Darkhour Reality

Darkhour

Warlord
DARKHOURS REALITY

There were early brutal wars in ancient history.. something CiV or many mods do not replicate. This mod goes to put more fun back into the early game by giving the player more to do, more to fight and more to build without changing too much from the original vanilla game. Wage war and exact tribute or sit back and build your wonders, but remember to defend yourself and keep a gold cache handy.

Darkhours Reality Mod!
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=442785

Version History

v.5:

• added and modified Arbogli's Random Events mod (incorporating Bhuric's Treegrowth mod)
  • increased forest cutting time and decreased production output

v.4:

• decreased culture spread cost
  • unit experience costs increased
  • increased palace science bonus
  • fixed dlc compatibility for starting terrain/bonus general

v.3:

• changed raging barbarian % up
  • added mysticism and code of laws techs and moved currency, engineering and compass into classical era (thanks to Alzara and Whoward)
  • moved defensive pacts from chivalry to Code of Laws
  • moved research agreements from philosophy to archaeology
  • integrated cobalt_blue's Strategic Availability mod
  • moved pyramids to pottery

v.2

• Fixed a major crash on reload of saved game
  • Modified a few existing variables

v.1

• Lots of tweaks with AI to affect reduction of military units, peace, war, grand/military/economic strategies with early emphasis on war in close proximity.
  • Warmonger fix: swapped the leader numbers around so that instead of warmongers angering peaceful civs, warmongers should now anger other warmonger civs and vice versa.
  • Population now consumes 3 food each.
  • Food yields for resources have increased across the board to compensate for population consumption usually by +1.
  • City food yield increased to 3 and City production increased to 2
  • Cities have lower initial defence but they scale more rapidly with population growth and garrisoned units.
  • Barbarians are more aggressive.
  • Policies are unlocked from the start game which gives a better early game.
  • Gold production is now unlocked at Mining Tech.
  • Civs now start in locations better suited to their historical region.
  • Healing has been downgraded and healing promotion removed.
  • Scouts have moved to Archery Tech.
  • Civs now start with a Great General.
  • Palace now gives +1 food and palace science bonus removed.
  • Changed and increased speed of border growth to show 'kingdom territory' in early game, not just late game.
  • Changed happiness to affect population more and number of cities less (occupied also).
  • New Town Hall building that is free with each new city which gives +1 culture.
  • Using cephalos Perfectworld map script and modified it slightly with the aim to replicate the more historically accurate forest coverage of earth thousands of years ago and modified rainfall amount which affects mainly the creation of rivers.
  • Decrease time to cut forests and build roads.
  • Increased production bonus of cutting forests and AI doing so.
  • Decreased experience earned in combat.
  • Cities now have a range of 3 hexes and power of ranged attack decreased.

Install:
The same way automatically through the modbrowser or by unzipping mod into Mod directory. Then load mod in your modbrowser list and start a new game using the Darkhour Perfectworld mapscript (dont get confused with the normal perfectworld map if loaded also). I tend to play large map with 15 civs and 10 citystates also by default, but obviously this is a personal choice.

Credit:
Thanks to all the awesome Civ modders out there who have directly and indirectly helped - cephalo, cobalt_blue, whoward, alzara, spatz, sambc.

Download:
Is available on the online CiV modbrowser.

It would be good if I could get test feedback on this.. specifically if anyone has any general or gameplay issues and in particular the late game plays, as its designed to primarily help make the early game more interesting.. So if anyone, even if you don't think you like the above changes, just have a try and let me know your thoughts..

Cheers
Darkhour

You make this by tweaking xml and lua files ?

I will try your realism mod in next version

Could you expand on this please?

sure Pouakai.. fixed the wording in the original post..

i took cephalo's awesome mapscript, which already done an amazing job at creating realistic maps, and modified a few variables to up the forest coverage for more historical accuracy (and changed the rainfall percentage also) and then so as not to overwhelm the map, lowered the time to cut forest and raised the production output to make it worthwhile to clear the forests.

Edit: I have re-uploaded v.1 above for continuity between new versions, because I changed the mod id trying to get the mod uploaded.

Got off to a good start: a cow, an elephant, a dye, + a floodplain (I think). Popped a culture hut early on so got a worker quite early, followed by a settler from Liberty which I plopped down on top of a fox den on a coastal tile near a fish & another fox den. Had 3 warriors & was working on the 3rd settler when I popped a goody hut for a whopping 50g. I tried reloading from the game & got an insta-crash. So I went to the Main Menu and tried to reload the game (like you have to do for VEM) and still got an insta-crash. So -- bottom line -- I guess the mod would be OK if you could play it.

Got off to a good start: a cow, an elephant, a dye, + a floodplain (I think). Popped a culture hut early on so got a worker quite early, followed by a settler from Liberty which I plopped down on top of a fox den on a coastal tile near a fish & another fox den. Had 3 warriors & was working on the 3rd settler when I popped a goody hut for a whopping 50g. I tried reloading from the game & got an insta-crash. So I went to the Main Menu and tried to reload the game (like you have to do for VEM) and still got an insta-crash. So -- bottom line -- I guess the mod would be OK if you could play it.

Hi wcbarney.. will look into it.. did you have any other mods loaded at the time?

I had InfoAddict; I think that was the only one. No, maybe I had the mod that took away the nasty maps from goodie huts.

ok mcbarney, give it another go now..

version 2 is now uploaded and reload crash is now fixed.. ;)

v.2

• Fixed a major crash on reload of saved game
  • Modified a few existing variables

version 3 is now online for download in the CiV modbrowser..

Version History

v.3:

• changed raging barbarian % up
  • added mysticism and code of laws techs and moved currency, engineering and compass into classical era (thanks to Alzara and Whoward)
  • moved defensive pacts from chivalry to Code of Laws
  • moved research agreements from philosophy to archaeology
  • integrated cobalt_blue's Strategic Availability mod
  • moved pyramids to pottery

I have been playing this mod a bit and I have to say I've been enjoying myself. What I really like:
- The barbarians are really giving a challenge, but they're not as overpowered as in the DonMarty's Mod. Really nice. I use Raging barbarians by the way.
- The early policies unlock is giving a nice kick start, keep it this way.
- The changed happiness to the population instead of number of cities is really encouraging conquest, and city razing of occupied city down to one population. It makes the mod really good for a fight oriented game.

What I'm not sure about the mod:
- The decreased experience in combat makes it frustrating to lose a unit that have fought tens of fights and should in all fairness be a real veteran. I have noticed a gain of +1 XP for each fight. This is really low and would deserve to be tweaked a bit higher.
- The palace science bonus removed, I like the defautl value myself giving a small boost of research in early game.
- Scouts moved to archery tech, it's a bit late I think. I like exploring early, but it does also add a strategic choice to g for Archery to get the unit, even though it may not be worth the bother really.

Keep it up, like this mod!

I have been playing this mod a bit and I have to say I've been enjoying myself. What I really like:
- The barbarians are really giving a challenge, but they're not as overpowered as in the DonMarty's Mod. Really nice. I use Raging barbarians by the way.
- The early policies unlock is giving a nice kick start, keep it this way.
- The changed happiness to the population instead of number of cities is really encouraging conquest, and city razing of occupied city down to one population. It makes the mod really good for a fight oriented game.

What I'm not sure about the mod:
- The decreased experience in combat makes it frustrating to lose a unit that have fought tens of fights and should in all fairness be a real veteran. I have noticed a gain of +1 XP for each fight. This is really low and would deserve to be tweaked a bit higher.
- The palace science bonus removed, I like the defautl value myself giving a small boost of research in early game.
- Scouts moved to archery tech, it's a bit late I think. I like exploring early, but it does also add a strategic choice to g for Archery to get the unit, even though it may not be worth the bother really.

Keep it up, like this mod!

Cheers DibGoodVibes! Good to see that with over 1000 downloads on the CiV modbrowser and 30+ likes in the last few weeks, someone has taken some time to leave feedback.

On the pros. I did a fair bit of experimenting with barbarians and feel its a nice balance. Policies unlocked really helps to develop your own style of game without limitations imo. With the happiness I really wanted to make war and conquest viable and realistic without artificial too much of a limitation..

On the cons. I will look at modifying the experience gained in the next update. The aim was to not make super veteran units that only the human player has (because they save their units from dying more so than the AI). The palace research i will look at also for next update. The deal with scouts at archery is as you said. You want em, research em. You do however get a free general to offset this. The AI will camp their general but the human player can use their general to explore. With aggressive barbarians its more risky but possible. Ill prob leave this one as is for the moment.

On the cons. I will look at modifying the experience gained in the next update. The aim was to not make super veteran units that only the human player has (because they save their units from dying more so than the AI). The palace research i will look at also for next update. The deal with scouts at archery is as you said. You want em, research em. You do however get a free general to offset this. The AI will camp their general but the human player can use their general to explore. With aggressive barbarians its more risky but possible. Ill prob leave this one as is for the moment.

I agree on the super veterans, but in my opinion you went a wee bit too far ;). For the other two cons I listed they're just related to the way I like playing, but it's in no way annoying.

Darkhour-

Just picked up this mod this morning (my first mod!) as I was looking for something that expanded the early game (which is when I have the most fun in civ5). So far, I'm loving what you've done!

My favorite thing so far:
Bronze-Working revealing Iron on the map. Makes it so much easier to plan acquisitions towards that critical early resource!

One odd occurrence: I chose Babylon and found myself with no General to start. No big deal, but I thought it strange considering even the city-states got generals! (For the record, I have no other mods, but all the scenario/civ packs).

Darkhour-

Just picked up this mod this morning (my first mod!) as I was looking for something that expanded the early game (which is when I have the most fun in civ5). So far, I'm loving what you've done!

My favorite thing so far:
Bronze-Working revealing Iron on the map. Makes it so much easier to plan acquisitions towards that critical early resource!

One odd occurrence: I chose Babylon and found myself with no General to start. No big deal, but I thought it strange considering even the city-states got generals! (For the record, I have no other mods, but all the scenario/civ packs).

cheers cawshis, iron is definitely important. I'll fix up the Babylonian dlc with the next update.. should be out within the day. If you find anything else let me know.

ok version 4 has now been uploaded.. :)

Version History

v.4:

• decreased culture spread cost
  • unit experience costs increased
  • increased palace science bonus
  • fixed dlc compatibility for starting terrain/bonus general

Darkhour, this is a great mod. Love it! You have made many of the changes I had tried to make myself. About v. 4 -

v.4:
decreased culture spread cost
unit experience costs increased
increased palace science bonus
fixed dlc compatibility for starting terrain/bonus general

The 1st and 3rd I had done myself. with more science bonus than you had added.
What did you do with "experience costs"? Can't see a difference.

Kastania

only glitches i had was graphic glitch where couple black patches around a city.

Joey

Top Bottom