Podcast about Alpha Centauri

Sefren

Chieftain
Quote from site

"Zynga’s Brian Reynolds makes Planetfall on Three Moves Ahead and, along with Soren, Troy, and Rob, founds a discussion of Alpha Centauri. He explains what went wrong with the “Civ in space” idea, and the role of the game’s fiction. He and Soren talk about how Alpha Centauri changed the Civilization series, and take a look at some of its strange features, like the design workshop and climate change. Brian reveals he used the cast album of Les Miserables for inspiration as he wrote for the game, and Troy immediately proposes marriage."

http://flashofsteel.com/index.php/2011/09/15/three-moves-ahead-episode-134-the-alpha-centauri-show/

Thanks for posting this link! It's a must-listen for fans of SMAC (length is about one hour, twenty minutes). Here are some of my notes about the podcast:

1. Brian feels that the Unit Workshop wasn't a success because it wasn't "fun" and resulted in units all looking alike. Now, he would prefer that each faction have units that appeared unique.

2. SMAC was the first game to introduce the concept of "national borders." Much copied by subsequent games.

3. Lots of discussion about a possible SMAC II. Extremely unlikely to happen because the intellectual property rights are split and all the original designers are unavailable for such a project.

4. Maniac's Planetfall mod for Civ 4 gets a favorable mention. Kudos to Maniac!

Instead of all the chatter about what went wrong and right, they should get started on a SMAC II that does everything right. :)

Thanks for the newstip!

+1 Thank you for posting this Sefren! :goodjob:

Petek said:
1. Brian feels that the Unit Workshop wasn't a success because it wasn't "fun" and resulted in units all looking alike. Now, he would prefer that each faction have units that appeared unique.

I was very surprised at how negative BR was at first towards the Unit Design Workshop. I think it was the second time it was brought up in the conversation that he sort of lightened up and made a comment to the effect that if they had given it more effort, then it would have been better. My take on the UDW was that it made me think of what was the best unit I could build to counter/ take advantage of the situation I was finding myself in at the moment in the game, as opposed to being spoon-fed pre-designed units (i.e. more of a "here it is - take it or leave it" approach). Also, as a SMAC(X) modder I loved the fact that if I wanted to put a new unit into a mod, then all I needed to do was add one line to the #UNITS section of the alpha(x).txt file (as opposed to everything that needs to be done in cIV or ciV just to add one unit).

Some thoughts/ observations on the discussion:

1. BR's comment regarding "rubbing two sticks together", and BR doing it all himself in regards to the dialog (as opposed to now in that a gaming company hires people specifically to do each facet): I never knew that he had written most of that material himself, and that Le Miserable was a source of inspiration for this. Very interesting!

2. The comment "the AI should never be caught cheating" (as opposed to "the AI should never cheat"): :lol:

3. The comment that the programmers "don't see the code the same way the players do": I've run into something similar on several occasions in the past where I as a tester have to teach/ show the programmers what it is they are coding, and why its important to code a certain way. Also, as a SMAC(X) modder I did tend to look at the scenarios I was building from the player's perspective in that I took into account (took advantage of?) the AIs' tendencies, as well as compensated for the AIs weaknesses (i.e. I was seeing the code as to how it operated in the various "environments" I created, as opposed to reviewing how it was written).

4. Too bad they didn't go more into Factional development - I would've liked to have heard more about how they went about fleshing out the leaders and their factions.

5. The comment about backstabbing, and that it didn't make sense: I disagree with that in that backstabbing is routine in SP, as I'll do it in a heartbeat if I think its going to improve my overall position. Therefore I think AIs should be able to do it as well. And to expand upon this a little further, why as a gamer a lot of what I do in a game is conditioned thru multiple iterations of playing (I guess sort of a Pavlovian approach, if you will), and if an AI has intermittently backstabbed me (say once every ten games or so), then this is something I have to take into account in my current game (i.e. I can't leave my long border with my friendly neighbor AI completely unguarded). Or, to put it yet another way, its to the AIs' advantage.

6. As a devout Gaian player I loved how they kept using the Gaian/ Morganite conflict to discuss interfactional tensions. :goodjob:

7. Too bad they didn't go into the combat mechanics moreso, as well as what improvements were made in cIV et al.

8. I would've also liked to have known why they chose pink for the fungus - that color always hurt my eyes! Blah!

9. I've also wondered what the feedback Firaxis received regarding SMAC: my opinion was that a lot of people simply found the game too dark.

10. Concerning AC2: yeah, they were pretty down on that. I would absolutely love an AC2. That being said, there hasn't been any game released by any company in this genre (planetary sci-fi 4X TBS) since SMAC, so I've always believed that there is an untapped niche there for something in the same vein/ theme.

D

Sounds like a great podcast from the above comments; I'll have to listen in when I get a chance.

In the meantime - any idea if BR, SM or any of the rest will answer individual fan questions and, if so, where to send them? I'd love to know more about the history of SMAC/X development itself, for example (as mentioned in another thread) some information on dropped techs, abilities, etc.

Great podcast, thanks for the link.

Sounds like a great podcast from the above comments; I'll have to listen in when I get a chance.

In the meantime - any idea if BR, SM or any of the rest will answer individual fan questions and, if so, where to send them? I'd love to know more about the history of SMAC/X development itself, for example (as mentioned in another thread) some information on dropped techs, abilities, etc.
Well, Brian has a Twitter account, so you could send him a message that way.

This podcast was well-worth a listen for any SMAC fan. I loved hearing about the interplay between SMAC and Civ IV, directly from the developers, seeing as I'm kiiiiind of addicted to both games.

I thought it was interesting how Brian mentioned that he'd love to do a SMAC game in the vein of Mass Effect. It's one of those things that would be amazing if pulled off well, but I'd worry about how they'd handle it. Obviously I'd love to see a new SMAC strategy game, either as a sequel or a remake... we can only dream, I guess!

Liked the podcast. Bryan should come back to action some time: stop making browser mini-games, and make something big. If he was still at BHG, he could have been working with Ken Rolston in that latest, lovely big RPG of his.

Top Bottom