Civ5 Archer Template WIP

bernie14

Filter Manipulator
Here is what i have so far. The body bones are pretty easy, but I just can't seem to get the bow or string to work (I am sure danrell or Deliverator could fix this is one second ;) :sad: )

the attachment includes the dds's, an fxsxml file for quick testing, and my latest gr2, fbx and blend.....

Hope someone can help, so we can convert more units

Attachments

• Archer Template WIP.zip
    193.8 KB · Views: 53
does the bow have its own bone? have you tried rigging it to the hand?

no, the bow dont have it's own bone, i did assign it to the left hand at some point.... but now that ive been working on another template, i think i went "adj" crazy with the archer.....i will give the archer another go when i finish up the longswordsman template...here is a little tease...

nice!

So how do you map what the bone structure is? I see world and character in there for leaderheads.

I tried an export with shaka but he didn't show. I think its because you have to add a camera bone to the model because we don/t/can't do nifswaps with civ5 leaderheads

Well a longswordsman in an archer thread is a bit off topic, but looking good :goodjob:

Seriously though, do you happen to have plans to create a javelin/pilum thrower at some point? zenspiderz created a legion with pilum throw added for civ4, which was wonderful, but there is also a need for a dedicated javelin thrower too.

nice!

So how do you map what the bone structure is? I see world and character in there for leaderheads.

I tried an export with shaka but he didn't show. I think its because you have to add a camera bone to the model because we don/t/can't do nifswaps with civ5 leaderheads

the LH bone structure fro civ5 looks crazy complex.....have you been able to see how the bones are connected in asset viewer or granny viewer?

AFAIK, at least with the units, all the bones that are named for that particular unit need to be named correctly in your blender/3dmax model, although not neccessarily assigned to vertices....and the "world" needs to be named exactly (case sensitive) was well in the fbx export....to tell you the truth, i really havent looked into the LH bones in any great detail....

Well a longswordsman in an archer thread is a bit off topic, but looking good :goodjob:

Seriously though, do you happen to have plans to create a javelin/pilum thrower at some point? zenspiderz created a legion with pilum throw added for civ4, which was wonderful, but there is also a need for a dedicated javelin thrower too.

dont know how to make any custom animations for civ5.....danrell may know more about this than i....

the LH bone structure fro civ5 looks crazy complex.....have you been able to see how the bones are connected in asset viewer or granny viewer?

AFAIK, at least with the units, all the bones that are named for that particular unit need to be named correctly in your blender/3dmax model, although not neccessarily assigned to vertices....and the "world" needs to be named exactly (case sensitive) was well in the fbx export....to tell you the truth, i really havent looked into the LH bones in any great detail....

I tried looking in grannyviewer but -and its probably my fault - I cant see how the hierarchy is.

I was planning to start small just get a head, arms, body etc rigged. Just a few bones like 10 bones max It would look ugly in game but it would be a start on trying o see if we can actually get something in there and the lighting to work etc.

dont know how to make any custom animations for civ5.....danrell may know more about this than i....

supposedy you can import civ4 animations but I think people said they seem off.

I tried looking in grannyviewer but -and its probably my fault - I cant see how the hierarchy is.

I was planning to start small just get a head, arms, body etc rigged. Just a few bones like 10 bones max It would look ugly in game but it would be a start on trying o see if we can actually get something in there and the lighting to work etc.

i took a look at a couple of LH models in both granny and asset viewer....it is very hard to see the individual names of the bones and how they line up.....

some good news, i can tell you that at least with the units, not all the bones need to be present in the fbx/gr2 for the unit to animate....i eliminated the "faceplate" bone in the longswordsman blender file, assigned verteces to the head (neck2 i think for this unit) and exported....it animated ok in asset viewer...cant say the same about materials, cuz i havent exported any files with multiple materials and the LHs have a bunch of them, i think Deliverator had been sucessfull in making a gr2 with multiple materials but he has not posted on these topics for a while...

OT: still cant get the darn bow to work, despite various changes to bone assignments, inclusion/exculsion of "adjustment" bones, etc.....:confused:

What does it look like when it doesn't work?

i took a look at a couple of LH models in both granny and asset viewer....it is very hard to see the individual names of the bones and how they line up.....

some good news, i can tell you that at least with the units, not all the bones need to be present in the fbx/gr2 for the unit to animate....i eliminated the "faceplate" bone in the longswordsman blender file, assigned verteces to the head (neck2 i think for this unit) and exported....it animated ok in asset viewer...cant say the same about materials, cuz i havent exported any files with multiple materials and the LHs have a bunch of them, i think Deliverator had been sucessfull in making a gr2 with multiple materials but he has not posted on these topics for a while...

That is good news. Maybe if I forgo the moving face muscles and make a leaderhead that just moves the body and arms but the head (except eyes) is fixed it would be a good start.

Does everything start with WORLD ->character ???

What does it look like when it doesn't work?

just like the pic up top, the bow does move about with the left hand if i associate it's vertices with it, but the bow and string do not bend when he is firing....

That is good news. Maybe if I forgo the moving face muscles and make a leaderhead that just moves the body and arms but the head (except eyes) is fixed it would be a good start.

Does everything start with WORLD ->character ???

take a look at some of the unit templates' outliner windows....what i have noticed is that if you dont get the root/world name exactly (case sensitive) right on export to fbx, the unit will not animate is asset viewer

Top Bottom