Retired Moderator
Game of the Month 130: January 2012

Game Settings:
Civilization: Indians
Map: Normal map, round; 6 civ's
Difficulty: Warlord
Barbarians: Villages only
Restarts: Off
Victory: OCC (OCC spaceship or OCC conquest are both allowed)

Starting Techs:
~ Horseback Riding

A bit late but still there...a new GOTM. This month we play a OCC game. You may decide to reach the star with one city or trying to raze all other cities.
Good luck and have fun. Submit your game before February 25th, 2012.[/B]

Please be sure to follow the submission guidelines when submitting your game (please do not send your files in a .zip file. Attach them directly to your e-mail with your name in the save file). No extra save is needed.

Please sent the savegames only to civ2gotm@gmail.com.

Have fun.

Edit: I have just created the page. And added the savelink in this post.

Starting save is here.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to play OCC for comparison! :)
Resource seed is 15 (by my estimation), there should be a 3-special-site on the river, a 4-special-site a little further (unsettleable lake unfortunately) and another 4-special even further, at the shore of ocean #4. Some 2-special-sites have access to ocean#1. Our continent is quite large, so there might/should be a few trading partners sharing it with us.

Good for me !!
I am on a roll...after being away for almost 2 years, this game fits like a glove.
Indians and 6 civs ??? Perfect ....!! Bring back the MIssing CIV that is one of my favavorites ..!
I have not yet look at the start....No Restarts ?? Round Map and Warlord ??

LOVE IT!!

* PS- Just
downloaded the file...Not a Great starting Location ...Latitud and Longitud are a bit too far from the Equator...Have not analized the Map , will play a few turns and after I locate at least 2 specials and a Hut or two ...this should be an Easy game.My priority then to built POLO at ALL Costs ...get a floatilla of Triremes and get to Polytheism ASAP... F-11 will be my strongest ally ...Bring back the Missing Civ and reach for the stars !

Good for me !!
I am on a roll...after being away for almost 2 years, this game fits like a glove.
Indians and 6 civs ??? Perfect ....!! Bring back the MIssing CIV that is one of my favavorites ..!
I have not yet look at the start....No Restarts ?? Round Map and Warlord ??

LOVE IT!!

* PS- Just
downloaded the file...Not a Great starting Location ...Latitud and Longitud are a bit too far from the Equator...Have not analized the Map , will play a few turns and after I locate at least 2 specials and a Hut or two ...this should be an Easy game.My priority then to built POLO at ALL Costs ...get a floatilla of Triremes and get to Polytheism ASAP... F-11 will be my strongest ally ...Bring back the Missing Civ and reach for the stars !

Did you realize this game has to be OCC? A flotilla of triremes & Poly is a little unusual for OCC.

Oopps..I do not know the rules ...never played one .
Why is it a flotilla of triremes Impossible ?
Are you not allow to use Triremes ?
How do you trade ?
Can not use Elephants ?
Again Never played one OCC Game.

I do not know the rules Of OCC.

I will skip this one I guess !

Again Never played one OCC Game.

Don't worry, there is a first time for everything! ;) The rule(s) are quite simple: You are only allowed to have one city. Don't conquer/bribe AI-cities and if you get an advanced tribe from a hut, you have to reload until you get a different outcome.
Have a look at the Paulicy(http://sethos.gmxhome.de/English/BookOfStrategies/OCC.html) and Ali's OCC guide (http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=428631) for more info.

A flotilla of boats would be a great thing to have, but you have only one city to support them (or need enough gold to bribe unsupported boats), so that might be a little hard to do.

I will try....but this is like having a Ferrari with a Volkswagen Engine....LOL.
So....BEFORE I encounter a HUT ...I have to save the Game ? and Reload ?
What about Conquering cities ?
I can raze the city ...but Not Occupy it ?
So what is the point about building armies ?
Pyramids , and Great Wall , Michelangelo and Bach will be useless...when you can build a Granery and a City Wall
Great Library , Marco, Shakespeare and King Richard will be needed..
Massive Caravan Trade will be also an issue...

Sounds Boring to me ...but I will give it a try !

URUWASHI,
You are correct, there are a lot of things that are useless. Armies are difficult to build due to support issues. They are also harder to use since you can raze an opponent's town, but you can't ever occupy one. So you have to fight different than you normally would.

That being said, I have never tried an OCCC (One City Challenge - CONQUER). So I have never tried to have a large army in an OCC. One of the 'nice' things about OCC is that with only 1 city to worry about, the game goes by very quickly. I started my game on Monday and finished it today (Saturday).

General Question:

With the non-standard time scale, are the normal dates of the save files still the same?

Oopps..I do not know the rules ...never played one .
I will skip this one I guess !

Do not skip it. Not now that, as you say, you are on a roll.
OCC has one simple rule: Never own more than one city.

So....BEFORE I encounter a HUT ...I have to save the Game ? and Reload ?
Yes, save before each hut. You will reload only when you get an advanced tribe; you keep reloading till you get some other outcome.

What about Conquering cities ?
I can raze the city ...but Not Occupy it ?
So what is the point about building armies ?
You got it. The great majority of OCC games are won by landing. OCCC (conquering the world with one city) is quite rare and in higher levels quite difficult. Kev successfully did it in GOTM 19. Dig up the spoiler and read about it.

Pyramids , and Great Wall , Michelangelo and Bach will be useless...when you can build a Granery and a City Wall
Great Library , Marco, Shakespeare and King Richard will be needed..
Massive Caravan Trade will be also an issue...
You are right on most but not all points. OCC mindset is different. Till you get used to it, it feels like playing a different game. Make sure you read the Paulicy and the draft of my guide, as Major Advantage pointed out, before starting.

Sounds Boring to me ...but I will give it a try !

OCC is anything but boring. In fact, it is often far more interesting and challenging than a normal game. A normal game is typically decided early on. Whether you are conquering or landing the latter 90% of the game (timewise) has little suspense. You know already you are wining; you just have to do it. OCC games give you much more suspense. Sometimes you are on the edge of your seat till the last 5 turns. This is unlikely to happen in this GOTM due to the fact that it is at warlord level though.

Another great advantage of OCC games is the amount of real time they take. A big problem with massive empires, particularly in landing games, is how long late turns take. In OCC games turns go far more quickly no matter how much micro management you want to do. This is the main reason that more than two thirds of the games I have played on my own (not GOTMs), have been OCC.

Ok. so are saves required to send BEFORE you open a Hut ?
Who is to say that I opened a HUT and had an advanced city....so I reload and investigate AGAIN this time I get a Technology....who is there to say that I DID not re-started the game until I got a Chariot or a Free Settler ?
I could try 5 or 10 times ..sure is a " Honor Rule "...But ...its guarantees that we just opened the HUT 20 times until we got what we want ?
IFFY...
So there is my point....shall I submit a save BEFORE I open a HUT , and one AFTER with a time constant ??
I will play it...but again this is NOT what the game was designed for....Like a Ferrari using a Volkswagen engine !
If I get Bored , I will quit.

Good Luck

Ok. so are saves required to send BEFORE you open a Hut ?
No. You turn in the regular saves based on GOTM rules.
....who is there to say that I DID not re-started the game until I got a Chariot or a Free Settler ? ..sure is a " Honor Rule "...But ...
None of what you say is limited to an OCC game. Who is to say one did not reload upon any hut outcome, or battle outcome, in any given game, OCC or otherwise? One's honor is the only gatekeeper and an OCC is no different.
I will play it...but again this is NOT what the game was designed for....If I get Bored , I will quit.
You are right. I am sure the designers of the game were blown away by the very idea. It took visionaries like Paul V. to see the possibility. Do not worry about getting bored; as I have already said, OCC is more fun in less time than the regular game.

Top Bottom