Wainy's Let's Play Deity - The Generic Conquest Victory

w a i n y

Let's Play Deity!
Thought the Longsword rush was nerfed into the ground? Think again! To ramp up the excitement, this time around I'm going for a generic conquest victory - no unique traits allowed!

For those of you who don't prowl the strategy forums, I've been doing deity videos for a few months now, and I thought this time I'd reach out to people who have a bit less experience with the game. If you like the videos, please subscribe, or check out the strategy forums since that's where I usually post these announcements. Also, make sure to ask questions if you don't understand anything.

Check it out! http://www.youtube.com/user/Wainyciv#p/a/u/0/mSArmeI5r8k

Been waiting for that one. P:
Ottomans are kinda week in this game since theres not much of naval combat with the AI, but we'll see. (EDIT: Ah I see what you did thar...) Good luck. P:

Been waiting for that one. P:
Ottomans are kinda week in this game since theres not much of naval combat with the AI, but we'll see. (EDIT: Ah I see what you did thar...) Good luck. P:

There unique ability isn''t pure military if you have a lot of tiremes that means you can meat a lot of people early without to wait for astronomy

There unique ability isn''t pure military if you have a lot of tiremes that means you can meat a lot of people early without to wait for astronomy

But that doesn't get around the problem of having to cross ocean tiles to get to the other continents. Also, who has time to build triremes when they're fighting for their life :lol:

You always leave out Conquistadors when you mention the best Knight units. IMO, as good as Keshiks because of the sight and no penalty attacking cities. Better when you include the defensive embarking and the city settling.

Of course, this has absolutely nothing to do with your game..... /diversion.

You always leave out Conquistadors when you mention the best Knight units. IMO, as good as Keshiks because of the sight and no penalty attacking cities. Better when you include the defensive embarking and the city settling.

Of course, this has absolutely nothing to do with your game..... /diversion.

Well, no unit in the game is as good as the Keshik, in terms of what you can accomplish single-handedly with that one type of unit. But you're right, I totally forgot about Conquistadors. I've never used them, actually. If they lack the penalty against cities, that makes them as good as mandekalu cavalry, anyway. (But are they more expensive?)

It would have been more interesting if you had modified your strategy in the first attempt, after seeing that you were so close to both Alex and Oda. Often if you immediately abandon what you are currently doing and research Archery so that you can defend your city with at least 2 archers (probably one built and one bought) and your original warrior you can stave off Oda's early warrior rush. However, doing this will obviously derail your original strategy. But for me this is probably the most typical scenario for a deity game, with best laid plans being dashed by early DoWs.

Your third attempt will be interesting in the later game, to see how you deal with continents, but the start is somewhat atypical with so much iron available plus no really aggressive civs nearby. Polynesia won't be a challenge, and neither will Mongolia since the AI has no idea how to use keshiks.

It would have been more interesting if you had modified your strategy in the first attempt, after seeing that you were so close to both Alex and Oda.
They weren't very close, but yeah, it were Alex and Oda, with Alex rapidly expanding in Istanbul's direction. Early war almost guaranteed.

I'm not a patient enough guy to watch all those long Let's Play videos, but it looks to me like W A I N Y is going Liberty almost without thinking.
What I find strange, W A I N Y, is that while still choosing Liberty, you would want to stick to one city for a while for the National College. Isn't Liberty about a quick start?
Liberty certainly is the policy that leaves you most exposed when faced with an early war. Tradition and Honour both have things that help.

Another little point, W A I N Y, if you care about pronounciation, it's Edinbra (with a short 'a'). One of the most beautiful cities in the world, if that matters. Expensive beer, though.

They weren't very close, but yeah, it were Alex and Oda, with Alex rapidly expanding in Istanbul's direction. Early war almost guaranteed.

I'm not a patient enough guy to watch all those long Let's Play videos, but it looks to me like W A I N Y is going Liberty almost without thinking.
What I find strange, W A I N Y, is that while still choosing Liberty, you would want to stick to one city for a while for the National College. Isn't Liberty about a quick start?
Liberty certainly is the policy that leaves you most exposed when faced with an early war. Tradition and Honour both have things that help.

Yes, but those are minor bonuses. Liberty's bonuses last you through the game. The reason I delay the second city is that for this strategy only, I can get to the National College fast enough to make it worth my while to build it with one city. However, I think I'll try going for the National College after my second city, and build warriors in my first city before metal casting comes due. It will be cheaper productionwise but take longer to get to Steel.

Another little point, W A I N Y, if you care about pronounciation, it's Edinbra (with a short 'a'). One of the most beautiful cities in the world, if that matters. Expensive beer, though.

Touché.

Hey W a i n y, nice LP as always. One question though: What happens if you don't manage to get the Great Library? Would you go for the Oracle Instead just to take the Scientist Points? Or maybe get to the Hagia Sophia as fast as you can, in order to get a Great Scientist from there?

Hey W a i n y, nice LP as always. One question though: What happens if you don't manage to get the Great Library? Would you go for the Oracle Instead just to take the Scientist Points? Or maybe get to the Hagia Sophia as fast as you can, in order to get a Great Scientist from there?

No, the whole point of going for the Oracle is to finish liberty quickly to get a GS to bulb steel. The Hagia Sophia is an alternate way to achieve the same effect.

Good stuff on working tiles and maximizing production. I've gotten the GL 2 of 2 so far - if anything this made the video worth the watch:goodjob:

archery or even masonry.

not trying to properly defend yourself while trying to chase the big shiney GL, then re-rolling when it all goes bad... well, it just seems a bit.....

I know you dont do this for hints and tips but you could scout a touch more effectively, terrain wise. also, i find that when starting out scouting, if i come apon an enemy unit, it is often best to head in the opposite direction. you miss out on pin pointing their cities but the remaining ruins, or CS's, will not be in the direction that the AI unit came.

whit part of the country you fae, pal?

'ed-in-burr-a'

cant stand the place myself, its the accent. soaked in history though, and the castle.

Yes, but those are minor bonuses. Liberty's bonuses last you through the game.

More-so than tradition or honour's? Quicker settler build time is only useful early on generally and quicker worker speed is pretty marginal considering how many workers you end up getting in any conflict with the ai or through stumbling across barbs holding them. Some of the other bonuses are useful if you have enough cities, but the policies don't exactly help you get to the point at which you have enough cities to make it valuable and if you have that many cities then chances are you are already dominating in the game.

Top Bottom