News: TSG20 Announcement

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Civilization 5 - Game of the Month Training Series Game 20
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////////

Welcome to the twentieth game in the GOTM V Training Series! There are plenty of new features in Civilization 5 to explore and the Training Series games will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out these new features in a friendly environment. You are all encouraged to post your questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads described below. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread. Before going into the details of this game, we would like to ask you to abide to our most sacred rule: don’t replay any turns. If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. It’s better to do the bad moves in the Training Series instead of in the actual GOTM competition, once it starts.

In this game, the designated VC is Science. You may win by any VC you wish, as all VC's are enabled, but the results will be posted with fastest finish by Science victory and then all other VC listed below by fastest time. Good Luck!

In this game you will play as Harun al-Rashid and lead the Arabian civilization to victory. It’s a standard sized random map played at Prince difficulty and at standard pace. Science victory is the designated VC for this game, all victory conditions are enabled. You will have until October 15th to complete the game and submit.

It seems the new patches for windows puts Mac players on the sidelines again as they await their patches. Hope it is a short wait. :please:

Please note that you are only allowed to build Oxford University one time. :nono:

Civ V - TSG20 Game Settings:
Playable Civ: Harun al-Rashid - Arabia
Number of AI Opponents: 7
Number of City-States: 16
Map type: Random
Map Size: Standard
Difficulty Level: Prince
Temperature: Temperate
Game pace: Standard
Game options: Promotion saving is enabled. The No City Razing and Raging Barbs options are enabled. Quick Combat is disabled (You can enable it by following instructions in this link.) Policy saving was enabled in the options on creation but did not seem to function in testing..
Game Version: This game was created in Civ5 version 1.0.1.383

In this game, you will be playing as Harun al-Rashid, you possess Trade Caravans. You receive +1 Gold from each Trade Route and Oil Resources provide double quantity.

You can train the Camel Archer, which replaces the Knight. The Camel Archer is a powerful ranged attack unit, allowing it to damage enemies 2 hexes away. It can move after combat. The Camel Archer is less powerful than the Knight in melee combat and is vulnerable to Pikemen attacks. You must discover the technology of Chivalry and have Horse resources to build it.

You can also build the Bazaar, which replaces the Market. The Bazaar provides a Gold bonus to the city in which it is built. The civilization gains one additional copy of each luxury resource provided by the city possessing the Bazaar. It also provides +2 Gold on Oil and Oasis. You must discover the technology of Currency to build it.

Information about threads associated with TSG
TSG Announcement thread (this one). This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please don’t post any information from a game you have started. Instead use the next thread.

Game In Progress thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once it's on the way. There are no reading or posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play.

After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state (preferably in the post title) your victory date and score, as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory! , We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the two week period (sorted by date and score). Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after two weeks, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.

File Upload System
We now have a game file upload system you can find here. Please use it to upload your completed first attempt by saving the game on the turn after your victory or defeat. (by using the "lemme play one more turn" feature)

This game runs for four weeks and ends Saturday, 15 October 2011.

The Save can be found here.

I'm seriously thinking of settling on the gold to be able to build the observatory in the capital. With this being a Prince level game, the loss of 1 turn shouldn't be much of an issue. However I think I'll move the warrior SW 2 before settling just to see what's down there.

Monthar: That was my first thought as well. More production, more money early on, and Observatory are all excellent reasons to skip a turn.

I've not played with the raging barbs option yet. Not entirely sure what to expect!

Would settling on the hill help the defence strength of the capital in any way?

You will have until October 1st to complete the game and submit.

This game runs for four weeks and ends Saturday, 15 October 2011.

Sorry to be "that" guy, but is this still the standard 4-week, or because it is Prince we only have two weeks?

Sorry to be "that" guy, but is this still the standard 4-week, or because it is Prince we only have two weeks?
Sorry for the confusion, you have a month. Cut and paste error. :blush:

corrected. :)

Glad to see you read it. Some will be surprised by Raging Barbs and No City Razing, I'm sure... :mischief:

:thanx: for letting me know. Looks like server issues.

Off to check.

edit - just tried and got TSG20 save for download, but had to wait over a minute. But will still check on it. :hmm:

I've not played with the raging barbs option yet. Not entirely sure what to expect!

Would settling on the hill help the defence strength of the capital in any way?

It helps, but don't relay on that. You need 4 barbs to take a big hit. If you see 4 barbs, you are :

1-very unlucky to see them spawning on the same turn
2-you don't have any units to defend

Conlcusion, keep at least 2 warriors and an archer to kill them before they enter your territory and clear barb camps fast. If you are very comfortable, you can wait a message from cs(and keep getting xp) that they want you to destroy a camp and gain free influence.

Having issues getting the save, is there another problem?

Started a download of the file but it failed halfway through and haven't been able to get past a recurring 404. :(

Update - server appears to be functioning normally now. Good Luck. :thumbsup:

I just tried to get the save on my other computer and got this message.
C:\...\TSG20_Start.Civ5Save could not be saved, because the source file could not be read.

Try again later, or contact the server administrator.

imo raging barbs help more as it hurts as u ll get CS very easily (they all cry for help - dont they?)

havent started the game but will do today - guess i ll buy some warris with early gold and go hunt dem barbs - never ever tried military tree - maybe even go for it?

let some camps allive and farm em constantly for cult maybe with a sword later on?

:yup: Sorry for the inconvenience. It is down again.

If you would like the save, it is attached below:

Attachments

• TSG20_Start.Civ5Save
    412.3 KB · Views: 67
Thanks for that, but I keep getting a runtime error when I try to load the game.

Anyone else?

EDIT - Doesn't matter, I got the original file.

Here we go!

Welcome to CivFanatics and GoTM. :wavey:

Sorry, but I do not see how I can do that. With autoupdate, I cannot, or do not know how, to make my copy of Civ5 retro back to another version. The only advice I can give is that you could play the previous games made before the current patch.

:hmm: Not sure what would happen if you took those saves and tried to play them in your version of the game?

This is one of the reasons we still have Training Games instead of competitions, the versions are yet to mature.

Sorry I cannot be of more help. :sad:

I'm seriously thinking of settling on the gold to be able to build the observatory in the capital. With this being a Prince level game...

Monthar: That was my first thought as well. More production, more money early on...

Hi. This is my first attempt at one of these (I've lurked on and off since Sid's Sushi...it's been long enough methinks) and I have what I'm sure is a very simple question.

Will settling on the gold give you the gold without having to mine it? I'm sorry if this question belongs in the Game in Progress thread...I haven't actually started yet because this would determine my first move.

Top Bottom