Advertisement
Civilization Fanatics' Center  

Go Back   Civilization Fanatics' Forums > CIVILIZATION V > Civ5 - General Discussions

Old Aug 08, 2011, 08:26 PM   #121
Scaramanga
King

Turtle ship looks to be a Renaissance ironclad, as I had envisioned it. Koreans will have to do their exploring without help from regular caravels but history suggests that wasn't their strong suit anyways. If they do end up on a landmass all by themselves they'll still should be able to keep up technologically without research agreements due to their UA, which is usually the concern with isolated starts.

Since turtle ships apply the role of an advanced unit within an earlier unit slot, I would have thought they would have done the same with the hwacha and given it rocket artillery bonuses like not needing set up to fire. This was historically accurate as far as the usual internet sources tell me but of course that would blow the lid off the conquest aspect of the game.
Old Aug 08, 2011, 08:39 PM   #122
Dokebi
Chieftain

Monday is almost over...Now, Tuesday and Wednesday left to go! Wonder what time on Thursday it will come out.
Dokebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 08, 2011, 08:46 PM   #123
fat_tonle
Prince

**** man three wonders in the vanilla game and no new techs or units or structures??? At least they are offering it in the bundle pack, so I might cave in. When are they gonna fix the CA? I am hitting medieval era in the BC's every game. The patch better be as good as the last, otherwise don't patch at all.
fat_tonle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 08, 2011, 08:49 PM   #124
Louis XXIV
Le Roi Soleil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brichals View Post
Not sure on the wonders but Sejong has the best artwork yet I think and the scenario looks epic. Korea will have ridiculous science with settled scientists and Freedom finished if I heard right.
I agree about Sejong. How do you think Korea compares with Babylon, btw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandus View Post
Love it how the right UA and UU's were guessed on this forum. (either as educated guesses or as wishful thinking )
Educated guess. They were the most logical choices if they went with 2 UUs and, since they had two decently known units, I figured they would. But I still like thinking Firaxis is copying me

BTW, the Turtle not going in oceans isn't a huge deal, just use an embarked land unit. Barbs can't enter oceans anyway. I'll also probably buy the Wonders, but I hope the art is really good. Since I'll buy them bundled, the price won't be too bad. But you are paying for lower production value than you are with a leader, audio, music, etc.
Old Aug 08, 2011, 09:19 PM   #126
Lose
King

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat_tonle View Post
**** man three wonders in the vanilla game and no new techs or units or structures??? At least they are offering it in the bundle pack, so I might cave in. When are they gonna fix the CA? I am hitting medieval era in the BC's every game. The patch better be as good as the last, otherwise don't patch at all.
on 2K forums 2kGreg Mentioned about a patch prior to the DLC.
Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 08, 2011, 09:20 PM   #127
Civsassin
Immortal

I like the idea of reintroducing Korea, especially with a scientific flavor. I knew the wonders were going to be ancient era, but I am still hoping for a few more later era wonders. There are a lot of early era wonders. Wonder building gets slower later in the game.

It's also interesting that 2K Gregg mentioned another patch. I didn't expect them to release another patch so soon. Based on the discussions on previous patch releases, I suspect that this one is an AI update. I think they are comfortable with the game flow. The only thing I can think of is correcting obvious AI flaws.

Mark Twain
Civsassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 08, 2011, 09:20 PM   #128
Menzies
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aatami View Post
No Sumeria? This is just an outrage.
How can they do this? Sumeria is one of the most great ancient civilizations in the world and they dump it like this while including **** like "the American Empire"? An outrage!
Moderator Action: Nation bashing is considered trolling in this forum.
Wait, what?! [censored] like "the American Empire"? You have the leader of the "Iroquois Empire" as your avatar, I don't think you can talk about what is worthy to be in the game!

Although I'd love to see Sumeria in.

Good to see Korea in now!
Old Aug 08, 2011, 09:22 PM   #129
Lose
King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis XXIV View Post

BTW, the Turtle not going in oceans isn't a huge deal, just use an embarked land unit. Barbs can't enter oceans anyway.
You use embarked units to explore? Solution would be to just use a frigate, with the boost in technology it shouldnt be a lot of time to get frigates.
Old Aug 08, 2011, 09:26 PM   #130
RPG
King

Although I'm happy Korea & the 3 wonders will be available, I must say, I'm a bit disappointed there isn't more.

Nearly a year after the game's release I would have expected a bigger dlc pack, maybe one with a few more techs. The classical era has what, just 6 techs? Can we get some techs on a patch? Or a tech pack dlc bundle? LOL

How about some additional civs to go along with those ancient wonders?

Where's Portugal, the Zulu, Carthage, the Maya and so many others?

There's alot missing from the modern era too.

I will buy it. But I was hoping for so much more.
RPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 08, 2011, 09:32 PM   #131
Louis XXIV
Le Roi Soleil

^ Yeah, I'm not sure how I feel about the pace of releases. There are so many I still want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostz View Post
You use embarked units to explore? Solution would be to just use a frigate, with the boost in technology it shouldnt be a lot of time to get frigates.
But you can research a different tech instead. And, yes, I often use embarked units to explore. They can reach land and explore on land as well, so it's often advantageous.
Old Aug 08, 2011, 09:40 PM   #132
Morningcalm
Emperor

Yeah, I agree Turtle Ships should replace the Frigate. Currently they don't seem as amazing as they were in real life. They were ship destroyers of the highest degree for their time, and in the late 1600s too (which fits the Frigate).

I do recall people earlier suggesting it should replace the Caravel though (myself included, to my embarrassment), so maybe that's where Firaxis got the idea from.

Also, could someone post pictures of the new achievements? The pictures aren't displaying for me. In fact, only some pictures are displaying, like Riddle of the Sphinx and Flying Fortress. Anyone know how I can fix this?
“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”
-Albert Einstein

Currently Reading Steve Jobs by Walter Isaacson

Last edited by Morningcalm; Aug 08, 2011 at 10:03 PM.
Morningcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 08, 2011, 09:41 PM   #133
Menzies
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPG View Post
Although I'm happy Korea & the 3 wonders will be available, I must say, I'm a bit disappointed there isn't more.

Nearly a year after the game's release I would have expected a bigger dlc pack, maybe one with a few more techs. The classical era has what, just 6 techs? Can we get some techs on a patch? Or a tech pack dlc bundle? LOL

How about some additional civs to go along with those ancient wonders?

Where's Portugal, the Zulu, Carthage, the Maya and so many others?

There's alot missing from the modern era too.

I will buy it. But I was hoping for so much more.
For all we know they are working on an expansion with several civilizations in it. Might explain why mainstays like Zulu aren't already added. I'll certainly be up for a new expansion pack with an expansion of the classical era with Zulu, Maya, Sumeria and co all in it.
Old Aug 08, 2011, 09:47 PM   #134
TW_Honorius
Warlord

nothing worth getting excited about, I will wait 2 months for it to go on sale.
TW_Honorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 08, 2011, 09:50 PM   #135
Lose
King

Quote:
Originally Posted by TW_Honorius View Post
nothing worth getting excited about, I will wait 2 months for it to go on sale.
the idea of waiting 2 more months to save a few dollars... yeah im going to pay the 7.49
Old Aug 08, 2011, 09:55 PM   #136
JaeChunDaeSung
Warlord

For the Turtle Ship to be buildable in the Renaissance would be chronologically and technologically correct.

I'm definitely looking forward to the Imjin War scenario (Japanese invasion of Korea), considering it gives Korea the ability to call upon the Righteous Army (guerrilla/militia) in the event you're overwhelmed.

I too was leaning towards Tradition/Commerce/Rationalism/Freedom for a concentrated powerhouse of economic and technological superiority. Helps to be in RAs with people as well.
JaeChunDaeSung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 08, 2011, 09:57 PM   #137
fat_tonle
Prince

Only thing is the wonder pack will be on sale from the 5.00$ regular price meaning 2.50$... unless you are talking about the ultimate bundle pack WAY down the line where it includes everything. So yeah, they pretty much will be suckering us all in with this offer. They know we are going to buy the civs, so lets slap this and grab some more... can't blame them.
fat_tonle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 08, 2011, 10:07 PM   #138
Lose
King

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeChunDaeSung View Post
For the Turtle Ship to be buildable in the Renaissance would be chronologically and technologically correct.

I'm definitely looking forward to the Imjin War scenario (Japanese invasion of Korea), considering it gives Korea the ability to call upon the Righteous Army (guerrilla/militia) in the event you're overwhelmed.

I too was leaning towards Tradition/Commerce/Rationalism/Freedom for a concentrated powerhouse of economic and technological superiority. Helps to be in RAs with people as well.
Yeah I am definitely looking forward to the Imjin war as well, Ive been a history nut and this war was interesting. I was thinking Tradition/Liberty/Rationalism/Freedom/Commerce seems like a good combo for Korea.
Old Aug 08, 2011, 10:12 PM   #139
Lose
King

Just a curious thought, what do you think of a Korean War scenario?

Last edited by Lose; Aug 08, 2011 at 10:16 PM.
Old Aug 08, 2011, 10:15 PM   #140
civ7
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga View Post
Turtle ship looks to be a Renaissance ironclad, as I had envisioned it. Koreans will have to do their exploring without help from regular caravels but history suggests that wasn't their strong suit anyways
Koreans, and maybe other Asians, settled the Americas
civ7 is offline   Reply With Quote