TSG21 After Action Report

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Hi everyone and welcome to the TSG21 After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

Please use the Civ5 game submission page to submit your final, first play through, .Civ5Save file, saved AFTER the victory ceremony if you were not conquered (using the "Lemme play one more turn" feature.).

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay).

Would be interested to hear any thoughts on game setup. :)

Game: Civ5 GOTM 21
Date submitted: 2011-10-02
Reference number: 24972
Your name: Monthar
Your email:
Game status: Conquest Loss
Game date: 1844AD
Turns played: 292
Base score: 300
Final score: 300
Time played: NA
Submitted save: AutoSave_0292 AD-1844.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Monthar_C502101.Civ5Save

nuff said

First Upload :)

Date submitted: 2011-10-04
Reference number: 24982
Your name: Arilian
Your email:
Game status: Domination Victory
Game date: 1775AD
Turns played: 265
Base score: 2088
Final score: 3939
Time played: 6:18:00
Submitted save: TSG21_ConquestWin_Arilian.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Arilian_C502101.Civ5Save

Main plot is described in the "in progreess thread, after that i just nuked everyone and captured cities and capitols with RA and Tanks.
It was quite a fun game from me, i wanted to stop at the beginning because of a not perfect start (lost a scout got only 2 hut total, did not have iron due bad city placement) but crawled back with RAs (still too powerful)

Check here for part 1(until turn 115) :

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=10937977&postcount=5

Part 2(until turn 135) :

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=10939432&postcount=13

I advanced through Greece and i stopped at Sparta's borders. My other army was growing until rifles.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

When i got rifles, i upgraded almost all my LSM in 1 turn. My first and old army let some riflemen on Mecca's borders(yes, my best friend...sry dude).

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

The young,big and inexperimented army on the left has splitted in 2 to catch Persepolis and Istanbul around the same time.

Spoiler :

I researched chemistry too late but riflemen are strong enough. I took Istanbul first, that i sold to Ghandi. The turn after i took Greece's capital and sold it to Ghengis. Mecca felt 1-2 turns after and sold to...Romans. So everyone i bullied earlier received a gift :)

Persepolis captured on turn 159.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

Grats, very good time. I could not fight figth longswords, as I did not have iron. Any CS i bouth for iron was taken from me in 5-10 turn. Ghandi and Alex for me was owing 90% af all city states all the time.

I always wondered why it is not a requirement to HOLD all capitals for conquest victory.
I have a conquest victory long time ago, when I just sniped the superpower's capital after it conquered all other capitals. He could easily recapture it in 1 turn, and then annihilate me, but no: I won :)

Date submitted: 2011-10-05
Reference number: 24989
Your name: bige77
Game date: 1860AD
Turns played: 300
Base score: 2452
Final score: 4086

I went tradition/liberty with the plan of getting faster settlers then finishing tradition to get 3 or 4 stongish cities. Due to the resource placement the plan was executed but was not efficient at all having like 7 horses and 2 iron that I was able to pick up and I was planning on trying to start conquering at longswordsman. Since that was a bust I focused research hard cause I was falling behind and picked up PT and Rationalism to help trade agreements so I could get a tech lead which took a bit but was able to do with the agreements and bulbing scientists for critical techs (Infantry later). Mongolia declared on me shortly before I made it to rifleman and when my army was still small 5 or 6 units maybe, looking back I should have built more units but I am more of a builder/wonder spammer normally. I thought I was going to lose here because him and Rome decided to team up on me but I held them off with the few units and made it to rifles before anyone and was able to fight the mongols off and take a city and get a good peace deal so I could focus on Rome.

I took out 3 of Romes biggest cities with rifles and 3 cannons then I bulbed like 4 techs to Infantry and the route was on then. With his capital and 2 other biggest cities out I peaced him and cleaned him out and somewhere during this time Sulieman declared on me right at the same time I grabbed Mech Infantry so I ran across the huge India empire and waxed his major cities + capital then robbed him in a peace deal (don't know about you guys but at this point I was having MAJOR happiness issues until I picked up the first part of order then I was okay). After that I ran all my units back home to take out an almost 100 str India capital. With the sneak attack and the majority of his army off fighting somewhere else I took it easily but lost a few uber promoted mechs defending it before he finally accepted peace.

Next I moved on to Persia and Greek I think they both declared on me about this time and I was getting my first few tanks and bombers which made killing Persia a cake walk they had fighters but I am not sure they ever put them on intercept cause I was bombing the mess out of them. Anyway he died quick and in the middle of that war I upgraded to stealth bombers and flattened Greece's massive army and hunted down his capital I just knew it was to the east somewhere I had never seen it. I marched right in with bomber support with like 2 tanks and capped it and like 2 other cities in between. During all that India declared on me and was eating up my puppets over by Sulieman but it didn't matter I took a couple of his cities blocking the way to Askia and killed him in like 5 turns and it was GG.

Lessons learned I need to pick up iron working quicker so I don't get screwed over on iron like I did delaying my war machine. Other than that I considered it a pretty good game I am not much into speed winning like the pros here but I won so that is what counts I suppose after the crappy starting position we were in.

Date submitted: 2011-10-08
Reference number: 24997
Your name: Aaronius
Game status: Science Wrong VC
Game date: 1942AD
Turns played: 362
Base score: 750
Final score: 1041

My previous posts covering my game thru turn 295 can be found in the progress thread…here's a summary

Spoiler :

I left the story at turn 295. I was the weakest military in the world, technologically lagging behind four other nations, my empire was utterly indefensible from a geographic point of view, and culturally I was barely in third place. :confused:

I was debating trying to penetrate further into Greece’s territory. I was at war with Greece and Allied with India Persia, and most importantly Mongolia. Greece had been beating Mongolia who was my buffer against Greece, so I joined the fray and amazingly was able to take four cities against the much larger and more advanced military. My attack had stalled at the remnants of the Arab empire which were now heavily defended Greek cities. Other than continuing to attack Greece, which would have meant the death of many many units, I thought maybe I could pull off a cultural victory. :crazyeye:

…so what happened?

Well, I realized something shortly after that post. It has everything to do with a converstation that two of the fellow GOTM posters were talking about on the progress thread. Bige77 asked whether it was necessary to take one civilization's capital if it was already in the hands of another civilization in order to win a domination victory. Arilian answered that it was not.

This gave me a bright idea! :mischief:

Spoiler :

I had a city (Antium) that directly bordered Mongolia’s capital. I thought to myself: “why should I kill all my units fighting Greece and everybody else for that matter? I can simply support the Mongols as their best allies I can be, and then sneak attack their capital in a single turn to end the game!”

I thought I was a genius :goodjob:, but two things went wrong :blush:. 1st of all, Mongolia were unfocused in their campaigns :rolleyes:. They kept wanting to split their forces to go after this or that city-state :rolleyes::rolleyes:. They showed none of the killer focus going after Greece’s cities that Greece had shown against them :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:. Secondly, Persia and Ghandi wised up somehow. I did absolutely everything in my power to create the greatest coalition in the game. Ghandi had been my super BFF since the beginning of recorded time. Darius was nearly as close. I brought Khan into the coalition later, and altho there were some initial issues especially from Darius. I got them all trading and RAing with each other and I thought we were all good.

However, Darius went nuts. He killed off Suleiman :(, got filthy rich :(:(, entered a neverending golden age :(:(:(, shot up in score, denounced Mongolia :cry:, denounced India :cry::cry:, denounced me :cry::cry::cry:, and went to war with Khan in the span of 15 turns :mad:. I tried my best diplomacy but Darius simply would not listen to reason .

My plan was failing. Everything in my game depended on keeping my coalition strong. I needed a new strategy ASAP. I saw it happening and recognized I would never be able to defend any of my cities if any of my allies attacked. So first I made peace with Greece. Then I systematically sold off every single city I took, and pared down to my original two city empire. I deliberately sold cities to players that were right next to another nation’s territory. I had research agreements with everybody but Greece and Rome (rome was just an island city at this point). I did what it took to get RAs with both and traded every luxury and strategic resource I could. What was the result of all this? I am proud to say I made every single player go to war with every single other player in the game. India Persia Mongolia Rome and Greece were ALL AT WAR WITH EACH OTHER, and none were at war with me. All of their RAs were broken, and all of mine were on. :king::king::king:

So my original plan to help Mongolia dominate, only to backstab them failed. But suddenly I had a shot at a tech victory. My attempts to stay militarily relevant had me well set up for science victory, and even tho my science was a pathetic 292 beakers at turn 362 :blush: I still had a shot at building a spaceship first if my RAs held up. :lol:

As it turned out things could not have been any closer at the end. My spaceship launched on the same turn as the UN vote. I had to go to war with Alex and break one RA b/c he was buying every CS on the map and starting to kill Mongolia again. I actually had two more RAs than I needed (you can’t be too safe) so breaking one with Greece didn’t ruin my strategy. I didn’t know if I would be allowed to launch my ship before the UN Vote, since they were going to happen on the same turn, so I was warring Alex and I was going to take one of his CS by military force if I had to vote before my spaceship launched. As it turns out I was able to launch without having to vote, so I WON. I WON I WON I WON.

This game had more plot twists than Scream 4. I have won cultural games as Ghandi before with only one or two cities, but I had never won a science game from such a weak position. All I have to say is that Ghandi and Khan are fantastic loyal friends to have. In three games now I have never had Mongolia or India backstab me if we were friends. I can’t say as much about any other leaders. When you are as weak as I was this entire game, loyal friends mean absolutely everything….

…oh, and screw Darius and Alex!

Date submitted: 2011-10-10
Reference number: 25003
Your name: Mazer Rackham
Game date: 1020AD
Turns played: 162
Base score: 1151
Final score: 3596
Time played: 8:19:00

Recap up to turn 124:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=10946918&postcount=19

And Turn 152:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=10955139&postcount=20

I would've liked to have beaten Tabarnak, but fell a few turns short. :) I made a few errors and had a little bad luck/skill in scouting in the early game. But, it was fun accomplishing this victory without taking any policies in Liberty.

After I got going, I used a lot of fun exploits tactics. Bribing Civs to war -- having Civs pay me to declare war on others I planned on attacking anyway, breaking AI trade routes by pillaging connective roads outside their borders, and ultimately breaking my promise to Alex that my troops were "just passing through".

This game was much crisper than my last GOTM domination attempt competing to get the win as soon as possible (the Mongolia/continents game). Only once did I build a dubious wonder (the Hagia Sophia). My main strategy could be broken down into 3 main phases:

1) get an initial army together
2) get science ramped up (libraries and National College)
3) get a 2nd army going to be able to attack 2 fronts at once - sprinkle with happiness / production builds as necessary

Then you can open up a bit on the builds. I got a University for my Rifling GS and the Oracle since it was still sitting out there. Also built some more military. Through the game, I built and bought scout garrisons for every city for the happiness and culture from the Honor policy.

Good game Mazer. Rifles help a lot when you fight after the 140 turn mark. I think tommy will try to finish everyone with LSM and before they will get better units or too much of them. I took the ''safe'' path and overproduced units before attacking. Fights were a no-brainer. Took me only 4 hours after all. For a more optimal way, i think a sub 140 turns is possible if you manage to build enough LSM and get a bit of luck with no runaway Rome, Ghengis or Alex.

...continued from the in progress thread.

Spoiler :

Roman war:
Rome declared on me on turn 112. This didn't matter, as with 5 LSM's I captured Rome on turn 119. Still it took till the mid 140's till he finally wanted to settle for peace. My 4 LSM's in Persia had to defend the west side of the map against a mixed army of 10-15 ballistas/legions/horses. I had to give up Genghis capital and had to sell it to Arabia. Also Rome was under constant attack after capturing....but that was the easy part.

Greek war:
When my 5 LSM's that captured Genghis capital (t105) started moving back to Medina to take on Alex. Everything looked to be fine for a t130 win or so. However, I should have recieved a warning on turn 108. Alex declared war on me HAVING THE BIGGEST ARMY! Bigger than my 12 LSM army! :sad:

So when I got to Medina (t110), 4 Compagnon Cavelries (CC'S) showed up and 4 pikes. Also Alex build Mycenae on the choke point entering Alex area. :mad:

But now the battle started against scores of CC's/Pikes/Archers/Catapults.
After capturing Mycenae I annexed it being able to buy units there. I lost quite some LSM's and brought in Horses every 4 turns from Thebes and Memphis.
I finally advanced with 4 LSM and 2 Trebuchets, replacing each LSM immediately. Al my horses I left as easy bite to keep my LSM's alive as long as possible. It took me for ages to pilage a horse tile. An iron tile I never found but one of his allies had 6 iron and 2 horses. For replacement money I also sold off quite some captured cities.

Corinth and Sparta in te meantime build walls and had strengths of 21 and 22. Athens was at 23. I finally managed on t149 with upgraded cannons. As the final screenshot shows all horses are gone, my cannons are damaged and I have 3 surviving LSM's.

So in the end: 149 minus 105: 45 turns to take out Alex!!!! Pheeeew

Mission completed

Great game killerloop! You went for Suleiman right after Delhi, which i couldn't do because he declared war on me with the Romans at the same time. I had to stay on defensive mode until Steel. Since the Romans were closer and a bit stronger, i took the south part first.

I could cut some turns if i didn't wait for a peace deal with Suly, but not that much. You would have beat me anyway. The double DoW was the principal problem.

Tx Tabarnak.

Let's see where Tommynt ends up at. He also needs to take out Alex with his (as he calls it) four unstoppable LSM's. I had 5, and lost them all (and more) to Alex!

In the end he's right. I was able to always have 4 LSM's pushing through Greece, but I definitely needed the help of my Trebs and HS's ;)

To say truth, I restarted this as i somehow wasnt up for a 20 turn walk.

Gave infos about my 1. try in runthrough, was like t90 with 2 civs to go - but pissed about myself to let the 2 far away civ last instead of near ones.
Noob mistake. In my 2nd playthrough (settled the Iron back India this time) its now turn 68 with 2 civs dead and 2 more dead in 5 turns - I m about 100% sure I could finish below 110t this time - maybe even below 100.
Its all up to the irons ... also managing my happyness better this game and therfore more growth and teching. Also allied a marritime and friendly with another. LS before t80 without GS - well I d finsih 100% below 100t.

Even loosing more units in attacks this time but with enough iron they get replaced so fast ...
I buyed like 15 uu last game when they suck ass

Whatever no matter.

Well maybe I finish my 1. playthrough - but I ragequit so fast in sp when things go wrong ...

but I ragequit so fast in sp when things go wrong ...

I have no problem with that :)

What have you done to kill 4 civs before turn 80? Did you settle the 6 iron tile right after Delhi? Because without this tile you can't multi-rush much, unless you get very lucky with cs quests. I guess you didn't get attacked by more than one civ at a time?

How did you tech Steel without a gs before turn 80? If i remember, i was still at 12-13 turns from Steel before i bulbed it, around turn 80.

I'm replaying from turn 18 (3rd hut) to look at an other strategy. Realise I popped a cult, pop and AH as my 1st 3 huts. I hesitated to go this way initially, but with my 2nd sttler so early I chose the "normal" way, also I hadn't discovered any luxes that time.
Why not go for a 2 city chopped NC, use GS for CS (+growth!!), found a 3rd city on a 3rd lux and hard tech Steel. Getting to steel before the 80's is doable, only iron comes in later then originally, so attacking starts later, but now simultaneously, as more iron is already hooked up. The 3-4 conquered capitals help you also in teching and if money/quest are available this helps teching as well.
From a killing sequence principle, I still think India-Otto-Darius makes sense, I probably now take Arab-Greece and finish with Rome & Mongol. Using less WC's and more horses will help as well.

Tommynt: what are your 4 civs you killed 1st in your 2nd try???

What have you done to kill 4 civs before turn 80? Did you settle the 6 iron tile right after Delhi? Because without this tile you can't multi-rush much, unless you get very lucky with cs quests. I guess you didn't get attacked by more than one civ at a time?

How did you tech Steel without a gs before turn 80? If i remember, i was still at 12-13 turns from Steel before i bulbed it, around turn 80.

Well I didnt get DoWed a single time - I dow myself ...
The only civ I try stay friendly with is Rome as it (like tecs) builds ALLWAYS like 20 warris and I m not interested in them.
fast tech to steel is proly because of a fast 2nd city (have had 2 cult huts) and a 3rd fast aswell.

And yes after my inital army was built I built a settler right away and settled few turns after killing of india (Gandhi defended well with lot uus) the 6 Iron tile.
Then I proceded with building a 2nd army for Arabia while my 1. goes on to ottos and persia (should fall with LS this time ...).
With Arab and Ottos and Mongols dead at about t70 I got 30t to kill Persia and greece and built a 3rd army for rome should be easy cake with LS

Game: C-IV GOTM 71 :crazyeye:
Date submitted: 2011-10-31
Your name: ElWanderer
Game date: 1804AD
Turns played: 272
Base score: 2430
Final score: 4500
Time played: 25:09:00
Submitted save: TSG21_ElWanderer_0272 AD-1804_Do.Civ5Save

I won, eventually, but the submission system doesn't seem to like me! I'm not sure why it thinks I was trying to submit to a Civ 4 GOTM :)

I'm attaching the save in case GOTM staff need it.

Attachments

• TSG21_ElWanderer_Domination.Civ5Save
    1.3 MB · Views: 46
I won, eventually, but the submission system doesn't seem to like me! I'm not sure why it thinks I was trying to submit to a Civ 4 GOTM :)

I'm attaching the save in case GOTM staff need it.
:goodjob: Thanks. We'll get on it.

Cheers :goodjob: Meanwhile, I guess I should type some of my progress up. This is what I wrote in the first spoiler thread:
Spoiler :
I've not played at immortal level before. I've never really gone out for a domination win from the beginning before either - my gameplay is more suited to quick teching. So this has turned into a right slog and I can't see myself finishing in time, unless maybe I go for a different victory condition.

Turn 175 and I'm about to capture a capital (Karakorum) at last, unless the constant waves of keshiks whittle down my riflemen too much. In this push I've lost three pikemen already; I'd love to have been able to upgrade them all to rifles beforehand but I just don't have the money. I am just about first in science, but way behind in most other aspects - I think my largest city is size 11, whereas Mecca is size 21. It's like I'm playing a completely different game to the AI, and to be honest it's not particularly enjoyable.

Historical events:
I settled on the riverside silver so I'd have an early luxury sale opportunity.
I didn't go for the Great Library early, on the grounds that I should avoid such luxuries. Ended up building it anyway after no one else did.
Caesar signed a research agreement with me on turn 58, then declared war five turns later.
I settled three additional cities then hit Legalism to get four free burial chambers.
Khan declared war on India, then shortly after declared war on me and Arabia in the same turn.
Because of the AI advantage in numbers, it took ~100 turns before either Caesar or Khan would make sensible peace offers. A few turns ago, I took a straight peace deal with Rome to focus on Mongolia.

I did build a war chariot but couldn't really see the point - it can move very quickly then shoot, at which point it's incredibly vulnerable to being counter-attacked by whatever you shot at. Somehow, I managed to keep mine alive and upgrade it to a knight.

Edit: played on two turns, captured Karakorum (with Hanging Gardens... pity the luxuries are copies of ones I already have) and idly clicked on Genghis to see what he'd offer for peace. ~500 gold, 89gpt, 4 luxuries and 2 cities. Crikey again. Will have to work out which cities I would take (one he's offered is a captured city state, I presume I could liberate it) and hammer out a deal next time I get the chance to play.

Other interesting events:

Turn ~180. Being at peace, I decided I should start a war for once, rather than being declared on, so went for Arabia who only had their capital left. This didn't go so well for various reasons - marching in aggressively, I lost three units to a hail of fire from crossbowmen/Mecca with the Himeji Castle. Open borders expired with Sulieman at that point, flinging three of his units into Arab territory, getting in the way. Most importantly, Augustus declared war on me (again), despite having just signed a research agreement with me (again). I diverted much of my army to fight his invasion, leaving the troops outside Mecca to die/flee. Eventually I took peace with Harun and signed a research agreement. Meanwhile, I slogged through to Rome and captured it.

Turn ~222. Alexander popped up and asked if I'd like to join him in a war with Arabia. I said yes and so it was time for round two. I let Alexander take a few casualties then flattened Mecca's defences with artillery and waltzed in with my troops. That wiped Arabia off the map and made various civs consider me a bit too warlike. About 8 turns later, Gandhi tried to join in the fun, by declaring war on the non-existant Arabs. Alexander must have asked him to declare war, and Gandhi chose the "wait 10 turns" option. 10 turns later, Arabia was no more, but it was declare war or annoy Alexander. This has been mentioned in the bugs forum: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=437647

Shortly after that war, I smashed through Greece to capture Athens, and did the same to Gandhi.

Turn ~250. Augustus finishes the Manhatten Project, and has 4 uranium. I buy the uranium off him (3 luxuries and ~15gpt) so he can't build anything. This is a wake-up call that if I don't get a move on, Sulieman and Darius (who are the only remaining capital holders) will build nukes and make the endgame much more annoying. A few turns later, I research satellites and... oh my, how much uranium does Darius have access to?!!! He had built Ecbatana on top of a source, had two others by his capital and an allied city state almost grabbed him a fourth. This set off a wacky race as I declared on both Sulieman and Darius (who were already at war with eachother) and set off trying to capture the uranium sources and capitals before Darius could back his words with nuclear weapons. By this point it was very experienced mech infantry and rocket artillery versus bog-standard infantry and artillery (and Darius's big fleet of aircraft-less aircraft carriers :rolleyes:) so it didn't take too long to munch my way through.

Top Bottom