Weird modding anomoly

Rob (R8XFT)

Ancient Briton
Retired Moderator
I'm happily modding Anno Domini - but have come across a strange problem I can't fix, so wondered if anyone else had seen anything similar. On the set-up screen, only the two civs whose leaders come first alphabetically show on the list. There's a different leader already selected from the last game I played; however, if I go onto the advanced set-up screen, I can pick any leader in the game from the drop-down menu. There are screens attached to show you what I mean ;).

It's a real head-scratcher this one. I've gone through all the xml files and systematically deleted a group of them (from actions in modbuddy) to see if it still happens. It does, no matter which ones are there or not. I must be missing something...though it is odd that it only affects the set-up screen!

There are no other mods selected when I run this mod, just the Anno Domini mod. If I add Ambrox's 10 Mediterranean civs mod, there's four civs available from the start-up screen and another barely visible, but no slider at the right-hand side to view any of the other civs.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please? It's not affecting the actual gameplay; the civs are still all visible in the civilopedia, just not on the start-up screen.

Attachments

• 2011-12-03_00001.jpg
    2011-12-03_00001.jpg
    301.8 KB · Views: 169
  • 2011-12-03_00003.jpg
    2011-12-03_00003.jpg
    372.3 KB · Views: 104
  • 2011-12-03_00004.jpg
    2011-12-03_00004.jpg
    363.3 KB · Views: 75
The select screen UI is very specific.

One UU, one UB, one trait per civ. Anything less/more than that will crash it.

Here are your most likely problems:

1) A civilization is missing a unique unit. It's improperly defined or linked incorrectly. Search for errors.
2) A civilization is missing a unique building. This is more dangerous because it may lead to crashes. This can be for a variety of reasons. The building could have no buildingclass, you linked the building incorrectly, or whatever.
3) A civilization trait is missing. I don't know the exact effects of this, but I believe it will crash the select screen UI as well.

Check your added unique stuffs. When corrected, this problem will be fixed.

Happy modding!

The select screen UI is very specific.

One UU, one UB, one trait per civ. Anything less/more than that will crash it.

Here are your most likely problems:

1) A civilization is missing a unique unit. It's improperly defined or linked incorrectly. Search for errors.
2) A civilization is missing a unique building. This is more dangerous because it may lead to crashes. This can be for a variety of reasons. The building could have no buildingclass, you linked the building incorrectly, or whatever.
3) A civilization trait is missing. I don't know the exact effects of this, but I believe it will crash the select screen UI as well.

Check your added unique stuffs. When corrected, this problem will be fixed.

Happy modding!

Thanks a lot - that's really really useful. I've not yet added some of the unique units and buildings, so that's got to be it. I thought it was strange!

Okay, there was also a slight factual error in my post.

One UU, one UB or Two UUs per civ. I don't know about 2 UBs.

Just FYI, not related to the problem: I don't believe there's a limit on the amount of unique units/buildings you can add. I have one civ with 3 UB's (the 3rd is just flavor really).
Only 2 will show though: first the UUs, then the UBs. If you have 2 UUs, there is no way to get a UU to show up in the setup screen. But you can have it nonetheless.

Anyway, I hope your problem is resolved!

Top Bottom