News: TSG25 Announcement

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Civilization 5 - Game of the Month Training Series Game 25
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\//////////////////////////////////////////

Welcome to the twenty-fifth game in the GOTM V Training Series! There are plenty of new features in Civilization 5 to explore and the Training Series games will allow new and old GOTM fans to try out these new features in a friendly environment. You are all encouraged to post your questions, stories, advice, tricks and failures in the dedicated game threads described below. You can read more about the GOTM and Training Series concept in this thread. Before going into the details of this game, we would like to ask you to abide to our most sacred rule: don’t replay any turns. If you make a mistake, accept it and try to recover. It's better to do the bad moves in the Training Series instead of in the actual GOTM competition, once it starts.

In this game, the designated VC is Domination. You may win by any VC you wish, as all VC's are enabled, but the results will be posted with fastest finish by Domination victory and then all other VC listed below by fastest time. Good Luck!

In this game you will play as Elizabeth and lead the English civilization to victory. It's a large sized archipelago map played at Immortal difficulty and at Epic pace. Domination victory is the designated VC for this game, all victory conditions are enabled. You will have until January 1st to complete the game and submit.

Mac players are welcome as you currently have the same version as windows. :cheers:

Please note that you are only allowed to build Oxford University one time. :nono:

Civ V - TSG25 Game Settings:
Playable Civ: Elizabeth - England
Number of AI Opponents: 12
Number of City-States: 25
Map type: Archipelago
Map Size: Large
Difficulty Level: Immortal
Temperature: Temperate
Game pace: Epic
Game options: Complete Kills, Raging Barbs, No City Razing and Promotion saving are enabled. Policy Saving is disabled. Quick Combat is disabled (You can enable it by following instructions in this link.)
Game Version: This game was created in Civ5 version 1.0.1.383

In this game, you will be playing as Elizabeth, you possess Sun Never Sets. You receive plus 2 movement for all naval units.

You can train the Longbowman, which replaces the Crossbowman. The Longbowman has a greater range than the Crossbowman, allowing it to attack enemies three hexes away, often destroying them before they can strike back. Like other ranged units, Longbowman are vulnerable to Melee units. You must discover the technology of Machinery and do not need a resource to build it.

You can also train the Ship of the Line, which replaces the Frigate. The Ship of the Line has a higher ranged combat strength than the Frigate while being slightly cheaper to produce. It can see one hex farther than the Frigate, allowing it to spot enemies in a significantly larger section of ocean. You must discover the technology of Navigation and have Iron available to build it.

This is where you will start:

Information about threads associated with TSG
TSG Announcement thread (this one). This thread is used to announce the game and clarify the settings and rules (don’t be afraid to ask questions). It’s also used to discuss the game before you start, and post problems with opening the save. Please don’t post any information from a game you have started. Instead use the next thread.

Game In Progress thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once it's on the way. There are no reading or posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play.

After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state (preferably in the post title) your victory date and score, as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory! , We will create a separate thread with the results at the end of the two week period (sorted by date and score). Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences. The game will not be closed as such, but after two weeks, the results will be compiled, and will not necessarily be updated with reports coming in after the finish date.

File Upload System
We now have a game file upload system you can find here. Please use it to upload your completed first attempt by saving the game on the turn after your victory or defeat. (by using the "lemme play one more turn" feature)

This game runs for four weeks and ends Sunday, 1 January 2012.

The Save can be found here.

As it is almost Christmas, thought you might like to have 12 civs (the 12 days of Christmas) to party with. :mischief:

To play with the theme of 25, there are 25 City-States and at least 25 Ancient Ruins spread across the map. You just have to find them before the AI does. ;)

Good Luck. :thumbsup:

Complete kills and no city razing? Thank goodness domination doesn't actually require conquering everyone...

How does complete kills work with city states?

How does complete kills work with city states?
Haven't tested it, but since City-States can be liberated, I assume there isn't really much effect? Do they ever "die"?

Very exciting looking game. Nice starting position. Should be epic :p

Thanks Eric.

Quick question: When you build a harbor or seaport, is the atoll considered a resource? In other words do you get another hammer out of it like you would with the fish?

no city razing, immortal and a large map, how you guys planning to deal with the low happiness?^^

I suppose the warrior shall move 2 tiles sw, if nothing spectacular down there -> settle on the gold to the north?

I suppose the warrior shall move 2 tiles sw, if nothing spectacular down there -> settle on the gold to the north?

I'm going to make the same move as you with my warrior, but I expect to settle in place. I want the river and all the goodies in the first and second ring. I don't expect to build many if any wonders in this one.

Good happiness resources, good food resources. Nice start. :D

Quick question: When you build a harbor or seaport, is the atoll considered a resource? In other words do you get another hammer out of it like you would with the fish?

I'm interested in the answer to this question as well.

Honest question here. Why would you chose to settle on the gold, rather than settle in place and work the highly productive gold tile? I'm sure I'm missing something, because I see this sort of strategy all the time and just don't get it.

Happy GotM-ing, everyone!

If you settle on the gold, you get more immediate production from the hill tile (for building early wonders fast I presume). Plus as soon as you research mining you get the resource (for faster happy and gold if you can meet somebody.

That is my guess. But I am not a very good player so I could easily be wrong...

I played a complete kills game as America a few weeks ago and left Spain with just a Great General after taking their last city. I ignored that last unit for the rest of the game.

In another complete kills game I took out one CS to make another one happy. However, I took out their last unit after capturing the city and did not get the credit for the mission. So if you're going to capture a CS for a mission make sure you kill all its units before capturing the city.

As for this game I think settling in place will be best.

I am curious what people are planning to focus on with social policies since policy saving is not allowed, I hate to burn extra ones on things I do not plan to focus on later in the game (assuming I make it to later in the game...never won an Immortal game before). I will (and usually do) take the starting spot...one or two moves can set you back in the tech tree against an already stronger AI.

If you settle on the gold, you get more immediate production from the hill tile (for building early wonders fast I presume). Plus as soon as you research mining you get the resource (for faster happy and gold if you can meet somebody.

That is my guess. But I am not a very good player so I could easily be wrong...

yeah, think its so you can get a quick sale on the luxury - handy to buy an early worker.

As you won't meet anyone for a while on here, I'll probably settle in place.

I am on it like a car bonnet!

Large and epic, this will hurt time wise. guess i wont be doing this one in the one sitting.

and just as i was starting to get in to Skyrim. God its good to slay dragons.

Good set-up. Last Major HoF game was similar. I already know what i will do.

Atols are features like flood plains, not resources, so they don't benefit from Seaport.

Edit : I was wrong, they benefit from Lighthouse, thx for correcting me Leif.

Top Bottom