MIOT - Marmots and Ferrets the Imperium OffTopicum

Robert Can't

Éponine

Haven't you ever wondered who would win in a fight; an Nation of Ferrets or a Kingdom of Marmots?
No?
Have you had a sad and deprived life?

You are a small mammal from either the marmot of ferret families on a quest for ultimate power. You'll start of with a small area of land inhabited by your species and you will slowly expand your territory as more food becomes available. As you grow you will organize, find new ways of scouring food and governing yourselves. However times won't always be nice and happy, sometimes you will find a lack of food and your species may decline for a while. But mostly you will be a bountiful paradise for your species, ever expanding, ever building... Until there is no more room.
Then it become a battle for survival against your neighbors as the search for food becomes ever more self destructive.

Will you survive to see your species thrive?
Or will it fall victim to a Malthusian catastrophe?

Whichever it is, only you can lead your species to victory.

Starting the game:
Spoiler :

Firstly pick a species name. This can be real or made up, however your species must fall into the category of Marmot or Ferret. You should post both the common and scientific names of your species and state weather ferret or marmot.
Next pick 20 territories from the map at the end of this post. They must all be adjacent to each other unless you start on an island with less than 20 territories on it. If so you may move on to claim on the next closest landmass but only if you have first claimed all the territories on your starting landmass. Equally so if you start on a landmass greater than 20 territories you may not claim on other landmasses.
If you want to you can also give a brief description of your species.
Pictures are nice too.
Flags are an added bonus.

Also the Marmots have a Absolute/Constitutional Monarchy and Ferrets have a Dictatorship/Republic. Pick whichever one you want if you want to.

Rules
Spoiler :

This is a game that depends on food. Your species needs food to survive and the amount of food dictates how far you can expand that turn.

The amount of food is worked out as a random normally distributed number with mean of (number of farms) and SD of (Number of territories/4).
- Basically you get a number each turn. More farms=higher number, More territories=gambling.
If this is a negative number you lose territories.:eek:
If two nations of the same family are next to each other then the amount of food for both of them is the mid point between the average of their two scores and their own score.
-Basically 2 nations together means that your food supply will be closer together therefore making you less likely to have a food crisis if you are bordering a nation of the same animal family

Important:
You must expand to survive. The amount of food you get signifies the number of unoccupied territories you can claim. If it is a negative number you will lose that number of territories, which ones will be decided by myself. You must expand with at least half your food count in a turn f you do not (due to not enough space or entirely filling your landmass) then you lose twice that amount of food from your next turns count. This means that if you do not expand your empire will start shrinking. This is why you can build armies...

The other variable is CP.
CP stands for construction points and is a measure of your nation's capacity for building stuff. This is what you can build:

Farms (5CP) - Farms provide +1 to the mean food count and -0.25 to the standard deviation
Market (5CP) - Provide +1 to the standard deviation and +1 to the resultant food if it is less that -1 to a maximum of 0
Food Store (10CP) - Provide +2 to resultant food if it is less than -4 to a maximum of 10
Council Building (40CP) - You only have to claim 1/4 of your food to meet your quota for safe expansion. You may also exchange food for CP at a rate of 1/4 of your food for half that number in CP
Parliament (100CP) - Same effect as Council Building except you can trade 1/2 your food for half that number of CP
Mountain Castle (20CP Marmot only) - Secret effect
Forest Fort (20CP Ferret only) - Secret effect
Royal Palace (100CP Marmot only) - Secret effect
Monument of National Pride (100CP Ferret only) - Secret effect
Army (2CP) - Can be used to forcibly claim other species' grounds

Fighting

Armies are used in two ways. Either to make forced claims or to defend your territory.
Forced claims are a way of filling your expansion quota if you run out of land in your landmass as described earlier. They can claim one neighboring territory belonging to someone else or a territory belonging to someone else on a different landmass (Note that it is impossible to peacefully expand to another landmass).
Defense automatically happens when an enemy attacks you and one of your own armies will be sacrificed in order for a territory to remain yours - the enemy army is also destroyed.
Spoiler spoiler :
The secret effects of the 4 Species specific buildings will come in here

To summarise: Food=Expansion points, CP= Building stuff, Armies claim territories and are killed in a 1:1 ratio.

Map:
Spoiler :

reseved

Could there be a different map? earth maps are fine but we get a lot of them...

The Siberian Tree Ferret

Siberian Nemus Ferret

Spoiler :

The Siberian Tree Ferret, or Siberian Nemus Ferret, resides in the coldest reaches of Siberia. It has grown exceedingly large for its species, beginning to look more like a wolverine than an actual ferret.

This sounds interesting. I think I'd like it.

Amazonian Ferret - Mustela putorius furo var. amazonius
Spoiler :

Flag:

The Mustela putorius furo var. amazonius , commonly known as the Amazonian Ferret thrives in the Amazon Jungles and around the Amazon River. The rich variety of life gives them plenty of food sources. The tricky ferrets have learned to outsmart jungle predators. Generations of ferrets became more and more intelligent and before long the Amazonian Ferret began to form a civilzation in the heart of the rainforest. The society quickly spread up and down the River, stopping at the Andes Mountains and along the coast of South America. Before long, one ferret, known by his followers only as Ferretus rose up and began to subjugate many. After a bloody civil war, Ferretus was the dictator of the Amazonian Ferrets and the head of a new cult centered around himself. The religion, of course, was called Ferretusism.

Claims:
Spoiler :

Attachments

• MIOT Map.jpg
    MIOT Map.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 628
  • MIOT Flag.jpg
    MIOT Flag.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 709
Carthaginian Disco Ferret
Mustela punica disco

Carthaginian Disco Ferrets are native to the Northern Coast of the Maghreb. They were created when Trinidadian Scientists, suffering from a severe case of Disco Fever, created a time machine in an attempt to spread the virus that causes Disco Fever, Discovirus psychedelicus, to past humans so that the world could experience the greatness of Disco millennia in advance. As the scientists prepared to travel through time, one of them decided to bring his pet Ferrets with him, just because. When they made their planned first stop, in Carthage, the scientists were slaughtered by Roman Troops sacking the city- for a computing error had resulted in them landing in the City six hundred years later then they had planned to. Though the scientists were no more, the ferrets they brought with them survived, and were subsequently infected with Disco Fever. As the centuries wore on, repeated outbreaks of Disco Fever in the Ferret Population led to the virus becoming an essential part of their cells. In 1375, the Ferrets became sapient, and a Dictatorship of Disco was formed beneath the ruins of Carthage.

The Marmots of Bear Island

The ferocious bear-marmot, a wicked hybrid between the both species, was sired on Gotland (called Bear Island by its non-sentient residents) after a bear and a marmot fell in love and lived happily ever after (read: had sexual intercourse). Generations later, the bear blood was diluted, but a giant space rock came down and hit the island. Hard. In the ensuing chaos, the descendants of the original bear-marmots developed intelligence and psychic powers, and killed all the other marmots (and the giant naked tailless monkey things known as "humans"). Today, they are led by King Jorah Marmont, a renowned psychic (and vampire) who fights with a magic sword called Longpaw. Longpaw is made of steel from the space rock, and can go through flesh like a chainsaw through butter. Jorah scorns democracy like a boss, and has none of that "constitutional monarchy" nonsense anywhere near his regime.

The Horde of Non Ferrets
Marmots de terra non de migale

In 1000 A.D, after a long battle with the native Mongolians, the marmots took over the land of Mongolia, but quickly fought between themselves for power. Finally, in 1200 A.D, Dominus Marmoto Khan united the bickering tribes, and attacked the Ferret State of China. After annexing the state, he then attacked all the known world, and utterly failed. He then sent himself to a year of exile for his failures, and when he returned he was surprised to see everything gone, like everyone just moved away. He then was eaten by a eagle that thought he looked tasty.

Meanwhile his son, Non Ictis Khan, was leading the entirety of the country west, after having a vision given to him by supposedly the Marmot Gods. They arrived at the shores of the Aral Sea, the so-called promised land foretold by the gods. It wasn't. The very next day the land had a giant Earthquake for no reason, followed by a several year-long drought, where over half the population died. Non Ictis himself died when he fell in the Aral while drunk.

Exactly five-years after the arrival, rains returned to the land, and Marmot kind once again flourished on the steppes. But there was still the matter of who to choose to be the leader. The Elders voted on who to be the next leader, and after days of voting, Vita Regem was chosen as the new Khan. The day after his coronation he shut down any elections, and installed himself as dictator. He then annexed a large amount of sand that he called his kingdom, and pledged to support Marmot Kind all over the globe.

Spoiler :

Malthus Imperium OffTopicum

He looks a bit like a ferret too...

Due to a request Mongoose is now a pickable species.

I claim Greece. More info later.

Republic of Greek Ferrets

Flag:

Greek Ferrets:

Gonverment: Republic

Claims:

Spoiler :

@Christos that's quite a small map, hard to make out... Also you seemed to claim more than 20 territories I've changed it to best accommodate your claims. This alright?

Spoiler :

@hoplitejoe I've picked this map as it has a large enough number of territories for this to work. I wanted to use a different map but there were no others which had a significant enough number of territories. Still I would have made a different one if my map skills hadn't been being used in preparation for my next IOT.

@all Yes, at first i thought of this as more a testing ground for the rules for my next one, however when writing the rules for this one I decided that this game really does constitute a IOT in its own right.
Spoiler :
This is a spoiler meaning it may spoil something
Spoiler :
Stop here if you don't want it spoiled
Spoiler :
In my next IOT:
Spoiler :

I agree with the change.

4 players + christos isn't really enough to make this worth my while.

I'm just going to say that if I don't have a sufficient influx of players by tomorrow then I'll consider this deaded.

Probably because nobody likes Marmots or Ferrets... or that so many people are starting IOTs right now.

Right... I sleep now.

If by the time I wake up there isn't at least one more sign up then the Marmots, Luna, Fluttershy, and even the Ferrets will cry. You don't want that. Especial not when the horde of angry Bronies come knocking on your door wanting reparations for making their ponies cry.

Double A, I leave the task of gathering the clans in your very capable hands. Don't let me down.

- Robert Can't

Top Bottom