AI Monty's success!

bcaiko

Emperor
Hey folks,

So I played a multiplayer game the other day with a buddy where the Montezuma AI (on his normal personality) was probably the most successful AI of the game. From the sound of it, this is a little rare for him so I thought I'd share.

The Civs in the game were:
*Japan (Me)
*Russia (my bud)
*Aztecs
*China
*Arabia
*Siam

Monty was on the northwest part a large continent with me in the south and China in the middle. When I saw Chinese scouts and Aztec Jaguars running around my city while I was dealing with Barbs, I silently cursed and prepped for a warrior rush. Surprisingly, it never came. China spammed cities that made it difficult for the Aztecs to reach me and the Aztecs instead built the Statue of Zeus from the Ancient Wonders DLC (smart!) and eventually attacked China in the Middle Ages. I followed on their heels and took a couple cities from China that I wanted and took their capital while I was at it.

I coexisted peacefully with my neighbors until the late Renaissance. Monty, rather than antagonizing either of us, started wonder spamming. His area was a cultural marvel, and his borders were huge. I, like a heathen, decided to mount an attack on him. And boy did he make it difficult! I couldn't go through Chinese territory because Wu wouldn't give me Open Borders after taking her capital. I had to take an (easy to pick off) coastal city to create a landing zone. But by the time I got to his capital, Monty's capital had a defense above 50! With a catipult (that was quickly upgraded into a cannon) stationed there. I had to wait to upgrade my Samurai into Rifleman.

While I was waiting, Monty did everything he could to wear down my stationed units. He kept attacking from Chinese territory, forcing me to DOW China in order to pick off his Crossbowmen. Then China started to attack my stationed troops. It was a good tactic. Even once I had Riflemen, I had to wait for them to heal because of Monty's constant attacks.

Once I finally got everything together, I took Monty's capital quickly. But, he held his own for a long time, and played very well up to that point. And his capital was a marvel. The borders were HUGE, with several Wonders and a large population. Acquiring it put me in the number one spot for every demographic.

I salute you, competent Montezuma AI!

Wow, I have seen it all.

IMO Aztec is the worst Civ in the game and it isn't particularly close.

Well done one-in-a-thousand-Monty :bowdown:

I know! I can't help but think the Ancient Wonders DLC modified him or something. I was so surprised that he knew to build the Statue of Zeus. And the fact that he held off of warrior rushing really surprised me.

I will treat the people in his former capital well in respect. :D

Wow, I have seen it all.

IMO Aztec is the worst Civ in the game and it isn't particularly close.

In multiplayer, Aztec is one of the best civs, if not the best (excluding DLC.) The floating gardens growth bonus is HUGE, espeicially combined with Tradition. Their huge cities mean they often out-tech everybody else unless somebody gets in the way. The AI can't play the Aztecs for squat (or any other civ.) 40% growth in the capital when done correctly, that excludes Hanging Gardens... getting 4 food/1 gold out of a lake tile in the ancient age is a really nice boost also.

The Jags upgrade forever, so you will see units from every age that heal 2 upon kill and move 2 through the woods... they can chomp a ranged or heavily wounded unit or a barb and still be 100% health. The culture-upon-kill means the Aztec player parks units outside the barb camps and racks up the culture.

My experience is based upon winning over 20 multi-player games with the Aztecs against humans...

In multiplayer, Aztec is one of the best civs, if not the best (excluding DLC.) The floating gardens growth bonus is HUGE, espeicially combined with Tradition. Their huge cities mean they often out-tech everybody else unless somebody gets in the way. The AI can't play the Aztecs for squat (or any other civ.) 40% growth in the capital when done correctly, that excludes Hanging Gardens... getting 4 food/1 gold out of a lake tile in the ancient age is a really nice boost also.

The Jags upgrade forever, so you will see units from every age that heal 2 upon kill and move 2 through the woods... they can chomp a ranged or heavily wounded unit or a barb and still be 100% health. The culture-upon-kill means the Aztec player parks units outside the barb camps and racks up the culture.

My experience is based upon winning over 20 multi-player games with the Aztecs against humans...

ANOTHER Aztec win today, beating France, Russia, Egypt, Gerrmany and another Aztec player... I didn't even get any wonders, until I took over the civs that had them. The other Aztec player was on a different continent, and he was lagging in last because he didn't know how to play them.

Most people who post on here have strong opinions without anything to back them up... it is not a character judgement this is just a game... every time I go on multiplayer people are telling me how great they are, what are the best civs, best tech paths etc, they will debate you on how to play the game... the final answer is who gets crushed and who doesn't...

There are a few people who post here that have raised my game to a higher level... part of the skill of improving is figuring out who knows what they are talking about...

Top Bottom