New unit WWII 105mm field artillery

Smoking mirror

Ships Captain
Something Iv'e been working on and had not got around to posting yet. I also plan to do a more advanced Anti tank artillery at some point.

Here are the files

Please test it and tell me if there are any problems, perhaps it needs to be made smaller or recentred etc...
Heres a little low quality preview;

Attachments

• howattack.gif
    howattack.gif
    11 KB · Views: 3,981
Cool unit I will have to add it to my mod.

This is for a scenario that ive been planning for a long time, it may get finished some day, but untill that point I am just going to keep on making the units untill I've got all the ones I want.

A little info on this unit. At the begining of the 20th century artillery was only realy needed as an anti-infantry weapon, big guns fired big explosive shells to decimate enemy troops. As tanks were developed to counter the general anti infantry warfare of the time artillery had to be redesigned to fall in to two categories;
Those that fired explosive shells used to kill infantry.
Those that fired solid shells designed to punch through armoured vehicles.

There are ways to simulate this in civ III, like for instance having armoured units have high stats but low HPs and having infantry have high HPs but lower attack and defence values; The anti tank guns should have high attack values, but low rate of fire, while the Anti infantry guns should have high rate of fire but low bombard value.
The artillery in civ III seems like a half and half design, required to use both types of amunition; However the requirements of each type of gun are different. Anti-tank guns need to fire solid rounds at high velocity, while anti-infantry guns need to fire high explosive shells at a lower velocity, the ability to fire shells up and over intervening terrain or obstacles is a great advantage when laying down an artillery barrage.

This would only realy be needed for a scenario, if you want to use it in game, I would recomend a artillery upgrade with a range of 3 and no resource requirement.

aw man, now i,m going to have to redo my upgrade paths. thanx for this unit dude :)

Great job on the unit SM :goodjob:. Great now I need to create a Light and Heavy Artillery Classes :).

BTW Smoking Mirror, Is this unit considered a Light Artillery?

This makes me miss the 'pikeman'? flag from Civ 2. It made pikemen twice as effective against cavalry. But but setting the flags for tanks and anti-tank weapons you could simulate a unit that had high defense against armor without being very effective against infantry attacks. So this could be a 2.7 that would defend against armor at 14. But alas they removed that ability.

Originally posted by JoseM
is this unit only for civ3 the original or for PTW, or for both?

It can be used for Both :)

:mad: That's what I get for not checking regularly. :rolleyes:
I didn't even know you had made this. Can't there be a news letter or something?
At least I have it now :love: but, I really needed it earlier when I invaded England :rolleyes:.........and Spain :mischief:

Two things, first "Attackblitz.wav" has the extention ".amb" in the ini :) So everyone who has downloaded so far needs to fix it or it will incur a crash ;)
Second....an in game preview for SM. It looks a little of center, but not to much to worry about it. I could only tell after it was cropped from the whole screen.

Attachments

• how.jpg
    how.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 2,689
Top Bottom