MadDjinn's Deity LP - England

MadDjinn

Deity
patch .383, PC, no mods

So here it is. Map 5 was the eventual choice, though the map script is a bit flawed. (Standard sized Continents map, standard speed)

We're very isolated, and my neighbour is annoying. So I balance that out (lack of early sales/RAs/etc) with the bad map script.

I will eventually describe a better way to start on this type of map (vs. what I did). Unfortunately, this series really shows some major flaws in the AI, rather than how best to play England if the AI knew what it was doing.

oh, if anyone is wondering, I turned off the music as I'm getting tired of the Music industry group claiming ads on the videos. (The silent video got tagged as copyrighted IP, and the only sounds were from the game)

Enjoy.

Link to video.

Can't wait to see the rest of the videos! :D

I think England Deserve a second LP to show the normal play style, ie. 4-4 or 3-5

MadDjinn, you lucky devil. You started on your own little island, which means your cities will virtually never be under siege. You also had the oppertunity to research all the way up to navigation. If you upgrade your trireremes and rush a few longbowmen, you'll be set to start conquering the Danes (or perhaps another, weaker "colony"). If you can delay rifling, you can get yourself a few heavily upgraded riflemen with march and logistics.

What I don't understand, however, is why you took the honor tree instead of anything else. In the vid you said you wanted your upgrades to be faster and cheaper, but isn't taking such an "old" policy tree near the middle of the game a waste of culture points? If I were in your shoes (assuming you want to go for domination) I'd pick rationalism instead, ensuring you have a technological advancement. No matter how much upgrades a longswordsman may have, a rifle will whoop his ass in almost any circumstance (unless the circumstances specifically conspire against the rifleman. For example, if the rifleman unit is standing on a marsh, isn't fortified, is damaged and the longswordsman has Shock III).

What I don't understand, however, is why you took the honor tree instead of anything else. In the vid you said you wanted your upgrades to be faster and cheaper, but isn't taking such an "old" policy tree near the middle of the game a waste of culture points? If I were in your shoes (assuming you want to go for domination) I'd pick rationalism instead, ensuring you have a technological advancement. No matter how much upgrades a longswordsman may have, a rifle will whoop his ass in almost any circumstance (unless the circumstances specifically conspire against the rifleman. For example, if the rifleman unit is standing on a marsh, isn't fortified, is damaged and the longswordsman has Shock III).

In this case, it's not that easy.

As per Honour - Naval units get very little XP per shot and need to have Range and/or Logistics to survive. So Military Tradition makes sense. The upgrade costs are huge for Navies as well. Upgrading an SotL to a Destroyer costs ~420g each.

If I wanted to play purely peaceful, then yeah, going Rationalism would be the choice. If I wanted to ignore navies, then it would also be good. As is, you really have to choose between the two, due to the costs (upgrading from a trireme to SotL is the same cost as an RA at the time).

The problem is he's not really set up to take advantage of Rationalism. He didn't know any other civs until quite recently so RAs weren't possible, and now that he has met them he needs the money for upgrades. The rest of Rationalism's policies are pretty dependent on having universities up, which I think he has 0 of at this time. Really, the only more modern policy trees that are even competitive in the empire he's set up would be Commerce or Piety->Organized Religion, neither of which is nearly as good for getting SotLs up and going as Professional Army.

"normal" as being on a continent with 2-4 AIs around, not getting Great Library, setting up an empire and tech to get to Machinery, and using longbow as the backbone of the army instead of navy focus.

I tried a game while waiting for you to upload, turns out that the choice between research agreement and archor upgrade is very difficult to pull off at the same time.

"normal" as being on a continent with 2-4 AIs around, not getting Great Library, setting up an empire and tech to get to Machinery, and using longbow as the backbone of the army instead of navy focus.

I tried a game while waiting for you to upload, turns out that the choice between research agreement and archor upgrade is very difficult to pull off at the same time.

well, sure, I'd give you 'normal' on the map, but not the rest.

archers to Longbows cost about 170g I think. Still cuts into the RA budget pretty heavily, but not quite as much as upgrading ships. It's also easier to just straight build Longbows, as you can get the Ironworks going at about the same time. (give or take when you grab metal casting for the workshops)

Can you explain me why you suddenly stopped scouting for civs with your trireme that was down south near the danes? I think you went home to get some xp from those barbs around there but there where other triremes that needed xp as well am I wrong? Giving up the chance to meet other civs for some xp on one trireme seemed odd to me. Or did I miss something completely?

Danish borders blocked his way and triremes cannot enter the ocean.

Yeah but that's not worth 50 gold? Well it's like gambling i guess so i see the point but i would have bought open borders at that point.

do you have the save for this, MadDjinn?

thats a shame i didnt get a reply.

how come.. when you hit the button thats says 'continue my journey', right at the very start, there is a clear hex between your warrior and your settler? and on that very first turn you get to move your settler but not your warrior??? this doesnt happen in my games.

this isnt another WAINEY 'generic deity game' play along is it? (aslong as i cook the Gl in my favour or ill quit game?)

i cant believe it is, not after GOTM 19 as the germans.

at about 4mins 17 secs.

apologies for the agro if this was part of your map rolling vote thing...

im all for these deity play alongs, unless i sniff cooking :) no offense.

how come.. when you hit the button thats says 'continue my journey', right at the very start, there is a clear hex between your warrior and your settler? and on that very first turn you get to move your settler but not your warrior??? this doesnt happen in my games.

It's clearly a loaded save, the warrior had already been moved.

this isnt another WAINEY 'generic deity game' play along is it? (aslong as i cook the Gl in my favour or ill quit game?)

You can't stop being objectionable, can you? What, you don't believe that you can actually get the GL on deity? If I were Maddjinn, I wouldn't respond to this kind of crap, either.

Top Bottom