This aqueduct didn't save my food.

Lord Chambers

Emperor
My capital Kyoto has an Aqueduct and is set to grow in the next turn.

When the next turn occurs a new person lives in Kyoto, but the food box reverts to empty.

Why? Is it because I'm at -4 happiness? Is it because the Aqueduct completed on the turn of the save? Is there something else I'm missing?

Attachments

• Oda Nobunaga_0132 AD-0425.Civ5Save
    712.1 KB · Views: 63
I haven't really paid attention to it, but I assume aqueducts in Civ5 work like granaries in Civ4 and only start to store food once they are completed.

Is it because the Aqueduct completed on the turn of the save?
That's probably the reason. It should store 40% the next time your city grows.

Is it just a visual thing with the food box? There have been some bugs about that. Check the mouseover next turn, does it also indicate zero food stored? Sorry, can't acess the save at the moment.

I always thought as long as it finished 1 turn before the growth you should be fine.

:c5food: Growth occurs BEFORE :c5production: Production at the end of a turn. That means that the bucket will fill, the city will grow, and then the aqueduct will be built. No storage for you :(

This can be used to your advantage, however. Locking a city's tiles and then choosing to focus on production will mean the next citizen will look to work a high production tile, meaning it won't be wasted (if it'd only gather food, nothing'd happen.)

Thusly, this is the order of stuff happening in a city (counter begins with capital):
- food is added
- growth/shrink, if possible
- new citizen works a tile
- production/gold/science/culture (not entirely sure about order)

:c5food: Growth occurs BEFORE :c5production: Production at the end of a turn. That means that the bucket will fill, the city will grow, and then the aqueduct will be built. No storage for you :(

This can be used to your advantage, however. Locking a city's tiles and then choosing to focus on production will mean the next citizen will look to work a high production tile, meaning it won't be wasted (if it'd only gather food, nothing'd happen.)

Thusly, this is the order of stuff happening in a city (counter begins with capital):
- food is added
- growth/shrink, if possible
- new citizen works a tile
- production/gold/science/culture (not entirely sure about order)

This is correct. I thought from his wording, that the aquaduct had completed 1 turn prior to the growth.

Thank you for explaining this.

So when the game says "Aqueduct Finished" and prompts me to change production, really it's just planning to finish the Aqueduct later and is prompting me to decide where to put the overflow? It's displeasing to see an Aqueduct on my city's building list that won't exist until the start of the next turn.

I suppose if you "finish" a barracks and on that same turn you purchase a unit, it will not have the experience bonus because the barracks isn't really there yet. Is that true?

Huh what are you talking about? If you buy or done building a Barrack then the unit you train next turn (in case of building Barrack) or buy this turn (in case of buying Barrack) will get experience.

Huh what are you talking about?
I can't think of any additional information to add. Here is my understanding.

Aqueduct case:
On turn X the following is true:
--1. An aqueduct is 1 turn from completion.
--2. The food box is 2 turns from filling completely.
On turn X+1:
--1a. The interface prompts me to "Choose Production" as the aqueduct is finished building.
--1b. Aqueduct appears on city's building list.
--2. The city's food box is 1 turn from filling completely.
On turn X+2 the following occurs:
--1. A new citizen appears.
--2. The food box is empty for reasons easyseeker explained, specifically that production occurs after growth, and so the aqueduct isn't actually yet built despite appearing on the city's building list.

If this is accurate then I'm postulating the player could get screwed by the interface in the case of completing a barracks and buying a unit the same turn. It would look like the following
On the hypothetical turn x:
--1a. Barracks appears on the city's building list.
--1b. New production is chosen.
--2. A unit is purchased.
On hypothetical turn x+1:
--1. City is one turn deep into it's new production.
--2. Unit becomes mobile but lacks any barracks experience.

In the aqueduct issue mentioned in my original post is NOT that the aqueduct has one turn to complete and the food box has one turn to complete. The aqueduct "finishes" the turn before the food box becomes complete. I think this was clear to easyseeker and others, but I want to make sure since the answer seems especially screwed up.

Attached is turn X. Select an aqueduct to build and hit Next Turn. Next turn it will be finished, there will still be one turn until the population growth, and you will have the X+1 turn I attached to the original post.

Attachments

• Oda Nobunaga_0131 AD-0400.Civ5Save
    711.2 KB · Views: 46
That is not true. Building a barracks and purchasing a unit at the same turn WILL grant you XP.

What, however, I was reffering to is the fact that when BOTH the aqueduct and the growth are 1 turn away from finishing, then the growth will occur BEFORE the aqueduct is built -> therefore, no storage for you.

Also in BtS it was so, that a granary would store food. That meant, that if a granary was built one turn before growing, the population would go one up with the food bar being empty.

After that the granary would store food in such a way, that after the next pop increase the food bar would remain half full. The granary would store the food that the city has accumulated up to a certain point. It did not magically store food if it was not there when the food was accumulated.

I would assume the aquaduct does just that, storing accumulated food. That would mean that you get no 40% food stored if you complete the aquaduct one turn before growing.

Top Bottom