace, after a freezeframe:- I don’t think it had any influence on the outcome but will leave you to decide).
PS:- the "time played" is a bit misleading as I leave the game in background when doing other things.

Well, this was a standard pangea keshik konquest.

For the non-pangea part, here are some tricks I used:
- Hagai Sofia scientist bulbs astronomy.
- Fleet of captured workers explores the sea.
- Capture the smallest city as a beachhead, so there are less turns of resistance until I can annex and purchase more keshiks. (I actually sent over a settler to start purchasing faster, but all the city sites were taken.)
- Gift the smaller Russian city I captured to Askia, then sell him Moscow for 100gpt because it is a capital adjacent to his territory.

The morale of these stories is : Faster you reach the perfect kind of unit to kill everyone, less resistance you will face(assuming that you bring enough troops, but less than if you had to wait), more faster you will finish. That said, my strategy wasn't good enough to break 150 turns.

@DaveMcW : Moscow close to Askia's territory? hmm? If i remember(a month ago) Askia is on another continent.

Top Bottom