Masters of Mana

[to_xp]Gekko

QCT junkie
inspired by the recent FFH succession games here, we've decided to play one with Master of Mana to showcase the recent 1.4 update. :D

the mod started as an FFH modmod ( Wild Mana ) a couple years ago and it's been evolving since then, eventually becoming standalone due to the sheer amount of differences between the two.

1.3 in particular has been a big update, with a complete overhaul of the economy system. the result is excellent, a game that's easy to play and hard to master.

Enough chitchat, let's roll a couple starts and have some fun now :D

SETTINGS:
Spoiler :

8 civs ( 2 good, 3 neutral, 2 evil + us )
Normal speed
Monarch difficulty
WorldOfErebus mapscript
Large size
Low sealevel
Medium Cohesion
Great Plains
X Wrap
Smart Climate: modify
Ancient Ruins: On

no Time Victory
no Cultural Victory

Double Events
End of Winter
Raging Wilderness
No Tech Brokering

start 1:

Spoiler :

start 2:

Spoiler :

start 3:

Spoiler :

Roster:

Gekko
NeOMega
Aline
Gromblmompf

if anyone wants to get added to the roster, just ask :)

Attachments

• momteam.rar
    288.9 KB · Views: 115
Ah its up allredy, that was fast. ^^

I dont realy like the Hippus start, looks kinda empty to me and Ilithi is kinda .... mhe.
The Ilian start looks a lot better but i cant agree on Braeden, i do like to build and he looks like the epidome of not building.
I do love the Bals and Nell is a decent enough leader in my opinion, the start looks allright.

So +1 for the first start.

I vote for the Hippus, they have the best starting location (marble is cool! and i think there will be a few more flood plains). Nell is just weird... a good Balseraph?!? And neither she nor Braeden have a river, dont like that.

My vote:

1. Ilthiridan
2. Braeden
3. Nell

no more floodplains than that for the Hippus, the way End of Winter works is that it leaves tiles with features alone ( forests, jungles, floodplains etc ) so what you see is what you get there :D

Balseraphs are always fun and Braeden's trait combo is interesting, so my choice would be:

1 Swift Nell
2 Braeden
3 Ilithiridan

let's wait for NeOmega's vote now :D

damn we've hit an impasse already... 2 votes for Nell and 2 for Ilith :D we need a tiebreaker! :)

I'd suggest to start with 20 turns each and dial it down later. that way the second turnset will start alongside with the rise of our local legend which seems fitting :)

whoever wants to do the honour of starting can go ahead... I won't be able to play for some 7/8 hours.

would be nice if we would explain how MoM works while we play, kinda like a tutorial ( since there's much to learn compared to FFH )

Since we all placed Braeden on place 2 maybe we should go for him.

As no-one else had risen to lead our people in our first years from awakening from the ice, I, NeOmega, heeded the call for our master Braeden.

Braeden, I knew, loved gold. I dare say foolishly. So for his sake, I convinced our small enclave of people it was better to surrender our extra gold to him. Though I felt it hurt our nationalist sentiment, I also felt the gold was necessary.

Our settlers sought a better spot, where we could reach deer and fish across the sea once frozen. The dungeon we had crept out of filled us all with fear. So we settled our first city, north of it, naming it Garduk. Knowing the foolishness of Braeden, and indeed, my own incapacity for this task, I asked the town to start gathering our elders for advice and knowledge. They said perhaps we should look into controlling blizzards for our gain. I felt, as a hunter, that we should also look into strengthening our numbers of hunters, and develop advanced tactics to capture the wild animals of Erebus. I knew there were going to be many more as the ice receded, and if we could tame them, we could use them to defeat our enemies.

year1:
Spoiler :

Year 2, Garduk founded, Elder council started, Blizzard research started, hunting research started.
Spoiler :

In the next few year, our scouts and warriors explored our surrounding world, and found a temple, or perhaps a shrine, which glowed within. But perhaps the most disturbing, I met with a woman, whose aura of wickedness can not be understated. Our mutual distrust was apparent. She found me boorish and rude. Perhaps I was, as I knew she would seek the help of the villagers my scouts had reported in the south, and advise them not to help us. And that is just what she did.

Year 5: Met Os-Gabella, saw she would reach the tribal village first.
Spoiler :

Unsure what to do, I bid our warriors to return home, but joined our scouts as they pressed further south. What we saw confirmed what our elders had spoken of. Far in the south, were the ruins of a once great empire from the age of magic, around an area of pink crystals, much like some we had seen earlier. The ruts of wheels still carved roads through the frozen landscape. I can only wonder what kind of ruin and war was brought about by those crystals.
Spoiler :

Although I knew it was dangerous, my scouts agreed with me to explore the roads and ruins, amongst them, we found people who claimed to be related to the inhabitants of the once huge city. We asked for maps, perhaps any ideas or technologies from the age of magic. They had none. We told them of Braeden, and how he would send armies to crush them if they did not give us what we wanted. They gave us 46 gold, and we spared their lives.
Spoiler :

For the next few seasons, we wondered amongst the ruins, searching for gold and lost secrets. All we found were the dead of the age of magic risen again in the form of skeletons, and also began to see orcs scavenging the ruins as well. We decided it was time to try to head home, knowing as the ice thawed, the orcs and goblins would become more plentiful. Indeed, they had. In fact, a runner had reported Goblins had posted a fort right outside of Garduk. This distressed me greatly, but it seemed they were as afraid to enter our lands as I was of the prospect of attacking their stronghold.
Spoiler :

Over the next few seasons, I guided my men to scout the hills south of garduk, and find a well defensible spot, where we could keep an eye on the orcs, goblins, and a look out for animals we could perhaps capture. We chose some hills in the south, and dug in, using spears and stockades to help us beset any incoming threat.
Spoiler :

I felt our fortifications were strong, and in the 20th season since Braeden began to lead us, it appeared my fortifications and men would be tested by wolves. We taunted the wolves with our cooking meat, and brought them into a trap.

Spoiler :

We had a glorious victory. Although it was difficult, and I lost a few good scouts, and the wolves fought ferociously and to the death, so we could not capture them, we had found a ring of regeneration in the stomach of one of the wolves!

turn 20, I switch my scout with warrior, then taunt to try and capture the wolf. I got a glorious victory message, and my scout got a ring of regeneration.
Spoiler :

Attachments

• Team MoM AD-0020.CivBeyondSwordSave
    247.1 KB · Views: 81
Huh what version does the save use?
When i try to load it it whants to load MoM instead of MoM beta. :S

you should probably uninstall, then:

1) install MoM 1.3
2) install 1.41 over it in Master of Mana folder ( NOT Master of Mana Beta ) . it will ask if you wanna overwrite, click "yes"

[to_xp]Gekko;11232591 said:
inspired by the recent FFH succession games here, we've decided to play one with Master of Mana to showcase the recent 1.4 update. :D

the mod started as an FFH modmod ( Wild Mana ) a couple years ago and it's been evolving since then, eventually becoming standalone due to the sheer amount of differences between the two.

This looks like it'll be a lot of fun to watch :goodjob:

But...it looks an awful lot different than the FFH I'm used to. Can you give us lurkers a link to a description of the changes?

Oh, I realized I could use taunt, to get the battle done turn 20. So I loaded the turn back up and tried to taunt, to try to capture the wolf. Please load the new save (or don't) But I got a ring of regeneration in the new save. (I didn't even know it was possible for a "glorious victory", I've never had it happen before)

NeOmega, kind of a reckless start there, I'd thought you would have built a few warriors since you DID push for raging wilderness after all ;)

also hunting is going to take us a while, I usually go for cheap worker techs first. but in your turnset you're king :king:

about that "reloaded 1 turn before" thingie, I say we just let this one slip and continue from your save, but I'd avoid that in the future.

[to_xp]Gekko;11234092 said:
NeOmega, kind of a reckless start there, I'd thought you would have built a few warriors since you DID push for raging wilderness after all ;)

also hunting is going to take us a while, I usually go for cheap worker techs first. but in your turnset you're king :king:

about that "reloaded 1 turn before" thingie, I say we just let this one slip and continue from your save, but I'd avoid that in the future.

Spoiler :

I didn't really reload... I just realized I could do more in the last turn. :blush: My original story was advising the next player to taunt, but then I realized I could taunt this turn (never played a foolish leader before, forgot about the taunt) So all I wanted to do was try to capture the wolf, but it turned out way better.

We are going to have to remember to use taunt a lot, it will probably make taking forts a lot easier.

Also, the goblins will not attack, nor will the animals, unless they are enraged, and workers can already build most everything we need, including roads, since Illians start with exploration. The way I guided the scout home was knowing there is never another fort within a 2 square radius of another. The barbarians are toothless right now, they harass around their fort, but they never invade, unless in an invasion stack. (necromancers + skeletons or goblin archers + goblins, and they usually come later in the game)

I chose hunting because I forgot about taunt, honestly :/ but getting hunters early can really help round up animals and makes expanding much easier, as animals basically are no longer a threat, and instead, become a resource of suicide units

I'll rewrite the original if Aline uses the old save. It sucks, I was spending so much time on getting cool screenshots and figuring out photobucket and taking screenshots.

ok, let's see if I can cook up a properly informative post for the ( yet :D ) non-MoM people, commenting on NeOmega's screens:

1) in the top left corner, you will notice many new icons. those would be:

mana: used to cast spells ( which can be global enchanments, terraform, combat spells or summons ) . remember how in FFH balance got ejaculated into the Ether once you got access to some OP spells? ( I'm looking at YOU, Chalid! :D ) yeah, that's a thing of the past.

faith: similar to mana, but you can also hoard it to gain new abilities depending on your religion once you have enough. investing into faith pays off!

military supply: there is now a cap on the amount of units that can be built, and you can raise it if you invest in it. this greatly diminishes the SoD madness and makes the game a lot smoother ( less units, less wait between times ) . a much welcome addition.

global yields: metal, leather, lumber boost the combat strength of appropriate unit types, and allow to buy equipment to further tailor your most valuable units.

stone can be used to rush buildings regardless of civics. herbs can be used to buy some exotic equipment, like potions, poisons etc.

global culture is the total culture generated so far by your empire, and can be spent to gain more "improvement slots" ( there's also a cap on how many tile improvements you can build now)

more on the new tile improvement system in the next post, as I don't want this one to become too lengthy O.O

Top Bottom