TSG29 Game in Progress

leif erikson

Game of the Month Fanatic
Administrator
GOTM Staff
Supporter
Welcome to the TSG29 Game in Progress thread. This thread is used to discuss the game once you've started playing. There are no reading or posting restrictions as such (apart from normal decency), although we encourage players to use the spoiler tags for screenshots. Here you can post questions related to the game and share your achievements/anger/frustration/victories while you play. Please remember that we are running a family friendly site, so express anger or frustration with this in mind. :)

Please use this thread to discuss your goals for the game and your opening moves through about the first 60 to 80 turns.

- What were your initial priorities?
- What tech path did you follow?
- What Social Policies did you choose and why?
- Did you prioritize any Wonders?
- Did you use Darius' golden age to any advantage?

When you've completed your game, please post your victory, or defeat, in the TSG29 After Action thread.

I'm up to turn 74. I got both GL and Oracle in the capital. My 1st RA finishes on turn 90. I'm currently building HS and will finish Liberty in 4 turns. I have 3 cities so far, all next to a mountain. I'm friends with Askia and Hiawatha. Elizabeth is friendly but thinks we may be a threat to them and wouldn't sign a DoF. Washington covets my lands.

Here are screenshots of my empire and demographics thus far.
Spoiler :

Spoiler :

My current plan is to get to Education, use a GE to get Porcelain Tower, 1 GS to bulb Astronomy and another to bulb for longswords then rush America. I will probably not build any more cities unless I need to to gain access to oil, coal or aluminum. I will, however, puppet all but 1 of the American cities to help boost my science.

Attachments

• 2012-02-01_00002.jpg
    2012-02-01_00002.jpg
    494.5 KB · Views: 466
  • 2012-02-01_00001.jpg
    2012-02-01_00001.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 674
I settled in place and started the standard exploration route. I noticed that Washington coverted my lands from the start, so there didn't seem much purpose to try to settle away from him. I placed my 2nd city near the Ivory close to Old Faithful as a block. I was going to try to box him in with a third city near the mountain, but he settled Boston there. An early inconclusive war was settled for cash and furs, but the delay set all my timings off by a couple turns. The Oracle and a policy both popped right before I could bulb to astronomy. I ended up picking up some Commerce instead.

Commerce has me rolling in Gold. I don't need the AI money for RA, I bribe them instead with the silver.

i settled 2 of my cities exactly where you did, monthar. i put the capitol one tile over across the river hoping there was more land on the other side of the 2 mountains for a better defensive spot, plus it was a hill. turns out it's not as defensive as i hoped.

i cant believe how many wonders ive been getting. i might actually upload this victory when it happens, which should be pre-1900. i know it wont be competitive but this is the first time ive never reloaded or anything and its going well. i got GL, Oracle, HS, PT, Chicken Pizza AND Taj Mahal, SH, Ox, Kremlin, plus a couple nationals and Ironworks (putting 2 cities at 50 hammers). I got beat to Himeji (with only 4 turns left too, that stung a little) and another one I dont recall.

i couldnt sign any early RAs as Askia DoWd early and i only met Washington, Hiawatha, and Catherine early and none of them had cash or luxes i could buy to pay for their RAs. but ive got 5 rolling now in the Industrial era and already churned several. Askia quickly peace treatied when i got 2 immortals, even gave me his gold and gpt for it. i finished Liberty, got the opener in Tradition (cuz it was 3 turns early from me getting to Ren era) and i have Rationalism (+right side) putting me at ~240 beakers at turn 200 which is where i am now. i havent had any happiness problems this game, the lowest was -1 after pop increased. I had 2 natural GAs and the ones from wonders/policies.

Hiawatha has been completely wiped and he DoW'd me while Catherine was taking his capitol. He only sent 4 units to try at me. Greece has DoW'd me but has to go by sea cuz he hasnt gotten around Askia who i am friendly with now. Catherine and Greece are leading score-wise but not by much, less than 100 points. I have 4 cities with pops of 13,13,11,9 right now and all have a ton of production and gold. I got horses, irons and oil but no coal or aluminum. No coal and all the CSs in Greece's pocket made me not go for the 2nd policy in autocracy that gives 25% science bonus for having factories. if i had coal i would have. instead im going for the rest of rationalism. the 2 free techs should happen close to the right timing and will prolly be the last policy i can get. i also have a ton of gold at about 90gpt before GAs but its still less than Cathy. i have about 2500 gold waiting for more RAs and unit upgrades.

Ive never been swayed by the golden ages, but getting Taj and Chicken Pizza have been really fun. i should get a GG soon too for late game GA. (plus i might get The Louvre just for 2 artist GAs.) i didnt go warring during them but i got a lot of exploration out of them. Washington has about 7 cities and seems ready to mobilize so ive had to switch gears to some unit production. tonight's session should be fun if i have to defend against Greece and America. i should finish it tonight.

This is going to be interesting. I lost Perseopolis before turn 50, after both Washington and Askia warrior rushed me. In retrospect, the placement of Pasargadae was too aggressive towards Washington. I expected it all to be over shortly afterwards, but Askia got bored, and Washington attacked Pasargadae one unit at a time. Eventually I got swords, and retook Persepolis. Both Askia and Washington popped up to pay me for peace. I think it probably is winable from here, but we can take it that the win time won't be competitive!

My plan, for what it's worth, was to use the GL to take theology, then the usual HS->PT sling-shot (which I'm still going to attempt). GL went really late - I would have had time to build it in Pasargadae as it turned out, but of course I had other things to do.

Gah - missed PT by a few turns. I ought to have bulbed Education. Built ND, going to take out Washington and try some ICS. I've got a redundant GE now - manufactory? Or should I save him for something?

Gah - missed PT by a few turns. I ought to have bulbed Education. Built ND, going to take out Washington and try some ICS. I've got a redundant GE now - manufactory? Or should I save him for something?

How close is the city with the PT? Your best bet might be to build a manufactory, produce an army, and then go take it over.

Lesson of the day: Don't opportunistically attack weak opponents on Emperor unless you want to fight a world war. I was having a lovely game, but then I just had to have Gao (pearls!), lost all my friends I was setting up for my 3rd wave of RA's, got a neverending stream of american riflemen down the neck, didn't even get Geo (cities regen faster? Greece got it eventually) lost my puppet to Greece, and ended up spending my carefully saved 5 great scientists + my gold stockpile upgrading my army to industrial standards. Several hours later I am deeply, deeply tired of blowing things up with my Artillery, and I suspect I'm losing my tech lead: Washington has artillery and cavalry too now. At least he seems to have run out of footsoldiers. I think I'll move the bulk of the army down to kick Greece until he signs a peace treaty.

This was looking like it was going to be my first emperor win, too. Well, if 3 cities was going to be enough to build all the the spaceship bits. Wasn't sure how that was going to work.

This game consists of being given thousands of opportunities to make mistakes, and somehow avoiding them.

Lesson of the day: Don't opportunistically attack weak opponents on Emperor unless you want to fight a world war.

A good example of this situation in my youtube video. Did you completely wiped a civ? I think you can declare war and keep people away from warring you if you let at least 1 city to the injured civ and keep the biggest army in the world. But i wiped Washington completely so it turned into a world war like in your game.

I used the golden age quite well right now. I got chichen itza earlier saved 3 great scientists and bulbed, gun powder, chemistry, and printing press. Then built the taj mahal while building an army and when that was done took out washington's 7 cities in less then 20 turns. It was a steam roll to say the least :D Here's a picture for you guys :p

Spoiler :

Top Bottom