TSG28 Game in Progress

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to the TSG28 Game in Progress thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing. There are no reading or posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through about the first 60 to 80 turns.

-Who did you target first?
- What were your initial priorities?
- What tech path did you follow?
- What Social Policies did you choose and why?
- Did you prioritize any Wonders?

When you've completed your game, please post your victory, or defeat, in the TSG28 After Action thread.

I'm up to turn 167 and have only wiped out Monty so far. I currently have open borders with Alex so I can scout his lands before attacking. I've built a few wonders, Great Library, Hagia Sophia, Chichen Itza, Machu Picchu and I'm 9 turns from finishing the Porcelain Tower.

I built 3 cities. I moved SE along the river and settles next to the mountain, where the single forest was, between the 2nd 2 wheat tiles. The 2nd city I put on the hill that gabe the horses and 2 calender lux all in the 1st ring. The 3rd I settled up near Barringer Crater on the tundra putting the iron in the 2nd ring, BC and the Pearls in the 1st ring. This lets me have 3, if not all 4 fish in this city's 3 rings. Even if I just missed 1 fish, that's still pearls and 3 fish for harbor and sea port to boost production.

My social Policies so far are Tradition and the wonder boosting one. Then Honor left side to get my units promoted up faster and Piety down to the golden age.

I've got my Keshiks can buy a caravel as soon as I have the cash again and I think I almost have longswords researched and have the tree set-up to head towards muskets.

I'm not very happy with how slow I'm progressing, nor how long I took to wipe out Monty. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see the top guys finishing the game before I even finish off Alex.

the short of it is i picked one very wrong battle in the 1300s. id taken out monty and alex, puppeted their cites, and razed 2 of alex's. the big two armies in the game were rome and me. rather than take the weaklings (china, siam, arabia) i went straight for Rome. he had maybe 20 cities to my 13, but i was only 5 away from his capital. that got into an entrenched costly battle where i only took 3 of his cities while he settled 2 more and 1 CS over a 300 year period. he took out germany for me. i only lost one of my legacy promoted guys, and he lost tons of units, but he had 20 cities to keep pumping them out.

its 1750, i still have rome, siam, china and arabia to get and rome already has infantry and cannons (and i have cannons and infantry but later to the game than he did). i signed a few key RAs but not enough before my warmongering kept anyone from being willing. i wasted time on certain wonders. i didnt spend my cash well. had to rush buy some happiness to keep it from being in the -20+ area. i finished liberty and honor and got 2 policies in autocracy (which ive never used before--just thought id try it). i should have gone patronage and had more than 2 CS friends when Rome and Arabia had all the rest. i got past scouts fast enough that i forgot to garrison them while they were cheap but before i got to that Honor policy to help with happiness.

i can still certainly win this, but i wasted my keshik window of opportunity as im going against units that take a couple turns to finish off with 8-10 keshiks. i probably cant do it until the 1900s which really sucks. i wanted to get one in the 1800s. just a big fail all around. but i learned a few things, so i guess that's okay.

I chose a horsemen rush, initialy but Montezuma thougth of killing me asap. I had to research Archery just to survive. But finaly, I eliminated Montezuma in classical age.

Now mounting (litteraly) an army to take on Alexander. Iron is still a little problem but my horsemen should do the trick.

First post in 3 years..

First time playing Mongolia and am impressed with the keshiks and khans no end. Being able to move, attack a city and rush back out of range = awesome.

I have 2 cities, the second just north of Hanoi (I immediately bought the whale tile). was tempted to make a 3rd in the tundra, maybe later.

I immediately allied Florence for the culture, probably could have used the gold more efficiently. stole a worker from hanoi and made some peace.
Flo wanted Hanoi dealt with, so I obliged. took awhile but got plenty promotions for the Chariot Archers. Lost one. Hanoi called me bloodthirsty for Dowing them again and locked in Permanent War; I had a message saying CSs were banding together etc, but Quebec (who I had met in early exploration) didnt seem to care at all. Now Flo wants Cape Town to get the same treatment, wherever they are.

Aztek declared in the middle of the Battle for Hanoi, easily held them off and they asked for peace quite soon. First time I have seen the "AFRAID" relationship status too. I did want to hold off until keshiks before fighting them though.

By the time I get Chivalry hard teched, I have 4 CAs to upgrade, 2 warriors upgraded to Swords, 1 archer, and 2 khans. Opened borders with azteks, scouted their whole country and met Alex

turn 140 - I have just completed taking over most of Aztek land, sweeping through from East to west, using a sword and archer and khan to hold the west end. I Peaced out leaving Monty with 2 size 7 cities between me and Alex, who I am still friendly with. I have 6 keshik, 2 khan, 2 sword, 1 pike, 1 archer

Puppeted all the cities, none I really want to sell, but I have a -10 unhappiness to deal with before I go adventuring again

Screwed out of Stonehenge, but tagged the Great Library, Colossus, Notre Dame, Hagia Sophia, Hanging Gardens.

Honor, and tradition have a few spots filled, and opened patronage, not sure if I will keep that one going. Probably have to open piety to deal with the sad faces.

Top Bottom