Resource icon

[vanilla] Civilization Guide: Japan (vanilla)

dexters

Gods & Emperors
Supporter
Last edited by a moderator:

Attachments

• Zero1.jpg
    Zero1.jpg
    374.6 KB · Views: 4,405
  • Promotion1.jpg
    Promotion1.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 3,957
  • Samurai1.jpg
    Samurai1.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 3,035
Awesome job, Dexters. Great information here. I love Barracks/Armoury Samurai producing cities. haha.

Japan is defintely my fave Civ.

Wow very nice. I am kind of new to the game and have not played Japan very much at all. I am going to play them next. Love all the info and ideas. Love the idea of cross-era Promoted Samurai.

Very nice article, Dexters, and very colourful too. Makes me wanna play a Japan game, which I still havent done, mainly due to my love of Babylon.

I have to ask about the Bushido ability...is there some kind of combat penalty faced by wounded units? How does it work? I've never noticed it on the combat calculations predictor pop-up. Obviously if it has three HP left and it takes three damage, then it's all over. So what;s the advantage?

Very nice article, Dexters, and very colourful too. Makes me wanna play a Japan game, which I still havent done, mainly due to my love of Babylon.

I have to ask about the Bushido ability...is there some kind of combat penalty faced by wounded units? How does it work? I've never noticed it on the combat calculations predictor pop-up. Obviously if it has three HP left and it takes three damage, then it's all over. So what;s the advantage?

the Mechanics of Combat article explains it.

Great write-up. This really gets me interested in playing Japan as a war machine. One question, though - what happens to any promotions that a swordsman has when promoted to samarai? (I could experiment myself with this, but I'm sure other Japan noobs might have the same question)

Great write-up. This really gets me interested in playing Japan as a war machine. One question, though - what happens to any promotions that a swordsman has when promoted to samarai? (I could experiment myself with this, but I'm sure other Japan noobs might have the same question)

the same thing that happens to all other promotions when the unit gets upgraded. They stay on the unit.

This can provide an issue if you took open terrain bonuses before getting to Samurai. You won't get 'free' XP.

the same thing that happens to all other promotions when the unit gets upgraded. They stay on the unit.

This can provide an issue if you took open terrain bonuses before getting to Samurai. You won't get 'free' XP.

So if you're training your warriors on barbs, maybe it's better to give them Drill 1 and something like Medic, so you don't waste the Shock 1 promotion.

So if you're training your warriors on barbs, maybe it's better to give them Drill 1 and something like Medic, so you don't waste the Shock 1 promotion.

cover 1 also viable - samurai's weakness is vs crossbows, cannons and trebs. gives you the option of cover 2 which can be powerful especially as mech inf (bombers/fighters/arty = ranged attack)

Yes. Never give a Warrior/Swordsman you intend to upgrade into Samurai the open-terrain bonus, as it will waste the free open terrain bonus Samurai naturally get upon promotion.

Of course, this means a promoted Samurai likely isn't going to be one of your city-capturing Samurai, as Samurai popping out of a city with a Barracks and an Armory can have instant city-attack bonuses without any work (Shock 1 for free, Shock 2 on first promotion, city-attack bonus on second promotion). Instead a promoted Samurai is more than likely going to be more useful as a Jack-of-All-Trades type.

Query on the air unit: How does a Zero with Maxed Interception and Sortie fair against a B-17 Bomber (American UU) with extra Evasion, Air Repair, and Logistics? Assume the American player uses the first mission to attack, and the second to heal with the extra health from Air Repair.

I've played as and against America in late game wars, but never as Japan, and so the threat of conventional bombers is either a continued thorn in my boot or practical guarantee of city conquest.

If interested, I am willing to run limited scale games between these two civs to understand the mathematics of high-end fighters and high-end bombers in city conquest.

Query on the air unit: How does a Zero with Maxed Interception and Sortie fair against a B-17 Bomber (American UU) with extra Evasion, Air Repair, and Logistics? Assume the American player uses the first mission to attack, and the second to heal with the extra health from Air Repair.

I've played as and against America in late game wars, but never as Japan, and so the threat of conventional bombers is either a continued thorn in my boot or practical guarantee of city conquest.

If interested, I am willing to run limited scale games between these two civs to understand the mathematics of high-end fighters and high-end bombers in city conquest.

I'm not sure anyone has ever tested that.

The Zero has a promotion vs. fighters, not bombers, so I'm not sure it's a reasonable comparison (Zero double intercepts fighters, but the bomber waits until the intercepts are done before attacking).

I actually dislike Japan as a civ, but I think the article does a great job of covering what Japan excels at, and is a great article. STEEL acronym is clever (since the Steel tech is required for the Samurai, arguably the more important of the 2 UU).

The few times I've played Japan, I simply re-roll until I get a large amount of iron (at least 10) either already in my borders, or not too far off. Japan's just not a great civ to try and ally CSs for resources, since Japan has no economic boosts whatsoever. That's just me, though. And, of course, I've not played them much, so I may not be the best opinion on it ;)

Hello, i have one question: (second about upgrading swordsman was repeated;-)) If i get Populism (autocracy social policy + 25% atack to wounded units) - do the wounded Japan unit make 125% damage of healthy state?

I absolutely love Japan and play them in 95% of my games. However, I seem to have trouble expanding while still maintaining decent gold and happiness output.

I was wondering, what policies do you adopt? Also what wonders, if any, do you build? And how do you maintain a steady gold output while still holding onto a powerful army. Thanks!

Don't forget in Authoritarianism(i think), you can get a bonus where wounded units are stronger. Combined with Bushido, you end up with units that are stronger when they're wounded!

Somewhere on these forums I've read from someone trustworthy, that Japan with the Autocracy policy will not deal up to 125% dmg. It will be capped at 100%, so that policy is actually a bit less efficient for Japan than for others (but still works).

Top Bottom