Immortal University 59 - Mehmed II

Habitus

Emperor
Greetings, Immortals and would-be Immortals (and indeed any other players of any level), and welcome to the Immortal University.

Here is our Leader:

Here's the opening scene:

This is the first start I rolled with the following settings

In terms of updates, well nobody follows that anyway. Post in the manner you feel comfortable. Typical comparison dates are 1 AD, liberalism, and victory/defeat, as well as any major events. If in doubt, go with that.

I will probably do a WB save later for those who want different settings :)

Attachments

• IU 59 Mehmed II BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    20.5 KB · Views: 187
First IU in awhile, been busy so kept forgetting to post one. I'll post a Unrestricted tomorrow as well i think :)

Might give this a try later. If I can stay awake that long.

oh my... right now shadowed ind leader with marble in BFC on Monarch... maybe later this week if there will be time...

will tag along though Mehmed is my favorite leader (didn't we do him recently?)

oh my... right now shadowed ind leader with marble in BFC on Monarch... maybe later this week if there will be time...

will tag along though Mehmed is my favorite leader (didn't we do him recently?)

Possible, i only did a really quick check on what leaders IU has recently, if he was it was pre-May :)

Inland sea? :(
I might give it a try but I really hate these flat maps...

I actually like these inland sea maps quite a bit, especially in AW games.

I like Inland Sea a lot. I also like Mehmed a lot. I will be attempting to move up to Immortal with this map. I'm still a bit shaky on Emperor, so this will be an adventure :) I'll even try to get over my laziness and include some screenshots.

*must remember not to search for huts
*must remember that it's normal speed!

If I haven't played normal for a while I forget and build too much stuff while marveling at how quick the build time is.

I actually like these inland sea maps quite a bit, especially in AW games.

Agreed, forgot about this script when listing ones I thought balanced. Inland sea usually won't feed a lot of freebie land unless it's set to have a world wrap.

I (sort of) lose but (sort of) don't.

I don't particularly care to write detailed updates of trash games. Suffice to say, 2 AIs went culture. The entire game, one appeared on the VC screen because it had the most culture. This kept the same right up until 3 turns before the other one won the game, despite one being at 40k and the other going legendary on 3rd city. Both were my vassals, and given I had #1 land, pop, and tech, it wasn't a stretch to win space while perma-revolting 2 civs instead of one. However, with 2 turns to react I lost. Too frustrated to bother to reload and "win" by out-cheating the game, I just called it.

It should display the AI actually closest to winning, you know, the one that HAS A THIRD CITY WITHIN TEN TURNS OF WINNING? The other guy wasn't.

In more fun news, I rolled this game very hard using the attached GG nonsense they're talking about over in the deity AW thread. Very fun times, so pathetic to watch the AI throw away 20-30 units on 3 guys. By the end of this map I had a drill IV CG III combat VI infantry (obviously he had leadership too). Before fortification or hill bonuses, such a unit defends at 20 + 20(1.5) = 50 strength with 3-5 first strikes! Rifle era stuff is absolutely terrible against such a unit, but I doubt infantry or even tanks would fare a whole lot better.

Which is why I should have gone for domination except lazy space; it's not like I didn't have infantry at 1600 AD despite constant warfare to farm xp. That's what I get for trusting the UI; I get to throw away a game and not even realize it's happening. :goodjob::goodjob::goodjob::goodjob::goodjob::goodjob::goodjob::goodjob::goodjob::goodjob: Firaxis, every time I think I'm aware of all the possible ways this game takes it to a player up the doop shoot, they prove to me that their incompetence is just a little bit stronger than I had believed previously...

Yeah the only way to spot it is checking the city/wonder screen, i rarely do it except on some some hof culture games. Since cities are listed in order of culture totals, if i see another civ with 3 cities above the 3rd city of AI listed in victories screen i know its likely i have 2 AI to beat. Since it doesn't show totals, cpt, or turns to legendary you still don't know how long you have thou.

That's one annoying loss TMIT :( Super GG units are a laugh for sure.

I've never played Mehmed before. I just looked up his UB & UU, they seem pretty great to me, is that a commonly held view?

Often people (well, me anyway) just skip musketmen but is it worth vaguely bee-lining them since they trounce all earlier units? It's just a shame they can't get CR promotions.

Inland_Sea is great!

Lots of rivers so crashing economies is harder.
Lots of room for everyone usually.
Barbs tend to bug everybody as much.

No GLH shenanigans though.

I've never played Mehmed before. I just looked up his UB & UU, they seem pretty great to me, is that a commonly held view?

Often people (well, me anyway) just skip musketmen but is it worth vaguely bee-lining them since they trounce all earlier units? It's just a shame they can't get CR promotions.

In practice, 25% just isn't enough against longbows. They help mildly against knights but unless you're on mara or something the window just isn't that great; opposing muskets handle them easily enough and while they get a bonus vs longbows they don't overcome defensive bonuses sufficiently w/o spy or siege help, at which point they're OK but you're probably better served going up to rifling and taking less losses.

UB is pretty solid.

And yes, inland sea is a balanced script. I saw no AI that ran away w/o earning it. Annoyingly I just threw away a game because I didn't think to go into a screen that's uncommon to visit to ensure that someone else wasn't pulling culture. I guess I should just kill everyone ASAP, that solves most headaches.

Jans are a decent unit, not great...but it's tough to utilize them effectively on immortal - on lower levels when they're up against longbows, maces, and perhaps knights, their bonuses are nice, but on immortal, I find it's tough to get enough of them to mount a campaign before the AI has muskets.

Probably better to beeline as Zara than mehmed.

EDIT: Overall though, Mehmed is still a pretty strong leader - he's pretty well suited for heavy expansion with ORG, and vertical growth with EXP and hammams. For some reason I never seem to see the AI do well with him, but he's great in the hands of the human.

Mehmed is still a pretty strong leader

I'd say Mehmed is a very strong leader for the human - one of the best. Great trait combo and one of the best UBs. IMO - other than a couple of the early UUs - UUs in general are pretty much a non-factor for most games. They add flavor sure, but I don't view them as game-breaking, except for quechas and possibly war chariots. And let's not forget that his traits provide bonuses on several important buildings.

guys please... mehmed is one of my top leaders... he is actually my breakthrough leader.

Exp cheap grans, workers
Org cheap CH's, civics

Hammam - +2 happy and health

and do you realize that Janis are on the path to cannons? you can start muskets+cannons warfare and not to wait for rifles giving you even more time.
Last time I checked Lib->Steel was one of popular beelines (together with Lib->MT)

And they're draftable too of course.
if you're not lazy (like me) you build some pikes in the mix and are set to go.

Org is the most overrated trait imo, we all usually play with trading on and there are so many other ways to make some money.
If i compare it to let's say PHI, a single great merchant prolly makes up for all the money that ORG saves lol ~~

Top Bottom