TSG27 After Action Report

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Hi everyone and welcome to the TSG27 After Action Report thread. In this thread you can post the results of your game. Please state victory date and score (preferably in the post title), as recorded in the Hall of Fame, and the most important: your path to glory!

Please use the Civ5 game submission page to submit your final, first play through, .Civ5Save file, saved AFTER the victory ceremony if you were not conquered (using the "Lemme play one more turn" feature.).

Players are encouraged to provide feedback on the game. Some players like to replay the game, and although we will not record the results from a replay, you can still post your new experiences (please state if the game is a replay).

Would be interested to hear any thoughts on game setup. :)
Do you like Deity level games?

Well, that's that. I'm not going to be able to finish this. Why on earth is it, that every cultural game I play, I'm up against a warlike germany.

On meeting germany: "Oh, I hope our nations have a long and happy peace"
Five turns later: "backstab is such an ugly word..."

I had a 100 turn long defensive war against germany, that I eventually paid off when he started surrounding my capital, but hey fair enough, not much else I can do. Next turn siiam declared war on me, repeat with elephants. Managed to bribe him off after fending him off for 15 turns. Then germany declares on me again.

By this time I was behind on tech, it would take me 20 turns to get a social policy despite having only one city, multiple wonders and every cultural building I could as well as a completed Piety social tree, I had no workers, a negative gold income with no gold, no luxuries, and a -5 happiness.

Sick of Germany. Sick of being placed right next to him in 8 games out of 10.

Not sure if I should post here, but turn 273 cultural victory on my 2nd attempt. Last 70 turns were fending off attacks with massed artillery. I had 12 artillery by the end with my northern and eastern fronts heavily roaded so I could move and shoot.

Policies were Liberty->Representation, all Piety, Tradition->Legalism, all Freedom, finish Tradition, finish Liberty, all Commerce.

I built the Oracle, Colossus, HS+PT+ND, Sistine, and the Louvre.

Key things in the game for me were 1)A lucky peace deal after a defensive war that gave me 2200 gold equivalent + one of Germany's cities, and 2)Maintaining a DoF with Hiawatha (who eventually killed Germany and Wu) through the entire game.

Posting your win/loss and how you achieved it is what this thread is for. :goodjob:

Please submit your first try, win or lose (you'll probably be in good company!) :)

If you play a second time, please feel free to discuss the differences in what you did and how the game progressed here as well.

Good Luck! :thumbsup:

OK, I abandoned my first game around turn 70 and didn't play it to completion, though after reading some other's reports I'm pretty sure it was a loss. I mentioned some of the things I did differently in the 2nd playthrough in the in progress thread.

Code:
Game: 	Civ5 GOTM 27
Date submitted: 	2012-01-06
Reference number: 	25461
Your name: 	tithin
Your email: [mod3]removed for security reasons[/mod3]
Game status: 	Conquest Loss
Game date: 	740AD
Turns played: 	147
Base score: 	247
Final score: 	247
Time played: 	NA
Submitted save: 	TGS27_Loss.Civ5Save

My save's up, as requested. I actually went back after work today and had a peaceful twenty turns, when Germany and Siiam both declared war on me in the same turn. Over those twenty turns, the sistine chapel and louvre both went, so I knew it was a loss.

Game: Civ5 GOTM 27
Date submitted: 2012-01-06
Reference number: 25463
Your name: Monthar
Game status: Conquest Loss
Game date: 920AD
Turns played: 156
Base score: 189
Final score: 189
Time played: NA
Submitted save: TSG27_Defeat.Civ5Save
Renamed file: Monthar_C502701.Civ5Save

Rather than have Germany take Lyon, I sold the city to Gandhi. I then sold my other 2 cities to Hiawatha mainly to not prolong this loss any further.

I think I will no longer be playing the GOTM when it's Immortal or Deity as both depend far to much on luck.

I will be impressed if anyone wins this one on their first try!
I found the game kinda fun in it's own way.
But maybe that's because I changed my goal from winning to just surviving 100 turns though. :)

:wallbash: turn 245.

I just couldn't resist siam's mech infantry and myc apital felt down under their hands. I'm not replaying this one. Waiting for the next GOTM.

how do you get the save for a loss? can't do one more turn of course

how do you get the save for a loss? can't do one more turn of course
From the notes at the bottom of the submission page.
2. To reach the turn after game completion select the "Play more turns ..." option after the victory ceremony, then select Save Game in the game menu. If you suffer a total defeat this option is not available, so you must submit a manual save made during the turn when you are defeated. Then select "The turn when I was Conquered".

The last autosave, if you did set them to save every turn like you're supposed to do for GOTM, works just fine for this.

The last autosave, if you did set them to save every turn like you're supposed to do for GOTM, works just fine for this.
:thanx: Monthar.

Just a note, please load the autosave, make a regular save and then submit that save. I think I remember Alan telling me something about trying not to upload autosaves as the format is a bit different and it will sometimes cause an error message from the submission system.

First attempt: I expanded too slowly. With only two cities, Germany starts to send me a huge amount of troops while expanding in my lands. Give up, no file saved.

Second attempt: REX (4 cities) creating two bottlenecks for German and Arabia. As expected both civilizations, but also Siam from the north, dowed me almost at the same time. This delayed the RAs, the first ones used for Navigation and Archaeology. Also, comparing with formivore's screen at about turn 95 my cities were too much smaller at that time. I was very luck at the end, bribing Suleiman who nucked everyone except me. This blocked the diplomatic victory for himself and the space victory for the rest. Finally, I saw one of the Suleiman spaceship parts crossing my territory and immediately blocked it in a corner. I completed the Utopia project at turn 330. Suleiman had Giant Robots at that time.

Game: Civ5 GOTM 27
Date submitted: 2012-01-07
Reference number: 25472
Your name: Quizman
Game status: Conquest Loss
Game date: 1610AD
Turns played: 232
Base score: 382
Final score: 382
Time played: NA
Renamed file: Quizman_C502701.Civ5Save

Well, wasn't that fun? Despite constant war with Germany, things were not too bad and I was finally making progress. I had lost just 1 swordsman in the whole of the game and that was just basic carelessness, but when Harun declared it only took him 10 turns to take my three cities and that was that.

As I said in previous posts, this was never going to be a winner and, as things turned out, I was quite happy to make it beyond turn 200. This was my first, and maybe last, deity game; the difference between this and immortal was quite startling.

I wonder if it might have been better to go all out military from the outset and worry about the VC later. If I am feeling suitably masochistic, I might replay the game on that basis.

in these GOTMs, do you guys lose on a turn, then reload 10 or 20 turns before to make adjustments to continue? or is this supposed to be a win from beginning to end with only restarting from the beginning if you lose and nowhere else?

i know i have no chance at deity level and im not gonna try this until i get better at certain victory types, but im curious as to what im viewing here in terms of what's allowed. i read the intro about everyone playing with the same starting settings from save file.

in these GOTMs, do you guys lose on a turn, then reload 10 or 20 turns before to make adjustments to continue? or is this supposed to be a win from beginning to end with only restarting from the beginning if you lose and nowhere else?
The rules for GOTM are located at this link. There is no reloading allowed in GOTM competition. As we are not yet able to host competitions due to lack of mods, we are running the Training Series of Games (TSG). So it is not really a competition, but we are following GOTM rules as best as we can.

Hope that answers your question.

nice. it is in the 1st line of The Rules. i kind of guessed that there was no hindsight replays. that totally makes this pretty impressive to me. i have problems winning any games past warlord without a couple 20 turn resets. im still working my way up to doing that in higher levels. when i get to that level i might try one of these out. i like these kinds of constraints.

btw, the resets mostly come from things like spending 18 turns to build the Hagia Sophia only to have it sniped in the last 3 or 4 turns. that is such an enthusiasm killer. some others came from still learning the game and how certain victories work.

Turn 134 loss...

I have captured Berlin, and 2nd in tech. The Siam finally DOW on me.
I hold him off quite easy (2 Treb+Crossbow+Capital) but Harun Dow me (expected because have a city betweek my 2 cities :) but not yet). Paris fell to Elephants+Trebusets.
Even if i do this right Siam would have run away with 10+ CS ally and lots of cities.

nice. it is in the 1st line of The Rules. i kind of guessed that there was no hindsight replays. that totally makes this pretty impressive to me. i have problems winning any games past warlord without a couple 20 turn resets. im still working my way up to doing that in higher levels. when i get to that level i might try one of these out. i like these kinds of constraints.
The philosophy is that with everyone playing the same save, we can compare our games and work together to improve everyone's play. That is why it is important to try to participate in the spoiler threads. :please:

Top Bottom