TSG19 After Action Report

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Hi everyone and welcome to the TSG19 After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

Please use the Civ5 game submission page to submit your final, first play through, .Civ5Save file, saved AFTER the victory ceremony if you were not conquered (using the "Lemme play one more turn" feature.).

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game or map. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay).

If you survived, how on earth did you do it? :think:

Game: Civ5 GOTM 19
Date submitted: 2011-09-11
Reference number: 24871
Your name: Monthar
Your email:
Game status: Science Loss
Game date: 1760AD
Turns played: 263
Base score: 427
Final score: 427
Time played: 4:40:00
Submitted save: TSG19_Lost_T263.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Monthar_C501901.Civ5Save

I only managed to complete 2 trees, Honor and Piety. I wiped out most of my military when I tried to move on London. This allowed Liz to retake Coventry, which Darius then took from her before I could get some replacement troops in place.

When Darius finally pushed hard on Liz, I managed to sneak a rifleman in and take Oxford after he weakened it. I tried to do the same with another of Liz's cities but Darius took it before it was weak enough for my single rifleman could finish the job. If I could have gotten a 2nd rifleman next to the city in time I could have taken it. So I only had 3 cities at the end, 2 of which were captured and annexed.

I was 1 turn from the next policy when Hiawatha finished the space ship.

See my in progress report for more details.

Mistakes Made
  1. I should have gone for Pottery & Calender first and tried to get Stonehenge.
  2. Animal Husbandry and Trapping could have waited until after NC was started.
  3. I should have built a few more cities as soon as NC was finished.
  4. I need to be a lot more aggressive in building up military, expanding and capturing cities.
  5. I need to try to buy more of my buildings and military and only build what can't be bought (world and national wonders).
  6. I need to learn to go capture workers asap, especially on deity where even the CS's build workers fairly quickly.

I should have gone for Pottery first and tried to get Stonehenge.

This as the approach that I took but I think it put me even further behind at the expense of early expansion and science, plus judging by some of the other reports I was VERY lucky to build it at all, and going for it and then missing it to another civ would have been even more frustrating.

@StrideColossus No matter what techs ya take and what ya build, on deity, you can fall behind on both science and expansion. Resource trading and RA's are definitely vital for keeping up. Keep in mind, the AI starts with 2 settlers, 2 workers and several warriors on deity.

Resource trading and RA's are definitely vital for keeping up. Keep in mind, the AI starts with 2 settlers, 2 workers and several warriors on deity.

True enough. Trying for a cultural win meant I only went for three cities, therefore I only had ONE resource to trade, and not a lot of cash for RAs. I reckon a more expansive and/or aggressive policy would have helped both.

Date submitted: 2011-09-13
Reference number: 24873
Your name: gosu
Game status: Science Loss
Game date: 1862AD
Turns played: 302
Base score: 776
Final score: 776
Time played: 6:40:00
Submitted save: TSG19_End.Civ5Save
Renamed file: gosu_C501901.Civ5Save

I was trying to go for the culture victory but I only completed 3 1/2 trees. I managed to defeat Liz without taking London though (got a good peace deal). The super powers were Darius and Washington, with Darius way ahead in tech and finishing his space ship at 1864AD. I bribed Washington and his nukes into war with Darius to delay the space ship. He nuked him good but didn't manage to make a successful push to the capital (I myself was busy with surviving).

I managed to stay friendly with Darius until he backstabbed me 15 turns before roundwin. He only managed to take one city of me, which I was about to take back with Panzers/Bombers before the game ended.

I was very close to a UN victory which could have been possible with the Patronage-Tree I think. I was at 10 votes (12 to win) at the first vote. With some more bribing It should have been possible, especially cause I had a good cash flow coming in. When Darius declared war at me, my relations with 3 CS was ruined and there was no chance to get the UN victory.

Date submitted: 2011-09-18
Reference number: 24912
Your name: tommynt
Your email:
Game status: Culture Victory
Game date: 1780AD
Turns played: 266
Base score: 2101
Final score: 3964
Time played: 11:54:00
Submitted save: tommynt_GOTM19_end_t266.Civ5Save
Renamed file: tommynt_C501901.Civ5Save

Ok now this is the end - won turn 266 with Utopia finished in 10 turns.

Gave some info in progress thread, here is some quick roundup:

BO cap: Monument, scout, granny, gl, NC, settler, SH, Pyras, Oracle, Hagia, GE PT, University, Notre, Culture stuff (buyed temple some point)

Overall I got:
3 Engis (lib, Hagia, City for PT, Louvre, Opera)
3 Scitnstis (1 PT 2 City) Astro and bulb Opera House tech
10 Artists (Cities) planted all Cap

SP: 2 Trad, fill Liberty, Rationalism some (Legalism abuse in between), fill Freedom, finish with Trad and Commerce (-33% costs comes in really handy)

Free settler Built City at pearls, built 1 close to England (between Spices, Ivory)

War:
I bought some units in cap early on and was able to do quite some barb missions, giving me 4 CS pretty fast (2 cult 2 Marritime), my starting warri kept on moving west and did meet all Nations before he died.
Milked AIs for money - was at war at some point with pretty much every1, tried to stay friendly and get up some army (without army AI WILL just DoW) to be able to do RAs later on, Persia never wanted Peace (untill I took a City at some point and it dwed me like 10turn later again). Had to get up army at Munich to defend England and my Aly kuala Lumpur - mainly built/bought landsknechts for that. Once I had reasearched Iron/stell I upgarded 3 LS and went killing England together with the landsknechts. Lost few Units but they are cheap anyway. Stoped after London - took back Kuala (which Enlgand killed meanwhile with like 7 Catapults) and then took a City from Persia - then peaceful for a while untill I had Infantries
Killed England off with Mechs and stuff and then Persias outland Cities.
Then peace again for a bit untill Wolrd figured I might win, bought lot Panzers and killed Persia and India (stoped when they settled for peace and Utopia was soon)

Tech: (poped archery), writing , mining - towards Civil Service and all rest off top tree straight towards astro (signed 3 RA the turn before bulbing it)
Then lower tree for LS then middle for operas.
1. wave of RA giving me Louvre 2nd wave of RA bringing me into modern era (factories and so on) bulbed then with RA finsiher and 2 scientists infantries and opera house.

Was on par in teching pretty much all game with ais (only time I was really ahead was after bulbing).

Overall I had to do very much little tricky stuff, which cant be pointed out easily - mainly its abusing ai war weakness and its dumbness in trading.

After i could take London it was pretty obvious I will have good chance to win as the vassals are just great for generating gold and science.

Leasons:
AI is dumb on every lvl
Balancing milking and RAs is hard
Cs missions are totaly lucky (built a raod to 3 of em)
Panzers rock but whats even better is a 8 tiem up Mech (with healing while fighting and doing multiple attacks)
be more caeful with missmoves (lost like 3-4 units with moving em totaly dumb like instead of a worker)
Culture modifiers got nerfed badly

Should let myself get less distraced by multiplayer games, but finish more straight :)

no1 else?

cant be that hard to win on a map:
- with no1 in back, while all other civs are close and fight each other
- 5-6 CS all in "your" teritory = barb missions should be yours = CS = yours
- 2 great military UUs helping to survive/kill
- a Cap nearly perfect for going huge and even on coast being great for cult
- lot room no other civ want have early on

I mean obviously I was semi lucky to get that many wonders and some good barb missions, alowing me to have huge cult allready even early on - but even without - winning this shouldnt be THAT hard - all u have to basicly do is generating enough gold to do RAs and fighting semi clever (ai suicides 3/4 units anyway). So even when I doubt that some1 might beat my turn time (well maybe going peity is more clever - dunno ,,) there should be some more cult wins in the early 300s?

I moved the capital inland to have more room for landmarks. Build order was: Monument, Scout, Scout, Scout, Worker, (free settler), Settler, Granary, Library, National College.

In the screenshot you can see my scout lying in ambush to steal a worker from Helsinki. I stole about 10 workers total, and generated 3 great generals by plinking the city with my archer.

Spoiler Turn 41 Screenshot :
My first round of RAs cleared Education, Compass, Chivalry, Acoustics. I built Hagia Sofia in my second city, and used the GE to build Porcelain Tower in my third city.

Spoiler Turn 101 Screenshot :
I chopped every forest in the capital to build the Sistine Chapel, freeing my Liberty GE to build the Louvre.

My second round of RAs cleared Archaeology and Chemistry. I took Legalism at this point for the free Museums. Unfortunately I forgot to build a Monastery in the wine city, so I had to build one Museum the hard way.

Darius was becoming a monster, but I was wasn't worried as long as he was beating up Liz. I tried really hard to avoid any diplo hits with him - no cities up north, no early wonders, no city state allies (I allied Bucharest before Darius found them), no new wars, no killing Helsinki.

Spoiler Turn 138 Screenshot :
My third round of RAs plus Oxford and the PT scientist got me to Telegraph. I burned two great generals on golden ages to help build Cristo Redentor and stabilize my neglected income.

Spoiler Turn 174 Screenshots :

After Darius captured London, I bribed him into new wars to distract him from my land. Everyone else denounced him for being the superpower, so I had plenty of targets to choose from.

I was too lazy to pop an engineer/scientist, so I had to wait for another round of RAs to get Mass Media and build Sydney Opera House the hard way. Darius beat me to it when I was halfway done.

Spoiler Turn 225 Screenshot :
I had to steal a couple city-states away from Darius to prevent him from winning by diplomacy. Fortunately the AI can only bribe one city-state per turn, so he was stuck on 8 votes and 100,000 gold when the vote was held.

I had 13 landmarks in Berlin at the end.

Spoiler Turn 268 Screenshot :
Utopia Project finished on turn 286. I didn't break any gpt deals, in fact I avoided war with all the major powers. Even Helsinki ended as my friend when I took Patronage as the final tree.

I built zero Landsknechts, zero Panzers, recruited zero barbarians (despite plundering 5 camps), and barely had any land units. :lol:

Spoiler Turn 286 Screenshot :

Thought I might make it, with Persia seemingly interested in a science victory, but then he built the UN t250, and owning half the world and most cs and a cashpile of 100k, it was just a matter of ending the turns until he won.

Think I lost a lot of time midgame, on not signing RA and allying cs, but I never had the cashflow to allow for that. I would probably have needed another 50-75 turns to finish, was about 6t from a oxford+gs bulb to Sidney, four cities with pop between 10 and 18.

Fun game, but I don't yet play tight enough to win on deity since the last two patches. Think I'll move straight on to TSG20 now. :)

Date submitted: 2011-09-24
Reference number: 24938
Your name: GreatSword
Your email:
Game status: Conquest Loss
Game date: 1090AD
Turns played: 169
Base score: 204
Final score: 204
Time played: NA
I settled 2 more cities and fought off early english invasions; even managed to take a city from england. Up to that point everything looked good. Then england got the longbow tech. No tile outside the border city was save, everything was focus fired and picked off. England had few melee units and these had a hard time reaching the city, since longbows occupied almost every tile. After ~20 turns with zero city HP england finally managed to bring in some melee to liberate their city. Then everything went down fast. Each of my core city took them 2 turns to take down: salvo, salvo, move in. They brought in new units faster then I could kill them.

I pribed other civilizations to war england, but it made them only stronger. Even worse, since the other major powers were at war with england the city states were peaceblocked, leaving them only my allies to invest in. Even while at war with england babylon was more interested in fighting the osmans and settling in my backyard, instead of fighting england.

Ok now this is the end - won turn 266 with Utopia finished in 10 turns.

Gave some info in progress thread, here is some quick roundup:

BO cap: Monument, scout, granny, gl, NC, settler, SH, Pyras, Oracle, Hagia, GE PT, University, Notre, Culture stuff (buyed temple some point)

Overall I got:
3 Engis (lib, Hagia, City for PT, Louvre, Opera)
3 Scitnstis (1 PT 2 City) Astro and bulb Opera House tech
10 Artists (Cities) planted all Cap

SP: 2 Trad, fill Liberty, Rationalism some (Legalism abuse in between), fill Freedom, finish with Trad and Commerce (-33% costs comes in really handy)

Free settler Built City at pearls, built 1 close to England (between Spices, Ivory)

War:
I bought some units in cap early on and was able to do quite some barb missions, giving me 4 CS pretty fast (2 cult 2 Marritime), my starting warri kept on moving west and did meet all Nations before he died.
Milked AIs for money - was at war at some point with pretty much every1, tried to stay friendly and get up some army (without army AI WILL just DoW) to be able to do RAs later on, Persia never wanted Peace (untill I took a City at some point and it dwed me like 10turn later again). Had to get up army at Munich to defend England and my Aly kuala Lumpur - mainly built/bought landsknechts for that. Once I had reasearched Iron/stell I upgarded 3 LS and went killing England together with the landsknechts. Lost few Units but they are cheap anyway. Stoped after London - took back Kuala (which Enlgand killed meanwhile with like 7 Catapults) and then took a City from Persia - then peaceful for a while untill I had Infantries
Killed England off with Mechs and stuff and then Persias outland Cities.
Then peace again for a bit untill Wolrd figured I might win, bought lot Panzers and killed Persia and India (stoped when they settled for peace and Utopia was soon)

Tech: (poped archery), writing , mining - towards Civil Service and all rest off top tree straight towards astro (signed 3 RA the turn before bulbing it)
Then lower tree for LS then middle for operas.
1. wave of RA giving me Louvre 2nd wave of RA bringing me into modern era (factories and so on) bulbed then with RA finsiher and 2 scientists infantries and opera house.

Was on par in teching pretty much all game with ais (only time I was really ahead was after bulbing).

Overall I had to do very much little tricky stuff, which cant be pointed out easily - mainly its abusing ai war weakness and its dumbness in trading.

After i could take London it was pretty obvious I will have good chance to win as the vassals are just great for generating gold and science.

Leasons:
AI is dumb on every lvl
Balancing milking and RAs is hard
Cs missions are totaly lucky (built a raod to 3 of em)
Panzers rock but whats even better is a 8 tiem up Mech (with healing while fighting and doing multiple attacks)
be more caeful with missmoves (lost like 3-4 units with moving em totaly dumb like instead of a worker)
Culture modifiers got nerfed badly

Should let myself get less distraced by multiplayer games, but finish more straight :)
Tommynt,

Since you did not build a worker, I guess you bought a worker at the start. Which units did you buy?

Wich tech did you researched with GL? Cause After Writing - Mining, I went for Civil Service, so it started with Philosophy. When GL came, I had to pop Calender. Should gone for Animal Husbandry after Mining and pop Philosphy, I guess?

usually I will try to pop CS with GL, my slim deity experience told me that ai ll get it around (before) turn 40 - imposible to have all prequisites for CS till then - so I just poped Philo and teched horse/traping to work my lux. bought worker asap ya and then a archer and a warri (I think). Later 1 or 2 more Landsknechts.

Maybe I was lucky to get GL yes, but in a GOTM game I want be as fast as possible and therefore have to go for "luck". And well my playstile with milking ai is totaly different as f.e. Daves approach - interesting to see that both can work

In my 'official' try, I am not going to make it, so I won't post that one.
I was just wondering about your try, so I checked what the result whould be. Getting GL is indeed base on luck. First try (from which my questions came up) I was the first to construct GL. However, second try I did the some, but somebody else was ahead. Maybe due to the fact that they poped writing from a hut, or so.

I want to check again, if you rush to GL, somebody else gets there first. But I will not try until next weekend. If there are some results, I will post them here.

Finally finished this. India won a space victory, turn 296.

Yes, I survived with my OCC / Hanging Gardens rush. I had 9 more policies to complete for a cultural win. I was behind (20%+) in tech for much of the game, so there was no way I could get those late wonders which should've got me the rest of the way there. I think I had 5 monuments down at the end.

I only ever fought with England. Everyone else was friendly. Towards the end, Askia went neutral for a while, then Gandhi was hostile too. Odd that Gandhi should win via space--Persia was way ahead in tech and had built half the ship--maybe my continual bribing to keep him at war with whoever I could distracted their space industry.... I had one inconclusive UN vote--although at the end Persia had 75K gold, with others not far behind. There simply weren't enough CS left to win this way.

The tenacious Berliners entered the modern era (atomic theory) on the final turn; we were just starting our first Panzer.... Kept Stockholm and England's four cities, including their cap. They finally sued for peace around turn 260 and gave me 1530 gold and 51 gpt. :) Best units that saw wartime service were rifles and artillery. England never redeclared (though hostile and threatening), even with mechs etc.

So I tried twice to get GL. First time using cultural city management and second time using production city management. Twice somebody else finished GL. First in 43th turn, second time turn 36 already.

Tommyt, I think luck was on your side!

So I tried twice to get GL. First time using cultural city management and second time using production city management. Twice somebody else finished GL. First in 43th turn, second time turn 36 already.

Tommyt, I think luck was on your side!

fnished it definatly before turn 40, either t39 or t36 i think, really i got slim deity exp - I was pretty sure that teching straight going aristrocy and having a fast early worker d be enough :)

Ok, I will try again (and I did: GL build in a far away land (turn 34). To learn something about your start:
<<Edit: Tried agian. Settled on Spice. GL build in far away land (turn 35))>>

BO cap: Monument, Scout, Granny, Great Library, ...
Techs: Pottery, Writing, Mining, ... Where mining is used to clear the forests around the capital?

So, I traded gold for gold per turn with the AI (for example, 112 gold vs 5 gold per turn (I know: not very good)), which allowed me to buy a worker fast. But barbs around my capital made the worker hide for a few turns. Finally, I used the worker to clear some forests when building GL.

Tommynt, now I am curious. Which tiles do you work with your citizens? Because I start with the wheat tiles, after that the elephant and finally some river plains. Still, someone managed to be there first... Damn.

well looks like its luck if ai builds Gl t34 or 39 or 41 .....

maybe me going war with lot of civs made them also stop building it but something else ...
I m pretty clueless :)

I teched horses not mining - then traping

Top Bottom