About the ancient / medieval units...

danrell

Warlord
I planned to make some ancient / medieval units, but I do not intend to redo the new, I think I can convert some civ4 units with civ5 animations because this will save a lot of time. Bakuel done a lot of perfect units in Civilization 4 :goodjob:, I intend to major use his units as the basis. But at this moment, I only completed a few work. Convert units is a batch work, not hard, the hard work is make the template, this will waste a lot of time for the test. I think one pack of country have archer, spearman, swordsman, horseman, chariot, longbowman, pikeman, longswordsman and knight, if someone already made the template please send me, thank you ;)

ps. sry my bad english

Attachments

• 132.jpg
    132.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 3,515
the longswordman template is made, but it still may need customized tweaks....i was working to convert tne civ4 knight to civ5 longsword right before the nexus viewer died on us....the longswwordsman template uses the civ4 templar as a base, so the legs and arms may still not look right.....

ps...with nexus viewer out, how are you testing the templates?.....i will soon upload the civ5 musketman tempate, along with some napoleonic era musketmen...what i did was substitute the gr2 and dds's in the resource (commun and dx9 files)***BACKUP FIRST*** and looked at the result using civilazation5 "Unit Viewer"

the longswordman template is made, but it still may need customized tweaks....i was working to convert tne civ4 knight to civ5 longsword right before the nexus viewer died on us....the longswwordsman template uses the civ4 templar as a base, so the legs and arms may still not look right.....

ps...with nexus viewer out, how are you testing the templates?.....i will soon upload the civ5 musketman tempate, along with some napoleonic era musketmen...what i did was substitute the gr2 and dds's in the resource (commun and dx9 files)***BACKUP FIRST*** and looked at the result using civilazation5 "Unit Viewer"

Yes, the asset viewer died when we update the SDK, we can't see the bone position anything...I think Firaxis did not want us to make units :mad:. You see civ4 have a lot of unit artists, In civ5 only you and me ??? I uploaded the old SDK to here Part1 & Part2, and I rename it to "sid meier's civilization v sdk1", put it in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common", not replace the original, because the old SDK can launch asset viewer, the new one can launch the game and game viewer, so you need rename the folder before you use it. (...sdk1=asset viewer,...sdk2=game viewer, remove the number when you choose which to use) .

Test the unit I creation one folder called "test" in "C:\Program Files........\resource\Common",
then I modify the civ5artdefines_unitmembers.xml, add the name eg.a4
<Granny>Assets/Units/Archer/Archer/a4.fxsxml</Granny>
and I put the .gr2 .dds and a4.fxsxml in the test folder, this will be very convenient :)

Thanks your template :goodjob:, do you have plans to do more?? I think we can work it together :D

Ancient units are desperately needed.

I know you'll make my Mesopotamian civilizations happy. :p

Good luck with the templates.

Ancient units are desperately needed.

I know you'll make my Mesopotamian civilizations happy. :p

Good luck with the templates.

I feel that people generally don't need units to Civ5??? :confused: Unlike civ4, maybe I don't need to make the units.
So I may not make this, I have not played this game a long time, I will try the WW2 mod, thanks :)

danrell,

There are many people interested in ancient era mods. You would make us all very happy if you do this. I only wish someone with your skills would translate the Civ4/Fall From Heaven units...

A lot of people need units, danrell. And I'm sure many modders are suffering setbacks due to not having access to units.

I think the biggest issue with Civ 5 unit graphics is that almost nobody knows how to do it successfully. :p

I feel that people generally don't need units to Civ5??? :confused: Unlike civ4, maybe I don't need to make the units.
So I may not make this, I have not played this game a long time, I will try the WW2 mod, thanks :)

Seriously? Everyone who's ever modded in a new civilization needs at least one, making new units would make you most modder's hero.

At the very least, the Mesopotamia and Forgotten Tribes mods need units... I'm assuming there's more than that.

Good work danrell! It seems, many modders are reluctant to start a project in Civ V only because there's no unit art available or almost none. It's great that you are changing that. Going by the quality of your WW II units, I'm much looking forward to how you do the ancient ones. Have a look into PAE's art folder, for it agglomerates ancient Civ IV unit art from all kind of sources, Bakuel's excellent stuff included, but also some rarer skins, that aren't in every mod.

I feel that people generally don't need units to Civ5???

I need any Ancient/Medieval/Fantasy units I can get for my planned fantasy mod (I think I'll start working on it seriously after the next big Civ5 patch). So if you can convert such units from Civ4, it would be really helpful.

I think this is more of a chicken and egg problem. As there are so few units, there are no / few mods using them.

......do you have plans to do more?? I think we can work it together :D

THANKS!!!! the old SDK will come in handy.....i havent had much time to mod....i will finish up the napoleonic musketmen and then try to work on a template.....

let me know (either here or PM if you wish) if you are working on one, so we dont do the same thing....

also, i don't know, if Deliverator finished/released any other template....:confused:

I felt terribly frustrated to have only one unit from the Aztec for all native american civ that I made.
So, your proposal to improve the units database of Ancient or Classic is really expected.
Of course if you have time.

I would absolutely LOVE to see more units in the game from earlier periods. I think one of the reasons you do not see more people doing it is because it is INCREDIBLY difficult to figure out how. The process requires having about 4-5 programs installed, all of specific versions, and other issues. I myself would love to help with unit graphics, but currently am at an impasse at getting any of it to work.

!!! Fantastic! Can't wait!

Top Bottom