TSG19 Game in Progress

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to the TSG19 Game in Progress thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing. There are no reading or posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through about the first 80 to 100 turns. How did your planning change to make adjustments for the many changes in the recent patch?
- What early wars were there and how did you survive them?
- What Social Policies did you choose and why?
- What tech path did you follow?
- Did you try to build any wonders?
- How did you handle diplomacy with your neighbors?

Once you've completed the game, head over to the TSG19 After Action Report thread.

Played until turn 103. Settled 2 more cities after representation with NC first. Aggressively took 2 pearls form 2 rush buyed work boats that i immediately sold. I killed some barbs with stolen workers that gave me 2 allies very fast(culture and maritime with 2 different luxuries). Pissed London when i stole a worker to another cs. But i can only keep 1 luxury and sell others thanks to early allies. Best thing i've done so far.

Everything was ok until i lost Hagia Sophia at turn 99 with 2 turns left to build :mad:. Fortunately, my cities are all riversided so i will build some gardens later. I wanted to pick a ge to burn the Sistine later. This will slow my progression for sure.

I'm now at war with Elizabeth but some hills and mountains make things very easy. 2 swords, 3 landsneckts and 2 archers are holding her. Astro in 2 turns from the gs(PT), signed 2 RAs with Hiawatha(turn 96) and Askia(turn 100).

What i don't really know now is am i going for Rationalism and get techs faster for better culture buildings/wonder later or going Piety and gather a bit more culture now? I will pop Opera houses from Legalism in 25 turns approx. I think i will go Piety(after Legalism).

This map is well suited for players that are still not too much comfortable at Deity yet(like me).

Interested to see where you placed your cities?

In testing, if I founded a city to the northwest, Elizabeth was all over me. In replays, if I left that city spot vacant, she would leave me alone for quite a long time. :lol:

Update turn 160 :

I bribed Persia to join the war against Liz. For a miserable 60 gold and 5 gpt, he gladly accepted :)

My strategy here is to hard build culture and keep money to sign RAs. If i have spare gold i rush buy culture. Legalism got me 3 Opera Houses. Missed Sistine by 10 turns(the one i wanted to burn with a HS ge). Notre Dame turn 108, The Louvre turn 158 in a far away land :eek:...

Oh well. The goal here is to finish a culture game, but ALSO to survive against stellar techers. I at least follow them for techs. I keep a minimum of units against Liz and i can see some of their units dying in Persia's land. I'm at 50%, 1st is at 55%, average is 50%. Good news.

Culture is slow but i can survie pretty well so far. If nukes appears around turn 220, i will be in trouble, unless i can still bribe some civs.

i got left alone till about turn 160. i had built the HS, rushed sistine and built the kremlin. two cities.
opera houses and hermitage up, monastry too. then england ruined it all in about 5 turns. must build army sooner.

reloaded from an earlier save. the war with england, or any war, never came. england won by science in about 267 turns.

im going to try again.

reloaded from an earlier save. the war with england, or any war, never came. england won by science in about 267 turns.

im going to try again.

England is a strong opponent. I'm now at turn 180 and got Artillery. She's fighting me and Darius. Hiawatha is the tech leader(but not by far). 3 civs are disputing the score leader which is nice for me(no runaway yet, lot of wars). I will aggressively bribe people to prevent early wins.

I made a DoF with Hiawatha and Darius. They are not neighbors. I try to play ''more'' with the AI than any other games before. I guess it's something we need to do at Deity. Going alone is not a good idea.

Funny thing, Darius became Afraid :lol:

Unfortunately, i tried to pick money or luxuries from him but no success.

brutal first try ... tried for GL and didn't get it, fell behind on tech and expansion super-fast (not too surprising) ... settled my second city on the west coast and my third N on the bananas, both to try to block off large spaces, but couldn't hold them (in particular against England). Found myself overextended, with friendly Persia just marching settlers by the half dozen (it seemed like) right through between my cities, and hostile England bearing down on Munich in the north. After Munich fell I fought a holding action in hopes of retaking it and eventually pushing England back, but threw in the towel when England arrived with cannon/rifles and turned Stockholm (also with rifles, flanking my army) against me (and my german pikes and crossbows).

working on my second try now, is going somewhat better (managed to get GL and HG, IW, all relatively early), keeping my cities tighter (didn't stretch for the west coast, or as far north), focusing my cash more on CS (food and culture) rather than a quantity of outclassed units and have been making good headway against England ... fortunately the AI has no clue how to use longbows, otherwise I'd be dead already :D Darius has been less aggressive about expansion, perhaps because I let him have the nice west coast spot. I'm hoping that if I can sufficiently neutralize Elizabeth and pull up to par in tech, I can later push Persia back. <fingers crossed>

Darius got huge and friendly with me. So I just got a nextturner as I watched him field infantry in 1000 AD and fighters not long after. I got beaten to Stonehenge, I got Hagia Sophia and Notre Dame combo, Porcelain Tower was taken. I settled west at the mountain side getting some wine, then a third city down at the pearls.

I tried to compete holding on to 4 cultural citystates and culture buildings, but without any cultural wonder it was mostly for show. I build a settler and fled out into the ocean when Darius suddenly didn't like me anymore. Founded 4. city at some marble/oil/good spot east of England. I was gonna sit there and watch after I lost my land. That didn't happen, England took my refuge instead.

Fighting England and Iroqui in 1880, beating Iroqui with artillery and infantry. Darius is nuking people. I got tired of watching Darius play Civ V, so I stopped there.

Darius. science. 248.

:eek:

Turn 223 :

Always at war with Liz. Artillery and infantry on both sides. Just trying to survive since turn 50. I relay on RAs to keep it up in techs. Broadcast towers and Sydney are the next calls.

I made little bad decisions and faced with a little army when suddenly England declares war to Persia! Phew.

Spoiler :

But i'm far away from the ultimate goal :

Spoiler :

I'm not going well, but no Manhattan or Apollo yet. Lot of wars. Everyone else is friendly with me.

about turn 50 now, got Gl with a "all out going" for it, then settled 2nd city and milked ais for gold to buy CS, not sure yet were to settle a 3rd city, my capital is really strong think I can get some more wonders. But ais dont like me too much - guess england will attack at some point - I be better rdy for it.

Settled on spice. (I still think, this is a good idea) I have tried to use the german UA, and picked honor first. Planned to finish Honor tree last anyway, but I expected a very good start from it.
BO is scout-warriror-granary-monument.
Killed 4 barbarian encampment, but did not get even one brute. In desperation, tried to kill a barb camp with 1 warr. Indicated 5 damage -6 injury chance happened to be a 2-8 and my warrior killed next turn. Rage quitted :)

Honestly I do not see anyone win this first try. The starting position is excellent, lots of space and lux, but Cultural win requires 25 policy what is more than 250 turn whatever you do, and Deity ai tends to win before 250. What I can imagine is a conquest win leaving 1 capitol and destroying everything else, then win by culture :)

I gave up on turn 301, with several AI's close to scientific victory and the UN also built. I guess in my game the AI's were focusing on quarreling with themselves, as I don't think I hindered their progress one bit. At that time I was still lacking 8 SP's and making only 320 culture/turn, so I would've lost in 10-30 turns anyway.

This was one of the first times I tried deity, and I was surprised I made it so far. I wasn't at war a single turn! I didn't expand too aggressively towards Elizabeth, only founded 2 cities, first to West and second to South, both on coast. Also I had to be careful with city states to avoid pissing her off.

My downfall in this game was science. The only wonder I got was Hagia Sophia, which I used then to get an engineer. The engineer was useless though, as all the wonders were built before I had the techs to rush them. I guess 3 cities is just not enough on deity. This lack of wonders then meant they weren't also creating enough culture, at some point it took me 20 turns to get a SP and when I finished still 13 turns.

After long time I play civ5 and took this delty game. Build three cities first, make three neibour city state alied. Fight with England and Tyre, but very succesfully. Make defensive pacts with others. Then I foundate fourth city and make other city states allied. All was fine, but around 1000AD I noticed Persian infrantry. 1200 AD they were all around with antitank guns too. My longswordsmans and crossbowmans had no chance. In five turn I was dead. :)
I simply was not able to have better science. Looking forward to others - I hope someone win.

normally dont play on this level. however trying this one now.

built one additional city to the west. surprised that all the AIs are mostly friendly, except for Liz. got allied with southern CS with the help of barb clearing tasks.

I fell behind turn by turn, Liz attacked from time to time but I was able to defend. Once my army was almost taken out completely by the 3range crossbows. I made the choice to build culture and cash buildings over army and at turn 180 she was invading me with an army that I couldnt cope with. Reloaded an autosave from turn 130 and will change tactics to see how far I get.

Whats you average amount of turns to get a new SP? In my typical game as well as in earlier TSGs this is around 10 in early, then up to 18/19 in mid, and 10 in late game. Since some guys here mention 250 turn wins by AI, this probably is not enough. How do these numbers look for you guys?

So after a couple test runs on deity that were pretty fail I decided to start this game hoping it may go better and so far so good. I am up to turn 96 I decided to say screw the wonders because they seem to always beat you anyway I learned from those quick test games and went for rapid expansion for 4 cities and grabbing enough units to hopefully survive. I have kind of a box with one at the 10 gold wonder to the NW of the starting city and 2 on the other corners grabbing the iron and other luxuries. Needless to say Elizabeth didn't like this to much and declared on me probably around 85 and she has been sending waves non stop. I had great luck with goody huts starting out and managed to get a promotion on an archer that went SE of the starting position late and happened to find one hiding by a CS. With 1 xbow, 1 archer, 3 swordsman, and 2 horseman I have been holding her off quite effectively she almost got my NW city just a bit ago but the horses arrived just in time to save the day.

I doubt I will win due to how fast they are teching up and will probably get a space race win or something else like others mentioned here but I think I will hold my own and hopefully puppet 2 city states that joined her. They are the ones NE and SE of where you start.

You absolutely need these aspects :

1-NC early
2-HS(or Liberty finisher)--->free ge for Sistine
3-A wonder on each cities(can be national ones, just figured that in this game)
4-tons of RAs to stay at par with military techs
5-Provoking wars between AIs
6-Burn a ge(may be HS or Liberty finisher) for Sydney
7-taking right policies in the right order

or,

Bully everyone and sit down to victory...

What i made so far (now at turn 251) :

1-Built NC early
2-Missed HS by 2 turns before turn 100, missed Sistine
3-Wonder in 2nd city pretty late, no one in 3rd city yet
4-RAs everywhere, major reason why i'm still alive
5-So so...not understanding mechanics very well yet
6-Sydney? When i reached the tech i realized that it was already built :lol:
7-Still a big noob in this category. Cultural victories are the less of my problems in mp :mischief:

Liz is bullying me...Darius helped me at the right time. A dozen of jet fighters are sitting each turn in his closest city. My 2nd city stayed at 1hp left for like 15 turns. Fortunately, i can keep land units outside. I just can't keep units too close now. Darius built Apollo around turn 245 and Ghandi the Manhattan project around turn 248. For myself i reached all culture techs. I'm aiming for Atomic bombs(i will see soon if i have uranium).

Can i win this game? Hell no! I just can't win before turn 350, culture is way too slow. One AI will certainly win by Diplo or science way before i can start Utopia. I will make a last update later.

Lets modify the rules and make it reload enabled to see if this is possible at all :)
Once you have completed your first play through, you may replay all you want, just please do not submit.

You are welcome to post here, or in the after action thread, what you achieved in your second, or subsequent, play-throughs. Please do explain where you replayed, and why, as it would be interesting to see what you thought were mistakes and how you corrected them. :)

Top Bottom