Realpolitik: Populus Repraesentativum

Tambien

Theseus, Duke of Athens
Here are the rules of the game:

-We are playing Rome on RFC(BTS 3.19).

- I as host reserve the right to veto any action any player wishes to undertake. To consolidate the stability of the AAR, to stop interference with the normal functioning of the thread or simply because I feel like it. Don't mess with The Man.

- Rule #1 of Realpolitik: Democracy is absolute. Even when the Nazis or communists are elected into office, they will still have to answer to the opposition and face elections every thirty turns.

- Any member is free to establish or join a political party of his choice. A member can only be member of one party at a time, although he is free to switch allegiance whenever he sees fit.

- I am going to ask everyone to use their own nicknames at all times when playing or in story updates they write. This is to avoid confusion.

- Every thirty in-game turns an election shall be held, the first election will be in about one week. During the week, I'll grant the right to all parties to organize, unite and campaign to get as many people as they can to vote. Note that everyone registered on the CivFanatics forums is eligible to vote and note that, until summer, most updates will be on the weekend(EST time).

- Parties are allowed to form coalitions. At the end of an election, all votes are tallied and the party or coalition with the largest amount of votes wins the election.

- The parties that did not win will be sent to opposition, where they can comment on the policy of the leading faction. I will monitor opposition closely, and the leading players have to understand that failing to appease the public will lead to us penalizing out nation in-game (improvement deletion, raised unhappiness). It is therefore very important to listen to the public. Please note that there can be more than one opposition. If you feel shortchanged by the current Opposition you can start your own. But be careful, the more splitting up happens the weaker the opposition gets.

- If the opposition is strong enough, they can call for a General Strike, a Vote of No Confidence, an Assassination, or if things get REALLY ugly, an Armed Revolution.

-Please note that Assassinations are not limited to the opposition, anyone can order them.

- The winning party or coalition will come into office the in-game update after the elections. They must put together, before elections close, a complete cabinet encompassing 3 positions: President, Foreign Minister, and the Domestic Minister. One person may hold more then one position, but you must have at least three people. The President may be the foreign minister. Beyond that you may mix and match as you will.

Roles:
This list is arranged in the order of succession - if the President is assassinated, move to the VP, if he is then the Foreign, etc. etc. Any new position the president creates will be added in another list.
President: Creates the basic plan and manages the workers and improvements. He is the governor of the Capital Region. Sets priorities for Governors and can order governors to build military units. He is the Commander in Chief of the army. He can negotiate with foreigners, but if he does he risks assassination. He can also create new positions or take any away(except for the core ones).
Foreign Minister: Negotiates with foreign leaders. He risks assassination if he does so, but the risk is minimal. If the President has not responded to PMs or posted for 3 days he can become the Acting Prez. If he becomes the Acting VP he gets all the responsibilities and powers of both the Foreign Minister and the Prez.
Domestic Minister: Serves in a mainly advisory role on policies, improvements, and what buildings to build in cities. Has no power unless he is also a Governor. Same for hiatus thing.
Governors: They decide specific builds for their cities. The President may order them to build a military unit, and they must comply with this order. They can also be issued Tactical Command of all forces fighting near them if the military ministers would rather not micro everything. If the unannounced hiatus crisis gets as far as here the governors, starting with the largest population city and going down to the smallest, shall ascend and fill the positions of President, VP, and FM ONLY. If a governor doesn’t post or respond to PMs for 3 days the President may appoint an Acting Governor.

Presidentially Created Positions:
None Yet

- The President may only issue general orders. I.E. "Moscow build Culturally, but no wonders." The military ministers may give specific orders for existing military forces upgrading and redeploying and such. The Domestic Minister advises the President and the Governors on buildings and wonders to build and policies to choose and improvements to prioritize. The Foreign Minister exists to meet with and negotiate with foreign leaders and NPC figures. The President MAY negotiate with them, but to leave the Capital is to risk assassination.

- After the first turnset (15 turns) of a President's reign comes the midterm elections for governors. The elections work similarly to the Presidential elections, save that every player only has one vote and may only contribute to one race. NPCs will vote only in their own Region. NPCs may run for Governorships. Governors rule geographical regions in the Empire and can decide on specific build orders for their Regions. The President is automatically the governor of the Capital Region. You may be a Minister and a Governor(Exception: The President), but you may not be Governor of more then one Region at a time. Governor terms last 30 turns, meaning you'll have to put up with the previous group of governors for a while, at least . . . .

- NPC voters are divided into the Districts of each Region. Each District is worth at least a single vote in either midterm or presidential elections. Districts do not vote until the final day of the elections, though projections will be brought up to demonstrate likelihoods beforehand. Each region has issues and the party that pledges to fulfill their wishes will receive their votes. On election day, based on the strength of your get-out-and-vote campaign Districts might produce more votes.

- If your coalition carries the majority of Districts in a Region, then you receive an extra vote per District you carried.

- The buildings built in cities, the units near them, and the improvements around them will play a major role in determining the makeup of the voting population in Regions.

- NPC organizations may form, and these organizations will put forward candidates for governor of various regions. These governors will have their own traits, so the Politicians might want to watch the various races closely and contribute to slide favorable candidates into office.

- Colonial Territories and Occupied cities will also have Governors appointed by the President. That failing, NPC groups may take over, and their intentions may not be to build a city loyal to the Realpolitik Republic . . . .

-If the President wants to he can order that two or more cities be combined into a Province, however, there must be at least two Cities/Provinces at all times. Note that this might cause voters to become unhappy and their unhappy level will be determined randomly. A province has only one governor. He is elected the same way normal governors and has the same powers as a normal governor. The only way Province Governor is different from City Governor is that the Governor of a Province is responsible for running all cities in his province.

-The people of two or more cities may petition the government to create a province. The same as above applies to this. If the government refuses the petition it will create unhappiness in the cities that petition, but the severity of the unhappiness will be determined randomly.

- An independent (non-party) candidate can run for any position save that of the President of the Republic. To run for office, simply state as much in the thread. NPCs (non-player-characters) may vote for you going into a specific position rather then vote for a President. Note that a vote for an Independent still counts as one of your votes.

- Elections can be ended early if one side concedes defeat, but their starting opposition strength will be lowered and they will gain it much slower.

- Every reader has two votes in the presidential elections. Putting in two votes for a single party is not allowed. However, if parties want to play it smart they'll seek coalition with a like-minded party so players can put two votes into their front.

- The host (Tambien) retains full rights to ban any party that has violated these rules. Spamming parties, parties using a complaint generator, parties inciting hate, parties that are found obtrusive for the normal functioning of this thread or parties that plain tick him off will be banned from the elections indefinitely.

- Please refrain from PMing me for every Realpolitik-related issue. Alternatives are using the profile visitor comments, or simple commenting in the thread.

- You cannot change your vote once it is cast, but you can withdraw your party from a coalition and join another one mid-elections.

- True Player Measure- If you only arrive to vote in elections, and come and vote every election but never post in between, then you are going to have your votes taken away because you obviously don't have a stake in the game. In order to get them back, you need to be an active player - even if not the most active - and remain active up to and through an election where you have no voting rights. That's right. You have to prove that you're here to play, not just to vote for a friend. I will be paying strict attention to all lurker voters in the future and adding their names to this list as they qualify.

- Major Party Rule- A leader (or member) of a Party cannot put himself forward for the position of President unless he has another member (not counting himself) within his own party. He can, however, run for any lower position if he so wishes.

- If you have an issue about my Moderating, contact me through PMs. Please do not feel afraid to bring issues to my attention. If you can talk to me but choose not to for whatever reason and instead “take an issue into your own hands” I can guarantee that you’ll get nowhere with me.

- By voting, joining a party or performing any other form of interaction with this AAR, you declare that you have read and understood all these rules to the letter. I don't want to be a jerk guys, so keep it clean!

Administrations:
-Tambien Administration
Dem Taqat Administration
President: Dem Taqat
Domestic Minister: Red_Spy
Foreign Minister: West India Man

Opposition Leader(OPLDR): Tycho
Opposition Strength Rating(OSR): - Moderate

- Insignificant

- Weak

- Minor

- Moderate

- Noticeable

- Fairly Strong

- Strong

- Dangerous

- Murderous

Opposition Actions:

General Strike - Basic action. Must be declared in thread by opposition leader. Based on the strength of the opposition, a certain number of cities will be selected for coin flips. Heads=get off scat-free. Tails=all production shut down. Number of cities depends on opposition strength.

Assassination - Any player may order an assassination of another politician or of an NPC, but if the assassin is successful then evidence always surfaces that reveals who ordered the action. Tread lightly. These assassinations, if successful, will remove the target from play for one turnset if a PC or opposing Immortal, permanently if a true NPC. If a minister is Assassinated, he is removed from office for the duration of his injuries.

Vote of No Confidence - Action that the Opposition Leader can take. Calls on the President to hold a reelection. I may step in depending on the circumstances, however, for one side or the other.

Sabotage - Basic action. May destroy a random province improvement. To perform, ANY player must PM me with the target city and improvement(or leave it up to me) and I will flip a coin for odds of success. Whether it fails or succeeds, I flip a coin again to decide if the President discovers evidence leading back to the instigator of the action.

Kidnap - Functions as Jail, save can be performed by any player. Higher odds of success if you are targeting an NPC. Odds increase further if there are multiple people participating.

Call for Desertion - Advanced action. Opposition leader must announce the call in the thread. Some units may or may not be disbanded. Number of units depends on opposition strength.

Armed Revolution - VERY advanced action. Must be declared in thread by opposition leader. Every player who wishes to participate for either side PMs me with this information:

- Allegiance (Government or Rebels)
- A unit type they wish to raise (Era applicable, please)
- Four promotions (in order of priority) for their unit to receive.
- Name of ship (if a naval unit, otherwise, unit will be called ______'s Company. Ships for the Government will be given the prefix FGV (French Government Vessel) and rebel ships will be RNV (Revolutionary Naval Vessel).

The leaders (President and Opposition Leader) will be represented by a regiment with a Great General attached.

Then I will use worldbuilder to create a small, flat-world map where the fighting will take place and add in the two armies. Me and my brother shall then duke it out, and you will be provided with every turn updates on the fight.

Armed Revolution Concepts:

The Foreign Legions:

The Legions will provide extra strength to the Government or the Rebels in a Revolution if nearby nations are sympathetic to the cause of either side. Foreign Ministers for both factions in a Revolution may negotiate actively with foreign leaders for more troops - though this may backfire or prove ineffectual.

Government Actions:

Martial Law - Advanced action. All opposition actions except Armed Revolution and Sabotage are made impossible, and the latter is highly unlikely to succeed. Elections are not suspended, however. Is in effect until repealed, even if the President who ordered it is not the one who repeals it. That's right - it transcends elections. However, there are penalties for this action. They include unhappiness and civilian uprisings. . . .

Jail - The administration may place another player in jail at any time . . . but this will raise the OSR and could produce disastrous consequences if not handled correctly.

The storyline behind the game will be revealed within the next few minutes. You have one week to organize your parties before I begin the first administration starting right . . . NOW!

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

Party Listing:

Party of Jupiter (PoJ)
We believe that the Gods' will be obeyed at all times, and never to be contradicted! It is the powerful Gods who have power over us mortals, not ourselves!
Leader: west india man
Members: Lelouch, MaxWar

Tribune-Patrician Party of Roma (TPPR)
The Tribune-Patrician Party of Roma is dedicated to working equally and honorably with all common and upper class people that join the cause of the Party. We seek to better Rome and it's regions through a policy of kindness and peace, and will gladly work with other parties willing to work towards the same goal as we do. Peace and Prosperity is the way; bloodshed and war when we are not ready and not prepared to do so, internally and externally, shall lead to only ruin and corruption of the nation.
Leader: Tycho
Members: General Olaf, nightcreature, LeHam, spaceman98,

Cult of Ba'al (CoB)
Introducing, the Cult of Baal, a political/religious party dedicated to Carthaginian nationalism in the Greater Roman sphere of power.
Leader: momo1000
Members: Sparthage, marvinmartian, Princeof Persia,

Roman National Democratic Party (RNDP)
Take over germany, france, spain, greece, minor asia, russia, persia, egypt, north africa and the balkans. Create a lot of farms so the people can support with the food our armys. Built wonders and cultural buildings to promote roman national identity.
Leader: christos200
Members: Kinich-Ahau,

National Conservative Party of Rome (NCPR)
We are the Conservative party! We believe power should be kept in the hands of the wealthy and the educated, as the commoners lack the knowledge, training, and experiance to run the empire. We support the power of the senatorial members over the Emperor, now president, as together we have more wisdom than he. We are disaproving however, of the new democracy idea, and beleive we should impose as many restrictions as possible on the voting proccess, in order to maintain the strength of our empires leaders.
Leader: Dem Taqat
Members: mayor, ilduce349, MoreEpicThanYou,

Romam quam Romani Party (RRP)
We are Romans, act like it! Not the inferior people we conquered, but the mightiest of all the empires to ever exist! Nothing can come close to our greatness, and only by slaying our enemies will we ever become better. It is time for a new Rome, for a New Age! Down with the senate, rise dictator rise! Rome for Romans!
Leader: Red_Spy
Members: Sonereal,

Insanely Mad Warmongers Party (IMWP)
We believe that ROME should conquer the world! We need to destroy all enemies in our way! Of course, we need a good economy to support our army, so we support a good economy. And we need science to get Modern Armours, which are awesome, so we support science as well. But most of all we want to destroy and conquer! EXTERMINATE!!!
Leader: NinjaCow64
Members: None Yet

Independents:

Coalitions
Roman Way Coalition (PoJ, NCPR, RRP)
Insane Nationalist Coalition (IMWP, RNDP, TPPR)

ELECTIONS
First Presidential/Gubenatorial Part 1
FP/G Part 2

Joining, but independent until I see a party I like the look of.

The Senators that were gathered around the statue milled around for some time before their attention was directed at the podium standing before them. Behind it stood General Tambien, who many thought would now take the position of Emperor. Of course they all knew that he was a liberal, and had sought to increase democracy in Roman lands for years, but when a person had a chance to grab power, they grabbed it. Tambien cleared his throat, and began to speak.

“Senators of the Roman People! As you all know, I have been in charge since the great Augustus Caesar’s death.”

A murmur rumbled through the crowd at this announcement. Now General Tambien would announce that he would be the new Emperor.

“I am here to announce that I will NOT become Emperor.”

A shocked wave of noise filled the square with the announcement. The exclamations were different, but ultimately the same. “WHAT!?!?!?! This is NOT the way it goes!”

Tambien continued, shouting over the growing noise, “INSTEAD I HAVE DECIDED TO LET YOU, THE SENATE RUN ROME.” That shut up the assembled senators pretty quickly. “It will be democratically elected, and I hope that this will lead Rome into a bright new future. Now, I will leave you to your devices. Here is the latest information I have on the situation of Rome....”

Spoiler State of Rome :

OOC: lol Caesarea :D

Nevermind, party coming later

Edit: Get the latest RFC!

I shall found the

Party of Jupiter!

We believe that the Gods' will be obeyed at all times, and never to be contradicted! It is the powerful Gods who have power over us mortals, not ourselves!

I will join the party of Jupiter

The Tribune-Patrician Party of Roma

The Tribune-Patrician Party of Roma is dedicated to working equally and honorably with all common and upper class people that join the cause of the Party. We seek to better Rome and it's regions through a policy of kindness and peace, and will gladly work with other parties willing to work towards the same goal as we do.

Peace and Prosperity is the way; bloodshed and war when we are not ready and not prepared to do so, internally and externally, shall lead to only ruin and corruption of the nation.

^ I can live with joining that. I'll be in the Tribune-Patrician Party.

The Cult of Baal

Introducing, the Cult of Baal, a political/religious party dedicated to Carthaginian nationalism in the Greater Roman sphere of power.

The Roman Party of the People:
Our goal is to ensure that the upper class does not opress the lower one. We are dedicated to upholding democracy and the power of the people. Our current goals are to end slavery and ensure equality and peacful integration of conquered people.

The Roman Party of the People:
Our goal is to ensure that the upper class does not opress the lower one. We are dedicated to upholding democracy and the power of the people. Our current goals are to end slavery and ensure equality and peacful integration of conquered people.

End Slavery? Wtf is this crazy idea! :thumbsdown:

Edit: Oh! and btw, that was 100th post! :banana:

I shall join the Tribune-Patrician Party.

I feel an inclination toward the party of Jupiter here. Is there a post for Minister of Inquisition or something similar? Sorry, i admit i barely read only half of the rules yet, im a bit on the lazy side right now. I think ill just go to sleep "yawn" and sort this out tomorrow.

I will be sending out invites to the Realpolitik group members in the Tribune-Patrician party in the morning. I've been stapling my eyelids open, and that's not a feasible, long term strategy right there.

End Slavery? Wtf is this crazy idea!

Edit: Oh! and btw, that was 100th post!
OOC: I know this is directly opposite to the ideas of the RL Roman Republic, so why not! :p

The Roman National Democratic Party:

Goals:

1) Take over germany, france, spain, greece, minor asia, russia, persia, egypt, north africa and the balkans.

2) Create a lot of farms so the people can support with the food our armys.

3) Built wonders and cultural buildings to promote roman national identity.

Top Bottom