Ragnar's Revenge!

mbkkbm

Silly American
Yes! I have decided to add to the wayyy too many Viking RFC stories on this forum.

Once upon a time, in a small northern tribe, there was a man named Ragnar. He looked at the lush and fertile lands surrounding his lands, and promised to build massive structures to honor the gods. His tribe then had its annual migration to the NE onto a tundra hill.
Spoiler :

He had finally reached it. The spot where the new empire would arise. He and a small band of followers finally built small towns around the hill. The hill was called “Nidaros hill”, for that was where Nidaros, the father of all gods, died to give life to his people. Suddenly, over the hills, he saw a group of people coming from the east. It was his people, which he left to found Nidaros. But there were more of them. About three hundred more. They went up to him and said “Ragnar, we wish to follow your ways. Farming is better than hunting. The moose come and go, but the farm is forever.” He then sent them out to form their own towns. Both the parties headed to a spot out of the rocky mountain ranges they had called home.

Ragnar was happy today. Today, he was to be finally crowned king. He would be the King of all the Viking People, from the capital at Nidaros to the various cities to be founded.
Spoiler :

The colonists, whom the founders of the new cities had decided to call themselves, had grown in number. They went through another small tribe who, after hearing King Ragnar I’s plan, joined them. They split off, with one group founding the city of Umea to the east of Nidaros. Another city was settled to the south of Nidaros, called Stockholm. A third city was settled to the west of Stockholm, which was called Oslo.
Spoiler :

A raiding party of Viking warriors with axes had landed. It was a small stretch of land shooting off of what was probably a main continent. The Axeman decided to call this fair land Denmark, for the wife of the 60 year old Viking king, King Ragnar II.
Spoiler :

The new Viking King Olaf I was an odd king. He was more devoted to a new religion than anything else. This religion, which had spread right into Nidaros, was called “Christianity”. It focused on one main god, called God, who was the ruler of all things. Though this new religion spread throughout the newly formed Viking Empire, the old beliefs in polytheism believed.
Spoiler :

The now-50 year old King Olaf was elated. He just received news that he would be elected Apostolic Palace King. The upstart king of the Vikings, only Christian for 30 years, would be the spiritual ruler of all Christendom.
Spoiler :

King Olaf’s son was definitely more of an original Viking than his father. Even his given name, King Ragnar III, showed he was influenced more by his warlike grandfather and great-grandfathers than his “weak” father. He looked for an opportunity to expand the Viking Empire. To the west, even farther than Oslo and Denmark, a new Kingdom called “England” was forming. This upstart kingdom could threaten the Viking Empire’s security. England would have to fall. Using the new technologies gained in the years of peace, King Ragnar III’s armies were sent on a galley to England.
Spoiler :

“We’re here! Welcome men and berserkers to the ugly and pillagable land of England!” The roar that followed this announcement could only be described as other-worldly. The men stormed the beaches, and after defeating the token English resistance, occupied a small area outside the main city of what they called “London”. They would remain there for 80 years, being constantly resupplied with new troops.

“Charge!!!” The call rang out among the troops. The berserkers lead the way. Suddenly, arrows shot out. The English longbowmen shot and killed many. The several who got to the lines killed many, but were eventually overwhelmed, leaving none behind. King Ragnar III died that day, bravely leading the charge. His son, King Olaf II, promised vengeance on the English. The English would be wiped out, and all would be taken into the Viking Empire.
Spoiler :

50 years had passed since the first great Viking Invasion. King Olaf II would finally have his vengeance. He stormed the city, and, within, a year, the city of London was taken and was allowed to be a city in the Powerful Viking Empire.
Spoiler :

Even 20 years after the invasion, a rumor spread throughout the Vikings. That a writer named Herodotus had called the fourth most cultured empire in the world. He was brought before the 60 year old King Olaf II, and, though some people wanted to kill him because the Vikings were more cultured than that, and some others wanted to kill him for calling the Vikings “cultured” and not “bloodthirsty”, all agreed he must be killed. Herodotus was killed by the Prince-Elect Thorsson I, by shoving an axe down his throat.
Spoiler :

The rather ruthless and bloodthirsty now-King Thorsson I finally moved north. The English still had a city in what they called Scotland. Their city of Inverness was taken, and the devilish English who had repulsed the first invasion were finally wiped out.
Spoiler :

King Thorsson I was an old man. He only had one thing that he had to do. A small people, to the south, refused to vote for him in the Apostolic Palace. This was now looked on as a Viking Kings Hereditary Property. It was clear, though King Thorsson I was old, he still had the warlike spirit. His son, Prince-Elect Erik I would lead the attack.
“Charge!” The call rang out from King Erik I, pale and thin, from his tent. The armies charged. Very few managed to get to the Spanish lines. The few who did were slaughtered by the Spanish infantry. The King Erik I’s reign lasted just two years. In the power struggle that ensured, his brother Prince Ragnar IV was crowned king. He promised to revenge the death of his brother. But not now.
Spoiler :

The 60 year old king had to look for other places to expand. Looking west of what was once called England, he saw a small island. This island had its own government, and considered itself independent. This was an insult to the glorious Viking Empire. It was taken with few casualties, with King Ragnar IV landing the troops into the city himself. The city was allowed to survive as a city in the glorious Viking Empire.
Spoiler :

King Ragnar IV’s successor, King Erik II, was much less interested in the war against Spain. King Erik II was much more interested in expansion than with revenge. The Spanish gave him 20 gold pieces for the Vikings to leave. He already had a plan for an attack south, into what was now called France.
Spoiler :

King Erik II’s plan was initiated in 1290. Within ten years, he launched a full-scale invasion and quickly took the city of Paris, the capital of France. Plans began to rule this entire large continent, and expand the Viking Empire to its proper limits.
Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Excellent.
Poor Frenchies, they lost their cap :(

Do you plan on taking the Netherlands?

They're always a tough nut to crack, but once you kill them (and the Russians) there is really no one else who can compete with you militarily.

It seems that the Viking Terror has been unleased upon the other nations of Europe. :goodjob:

Shoving an axe down someone's throat sure is a pretty graphic and painful-sounding method of killing them. ;)

Nice work in capturing Paris, as it is a non-coastal City and is thus a bit harder to attack by surprise.

It seems that the Viking Terror has been unleased upon the other nations of Europe. :goodjob:

Shoving an axe down someone's throat sure is a pretty graphic and painful-sounding method of killing them. ;)

Nice work in capturing Paris, as it is a non-coastal City and is thus a bit harder to attack by surprise.

why thank you. I really shouldn't watch history channel while writing. And I am planning on either taking or vassalizing the Netherlands. Hopefully I'll be able to get rifles to shoot their crossbows and pikes, then send in the Cuirassers/Beserkers

Pretty good! :goodjob:

From your plans so far it looks like the last country you are going to attack that is in Europe is Russia. Am I correct or have you not thought that far ahead yet?

Sticking an axe down his throat. Ouch...

Now take istanbul!

The good thing about 'waaay too many Viking stories' is that my name is in most of them :p

Great start! :goodjob:

Great upadate.

Once you have america and france you can get the french fry resource! :D +5 Happiness, -5 Health, +5 Obesity! Can't wait to see the awesome battle with russia!

this thread, nothing but Russian and Viking stories....

subbed irregardless

at least you took france, like how they (sorta) did in RL

Yep. I took all of Western Europe. Hehehe.....but what now. Shall I go after Russia or Germany? Inca or Mali? Or Spain, my old enemy?

The oldest of all your enemies :mwaha:

Top Bottom