The many questions-not-worth-their-own-thread question thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Question: Didn't you start the last iteration? I thought that was against the rules :p

Go look at the last post in the last thread and you shall find the answer that you seek.

Me and my girlfriend are moving into a new flat next month. She thinks that we should decorate the spare room/study first, because it doesn't matter so much if we screw that one up while figuring out what we're doing. My dad says that we should decorate that last, because it's the one we're going to care least about. Who do the good folks of CFF think is closer to the mark?

Me and my girlfriend are moving into a new flat next month. She thinks that we should decorate the spare room/study first, because it doesn't matter so much if we screw that one up while figuring out what we're doing. My dad says that we should decorate that last, because it's the one we're going to care least about. Who do the good folks of CFF think is closer to the mark?

Yeah, I'm not seeing your dad's reasoning. My gut reaction tells me your GF's plan makes the most sense. If it turns out good, bueno. If it turns out bad, who cares, you care the least about it.

There is no negative for starting in the study (or rather, it's the least possible negative). There is a negative if you start in another room you care more about.

Assuming you don't have a clue what you're doing, do the least used room and the bedroom first.

Go look at the last post in the last thread and you shall find the answer that you seek.

Yeah, I thought it defaulted to the person afterwords though since you started the last one.

Why do we close all threads at 1000 posts?

Tradition, archiving.
Spoiler :
Sorry, but the reference need to be made. ;)

Anyway, I've got a question: In Google Chrome, there is an "app" called "Super Mario Bros. Crossover". It is basically a Mario game that can be played on Chrome. My question is, how do I save my progress? I know it can be done, but I've forgotten how.

From old thread
Question: On June 6, 1982 there was a performance at a Rose Bowl (Pasadena, CA) called "Peace Sunday," some antinuke thing. Can somebody tell me more about this?

Another Question: Why do so many newspaper titles use fancy words like "Observer," "Inquirer," "Independent," "Globe," etc etc?

Why did the African megafauna survive the past 15,000 years when the American megafauna almost completely died out, when humans/ancestors lived in Africa from the start and had only just barely reached America?

Another Question: Why do so many newspaper titles use fancy words like "Observer," "Inquirer," "Independent," "Globe," etc etc?

Because the people who create the paper want to pick names that the readers will associate with other, better known newspapers that have an older history. To try to make their paper seem similar.

How can we be sure that user and customer reviews on products sold online are genuine? Newegg for example, what keeps companies from paying people to give erroneous positive reviews for their products (or negative reviews for competition)?

Why did the African megafauna survive the past 15,000 years when the American megafauna almost completely died out, when humans/ancestors lived in Africa from the start and had only just barely reached America?

One theory is that it isn't so much that early North American hunters hunted to extinction as the whole issue. But rather that the drastic changes from ice age to interglacial and back was too rapid for the mega-fauna to adapt to. And so they were endangered to begin with. Africa didn't have an ice age. And it may actually have been unusually good weather in Africa, not harsh.

One theory is that it isn't so much that early North American hunters hunted to extinction as the whole issue. But rather that the drastic changes from ice age to interglacial and back was too rapid for the mega-fauna to adapt to. And so they were endangered to begin with. Africa didn't have an ice age. And it may actually have been unusually good weather in Africa, not harsh.
But hadn't the weather been fluctuating for like 2 million years, all the while these creatures were adapting to this age of ice/warmth? The only difference between 10000 years ago and 50000 years ago is the proliferation of man. So why did man have greater effect in North America than in Africa?

But hadn't the weather been fluctuating for like 2 million years, all the while these creatures were adapting to this age of ice/warmth? The only difference between 10000 years ago and 50000 years ago is the proliferation of man. So why did man have greater effect in North America than in Africa?

Not necessarily. Remember that when we work from a fossil record, we are extrapolating from very limited data. How many of a given species survived the ice age? For large animals, the answer may be "not very many". And so a species that is already badly stressed doesn't take a lot more to push it over the edge. And the rate of change matters as well. How quickly did the glaciers recede? And did the plants that the animals were dependent on keep pace? There are a lot of factors that we don't have a complete look at that could have pushed the animals to the brink, and then man finished off something that may not have survived in any case.

Africa had none of that.

Why hasn't somebody genetically recreated a dodo yet? I WANNA SEE A DODO!!! :cry:

Damn colonialism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom